S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Ten Things That Will Disappear In Our Lifetime

Old 02-09-2014, 03:58 AM

Received 50 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Lovetodrive2000
I think the Post Office will be around, but not with all the services they currently offer. Home mail delivery should be cut back to 1-3 times a week, who needs it daily?

Checks?? Who really needs them? Get rid of them so the credit card companies can make even more $$$!

Books..... will be around for a long time..... just some people will go the digital route (I've been toying with this for months, but still haven't pulled the plug).

Land line, has been gone here for a few years..... Once another generation or two go buy, it will be gone.

The Cloud.... I hope things don't all migrate there.....

Privacy.. gone.... need a revolution to get it back!

I still have a "Land-Line"..... & I am ready to take part in the "Revolution".... NOW...!!!
Old 02-09-2014, 09:12 AM

Received 5,800 Likes on 3,419 Posts

Before they totally remove the land lines they better come up with a solution for the areas in states where there is no cell phone service. I for one still love my land line over our cell phones. In fact, I just bought a new cell phone and rather than go out side in 5* weather to use it I had to go on the second floor and stand by the window. On this phone the carrier is Sprint and their tower is probably no more than 1 mile away but that does not allow us any better reception due to the lay of land.

As for checks, I see a need for them as well. For example, I just paid some car club dues to a club that's about an hour away. Sure I could make a two hour drive in the middle of winter to pay the treasurer in cash. Not something I really want to do. The club can't afford to process credit cards or pay for a PayPal account. So then what… checks work very nice, thank you.

I can see the Post Office thing cutting back to one or two days a week - no big deal for me personally. Although it might be a cash flow issue for companies like utilities that are rending service 24/7 and need timely payments.

I still like my paper magazines on the throne. But when it comes to books, digital is fine. We stopped the newspaper years ago, when it became clear that local investigations were becoming less and less with downsizing.

As for change in general, sometimes its great. I love being able to say to my phone Call Donna and it comes back with Home or Cell? And then calls her. Not bad for a $12 phone.
Old 02-09-2014, 01:32 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 1,494 Likes on 1,161 Posts

Originally Posted by dlq04
As for checks, I see a need for them as well. For example, I just paid some car club dues to a club that's about an hour away. Sure I could make a two hour drive in the middle of winter to pay the treasurer in cash. Not something I really want to do. The club can't afford to process credit cards or pay for a PayPal account. So then what… checks work very nice, thank you.
I very strongly suggest that your sports car club begin to look for an alternate way to collect their dues and other monies. Checks are very quickly becoming a thing of the past. Aside from the processing costs, people are very quickly moving away from using checks.

About 1 1/3 years ago, when Adam was a freshman in college we went into the bookstore with him to buy his first term's books. After the cashier rang up the purchase we wrote out a check. It was the mistake of the day. None of the three cashiers had ever been given a check before, and none of them knew how to handle it. After a few minutes the cashier called the store manager. The manager said that they could take a check, but it's a complicated process and could we pay with a credit card. We took out our credit card and completed the transaction in a flash. The manager apologized to us and said that almost nobody pays by check anymore and the cashiers no longer know how to handle them.

I have had problems paying my Water & Sewer bills by check, and my township much prefers that the real estate tax be paid online.

My point is, I do expect paper checks to disappear in the near future. Smaller entities, like your car club, will have to find another way to collect their money.

As for magazines and newspapers, many older people still prefer them in the printed version. Unfortunately, the cost of the printed version, printing and distribution, has become prohibitive, and the relative cheap cost of publishing and distributing the electronic version is so cheap that I think it's inevitable that the paper version will sooner or later (probably sooner) disappear.
Old 02-09-2014, 02:22 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 4,035 Likes on 2,682 Posts

Checks will still be here for legal transactions.
I can't imagine going to a house closing and asking for their PayPal account.
Old 02-09-2014, 02:32 PM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

Just use bit coins!
Old 02-09-2014, 02:46 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 1,494 Likes on 1,161 Posts

Or bank drafts. (Assuming that you can still find a bank branch that isn't all ATMs)
Old 02-09-2014, 03:24 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 1,140 Likes on 771 Posts

I expect to see wristwatches disappear very soon. It's extremely difficult to find someone under 25 with a watch. After all, your phone will tell you what time it is.
Old 02-09-2014, 03:28 PM

Received 5,800 Likes on 3,419 Posts

Originally Posted by kgf3076
I expect to see wristwatches disappear very soon. It's extremely difficult to find someone under 25 with a watch. After all, your phone will tell you what time it is.
Nope. They be a fashion statement for a long time to come. So when your under 25 reaches maturity they will be wearing them with pride.

Received 3,216 Likes on 1,863 Posts

Originally Posted by kgf3076
Maybe not. Some of the young folks still like to buy the expensive watches. Status symbol. Granddaughter wanted a watch for Christmas again.

I'm still good with a Timex.
Member (Premium)

Received 2,971 Likes on 1,757 Posts

So how do people pay repairmen who don't take credit cards - like independent types? I'm not real keen on keeping around hundreds of dollars in cash to pay these people, and they charge a lot. I'm planning to give the sofa guy who comes on Tues a check. I hope he can take one. I hardly ever write checks, though, other than for that kind of thing. Never in stores anymore or for most bills. Doctor bills that come in the mail, yes.

I also love my land line. I do all my local calling on it. Not long distance, though. I'm one of those people who really dislike the iPhones/etc. I have a flip phone that only handles calls (and texts which I don't send). I don't want one of those do everything handhelds.

I like magazines and books on paper. But I do read the newspapers online now and have for quite awhile.

Quick Reply: Ten Things That Will Disappear In Our Lifetime