S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Sweet corn gotten too sweet?

Old 11-02-2008, 11:11 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Sweet corn gotten too sweet?

I'm wondering if this is just a regional thing, but to me corn has gotten way too sweet in the past 2-3 years. It's now seems almost as sweet as candy and doesn't have that cool almost nutty flavor it had in the past.

Have they recently introduced a genetically modified sweeter corn?

And then again this could be just part of the big Democratic/Republican/Libertarian ''
Old 11-02-2008, 11:28 AM

Received 45 Likes on 42 Posts

Silver Queen variety was the mainstay of sweet corn for many years and has apparently been replaced by a "super-sweet" (yes there really is such a type) corn that has a much higher sugar content. Apparently the buying public wanted this variety, frankly I prefer the old mainstay.
Old 11-02-2008, 11:30 AM

When we go to the Farmer's Market we used to always buy the Silver Queen but it has become super sweet. I thought it might be just my taste buds, but I guess not.

What kind would be more like the old mainstay?
Old 11-02-2008, 11:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I take that silverqueen and freeze it for the winter. I don't find much to complain about whenever we have it. Around here we get a lot of bicolor.
Old 11-02-2008, 12:34 PM

Received 45 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Wildncrazy,Nov 2 2008, 12:30 PM
When we go to the Farmer's Market we used to always buy the Silver Queen but it has become super sweet. I thought it might be just my taste buds, but I guess not.

What kind would be more like the old mainstay?
I prefer the standard types of sweet corn, the varieties names are Merit or Jubilee and are the old type of sweet corn.
If you can find it, Starshine is usually rated tops in flavor, and is a medium (8-20%)sugar type. The highest sugar content for some cultivars is in the 25-40% range and is way too sweet for my taste.

Old 11-02-2008, 01:17 PM

Wow 25-40% sugar, I guess that's good for the soda industry but not me.

I'll start asking at the market the % of sugars. Who knows maybe someone will know.

Thanx for all the data folks.
Old 11-02-2008, 02:02 PM

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

I like plain ole field corn.
Old 11-03-2008, 10:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, the corn is now too sweet, but that's not the only thing taht is now too sweet. Baked goods have become much too sweet. Not just cakes and cookies, but also bread and rolls.

It's probably a conspiracy by the pharmaceutical company to drive more people into diabetes so they can sell more drugs.
Old 11-03-2008, 01:07 PM

I used to like plain ol' field corn too. I actually thought that was more or less what I'd been buying.

I even bought some Birdseye frozen thinking it was just the crop I'd gotten but the Birdseye was even sweeter.

I may have to grow my own next year. I've got the room if I can just keep the deer and the coons out of it.
Old 11-03-2008, 01:18 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 825 Likes on 489 Posts

Originally Posted by Wildncrazy,Nov 3 2008, 05:07 PM
I used to like plain ol' field corn too. I actually thought that was more or less what I'd been buying.

I even bought some Birdseye frozen thinking it was just the crop I'd gotten but the Birdseye was even sweeter.

I may have to grow my own next year. I've got the room if I can just keep the deer and the coons out of it.
I'd LOVE to be able to have a nice little vegetable garden, but the deer are so prolific here I have to scoop their poop out of my yard to be able to walk without . . . you know what on my shoes. Yesterday morning I went out on the side porch to have my coffee and noticed 3 raccoons toddling down the driveway to the woods behind my house. They stopped to sniff the coffee and then went on their merry way. That's life in the middle of a city.

Quick Reply: Sweet corn gotten too sweet?