S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Survivor - guilty of tax evasion

Old 01-25-2006, 12:43 PM

Received 2,969 Likes on 1,714 Posts
Default Survivor - guilty of tax evasion

So Richard Hatch, the naked guy from "Survivor" is guilty of tax evasion.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060125/ap_on_.../survivor_taxes

He's facing a pretty stiff sentence. I remember as a kid, watching "Let's Make a Deal" or other game shows. Even then, I remember hearing that the winners had to pay taxes on the prizes.

I guess he must have thought he could form an alliance with the IRS????

Is his possible sentence the "Norm", or are they making an example out of him?
Old 01-25-2006, 01:11 PM

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

I dont think they are making an example. I think anyone who wins one million dollars on a very popular tv show viewed by millions should expect to be procecuted for tax evasion. He knew going in that he owed the taxes. I am glad to see them proceed. If I have to pay taxes on what little I have, by God a millionaire should also.
He will probably cut a deal and pay the penalty without doing any hard time.
Old 01-25-2006, 03:03 PM

Received 2,969 Likes on 1,714 Posts

Originally Posted by batguano,Jan 25 2006, 05:11 PM
I dont think they are making an example. I think anyone who wins one million dollars on a very popular tv show viewed by millions should expect to be procecuted for tax evasion. He knew going in that he owed the taxes. I am glad to see them proceed. If I have to pay taxes on what little I have, by God a millionaire should also.
He will probably cut a deal and pay the penalty without doing any hard time.
I think they actually had a deal a while ago. One which involved less prison time, but Mr. Hatch decided to roll the dice instead. Looks like he lost that bet!
Old 01-25-2006, 03:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Another good example of why it is safe, from a tax perspective, to play the California Lottery

No win, no taxes. A safe bet all around.
Old 01-25-2006, 07:02 PM

Received 1,104 Likes on 700 Posts

bb- remember that the California lottery is exempt from California taxes, but not FEDERAL! (just in case you win).
Hatch is a liar and a cheat. He claimed that CBS was going to pay the taxes for him. But, as any good accountant knows, he should have reported the winnings, and then taken credit for the tax payment made for him by CBS. But then there was no tax payment, and no reporting of the winnings.
His tax preparer testified that she prepared a return for him reporting the winnings. (with 237,000 tax due plus or minus) Then he asked her how much his taxes would have been if he had not won, so she prepared a return without the winnings, but had him sign a statement that the return was just for his information and was not to be filed. So guess what- that's the return he filed.
The IRS loves to get a high profile case in the news at the start of tax season, to help people "remember" to be honest, since we have a voluntary tax system. This one was perfect for them, and certainly deserving of some jail time from Mr. Hatch.
Old 01-26-2006, 02:00 AM

Received 1,439 Likes on 1,124 Posts

Originally Posted by Morris,Jan 25 2006, 11:02 PM
bb- remember that the California lottery is exempt from California taxes, but not FEDERAL! (just in case you win).
Hatch is a liar and a cheat. He claimed that CBS was going to pay the taxes for him. But, as any good accountant knows, he should have reported the winnings, and then taken credit for the tax payment made for him by CBS. But then there was no tax payment, and no reporting of the winnings.
His tax preparer testified that she prepared a return for him reporting the winnings. (with 237,000 tax due plus or minus) Then he asked her how much his taxes would have been if he had not won, so she prepared a return without the winnings, but had him sign a statement that the return was just for his information and was not to be filed. So guess what- that's the return he filed.
The IRS loves to get a high profile case in the news at the start of tax season, to help people "remember" to be honest, since we have a voluntary tax system. This one was perfect for them, and certainly deserving of some jail time from Mr. Hatch.
Clearly the man is a tax cheat. Aside from failing to pay taxes on his Survivor winnings, he failed to report or pay income taxes on other earnings and real estate income.

I wonder what made him think he could get away with it.
Old 01-26-2006, 06:42 AM

Could be he's an egomaniacal idiot.
Old 01-26-2006, 06:57 AM

You'd be surprised at the number of folks who don't know about prizes being taxable until after they win. My mother-in-law bought a raffle ticket just to help out a cause and was very surprised when she won a car. Since she doesn't drive, she sold it back but not before that extra income threw her into another tax bracket and made her ineligible for her SS, pharmacy and other benefits she was receiving. She paid the taxes after it was explained to her but vowed to never buy another raffle ticket again NOW that she knows the real consequences.

As for this guy, no excuse.
Old 01-26-2006, 07:43 AM

I conclude he is going to exceed his 15 minutes of fame and rightfully so. I'll bet he keeps his clothes on while in jail!
Old 01-26-2006, 02:32 PM

He was offered a deal and refused. So he was probably treated like most, but he played the "DON'T YOU KNOW WHO I AM" card and lost. People who aren't famous don't like that card.

I guess Richard Hatch is going to find out how prisoners use his "dick hatch".

Quick Reply: Survivor - guilty of tax evasion