S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Supreme Court rules on Second Amendment

Old 06-28-2008, 07:20 PM
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Received 352 Likes on 321 Posts

Partial to a CDP II
Old 06-28-2008, 08:58 PM

Received 1,103 Likes on 699 Posts

I heard Senator Diane Feinstein, who did not like the court opinion, say that the opinion made it illegal to have a trigger lock on a hand gun.
Either a) I heard wrong, b)she's exaggerating. Can somebody tell me she's wrong? The ruling must have said it is illegal to 'require' trigger locks on guns, not illegal to use them. Or something else.
Old 06-28-2008, 10:12 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Warren J. Dew,Jun 28 2008, 03:10 PM
Neither is a punch, yet no one has a problem with the possibility that one could engage in a fistfight in "self defense".
You can block with your fists/arms.

The point here is that a firearm is a purely offensive weapon. A kevlar jacket is defensive. A gun is offensive.

Yes, sometimes there are situations in which fighting back is your best answer, but don't confuse a gun and fire extinguisher.
Old 06-29-2008, 04:24 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Slows2k,Jun 28 2008, 11:20 PM

Partial to a CDP II
Very nice. It looks like it is about the same size as my S&W 3913 9MM.
Old 06-29-2008, 04:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Warren J. Dew,Jun 28 2008, 06:10 PM
...You or I might live in sufficiently safe neighborhoods that we'd be very unlikely to have occasion to defend ourselves with a gun...
But how can one ever be sure their neighborhood is "sufficiently safe". The neighbors may be harmless enough but not the interloper with bad intentions. I'd rather be safe than sorry.
Old 06-29-2008, 08:08 AM

Received 5,800 Likes on 3,419 Posts

As a comic once said (or something to this effect), I don't think we need gun control . . . I just wish bullets cost $5,000 each!
Old 06-29-2008, 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by Morris,Jun 28 2008, 08:58 PM
I heard Senator Diane Feinstein, who did not like the court opinion, say that the opinion made it illegal to have a trigger lock on a hand gun.
Either a) I heard wrong, b)she's exaggerating. Can somebody tell me she's wrong? The ruling must have said it is illegal to 'require' trigger locks on guns, not illegal to use them. Or something else.
Either you heard wrong, or she's exaggerating. The ruling is only that it's unconstitutional to require trigger locks at all times. The ruling implied that it would be okay to require trigger locks sometimes, under some unspecified circumstances, and it's certainly okay voluntarily to use a trigger lock whenever you want.

I guess it's also possible that Feinstein was simply completely mistaken about what the opinion said, but I think she's too smart to be that badly mistaken.
Old 06-29-2008, 08:32 AM

Mike, you went to MIT, right? I seem to remember fire extinguishers being used as offensive weapons there all the time in dormitory water fights!
Old 06-29-2008, 08:42 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Warren J. Dew,Jun 29 2008, 09:32 AM
Mike, you went to MIT, right? I seem to remember fire extinguishers being used as offensive weapons there all the time in dormitory water fights!
I did think of that, actually. I think that was mostly an East Campus thing, though.

Ever read Heinlein's Tunnel In The Sky? Heinlein was certainly not against firearm ownership, but he had some interesting things to say in there about guns perhaps getting you into more trouble than they are worth -- specifically because they make you feel more invulnerable even though they convey absolutely no defensive advantage. When you have a gun, you have to start thinking more offensively. They are like first-strike nuclear weapons -- of some use as a deterrant, but only if you are ready and willing to shoot the other guy before he shoots you.
Old 06-29-2008, 09:02 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

I own a gun. In fact, I own more than one. Having these instruments of death do not put me into a mindset that I am invulnerable. i enjoy shooting targets. I am not nor have I ever been a hunter.

I have a concealed carry license. my reason for getting the license was not so that I can walk around like some cowboy but so that I can legally take my piece with me in my car and on trips that require a stay in a motel.

I never knowingly place myself or any family member in a location where there is even a remote possibility that there will be trouble. i am not looking fro a reason to use my weapon.

Over the years, there has been an increase in home invasions. This is more than a simple break in to steal things. These predators break in knowing someone is at home. Once inside, their logic is to eliminate any witnesses.

Well, if I have any way to hold them until the law arrives, OK but in the interim,if it gets nasty, I won't hesitate to eliminate the threat.

911 is a wonderful thing but by the time help arrives, the event is over.

That's my take on the situation.

Quick Reply: Supreme Court rules on Second Amendment