S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Supreme Court rules on Second Amendment

Old 06-27-2008, 09:44 AM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts
Default Supreme Court rules on Second Amendment

The ruling is in. DC's gun control regulations infringe the second ammendment. More litigation will follow.

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-na-sc...0,4515047.story

It's not political because it is news.
Old 06-27-2008, 10:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Legal Bill,Jun 27 2008, 09:44 AM
It's not political because it is news.
Good luck on that one!
Old 06-27-2008, 10:45 AM

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

Thank God for justice Kennedy getting this one right!
Old 06-27-2008, 12:37 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

It's about time. I am very glad this issue has finally been decided.

I just hope the plastic bags I buried my guns in didn't leak

Too hot to dig them up today. One more day can't make much difference.
Old 06-27-2008, 12:55 PM

As Charlton Heston said, out of my "cold dead hands." I saw a lawyer on FOX one evening, that said that he believes any business that places a "no firearms" sticker in their store window can be sued if harm comes to someone being beaten or injured in their establishment. They are taking full responsibility for that individuals safety. The lawyer was on with a women, who several years ago left her gun in her car, while she took her father and mother to dinner in a restaurant with a "no firearms" sticker. Both her parents were killed by a person who was robbing the restaurant.
Old 06-27-2008, 01:57 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

[QUOTE=Jet sitter,Jun 27 2008, 04:55 PM] As Charlton Heston said, out of my "cold dead hands."
Old 06-27-2008, 02:04 PM

Your correct, see article below.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luby's_massacre
Old 06-27-2008, 02:19 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

[QUOTE=Legal Bill,Jun 27 2008, 10:44 AM] It's not political because it is news.
Old 06-27-2008, 03:05 PM

Received 474 Likes on 337 Posts

Originally Posted by Jet sitter,Jun 27 2008, 01:45 PM

1 out of 2 so far.
Old 06-27-2008, 03:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jet sitter,Jun 27 2008, 10:45 AM
I wasn't thrilled with his influence on the opinion, actually.

While I'm happy with letting people have weapons for self defense, I view the purpose of the second amendment as ensuring that the people have the means to resist the government if that should become necessary. In fact, I think this is obvious: when the amendment was passed, we'd just been through a revolution that we wouldn't have won had the British government been able to disarm the colonists. The earlier English historical precedents cited in Scalia's opinion were also clearly driven by the desire to give the people the means to resist oppressive governments - some of which had in fact disarmed segments of the population. I think that's why the prefaratory clause mentions "the militia" - as long as there's a militia consisting of all able bodied citizens armed for war, the government will have problems imposing unpopular rule by force.

The previous second amendment decision, in 1939, recognized this. While Stevens mischaracterizes that earlier opinion as construing the militia clause to negate any individual right to bear arms, a correct reading shows that earlier opinion did turn on the militia clause in a different way: it construed the clause as limiting the amendment to weapons suitable to a militia, while appearing to take for granted that the right was an individual right. Militia weapons would, of course, be the same types of weapons suitable to resisting the government if necessary.

During oral arguments, Scalia seemed inclined to interpret the second amendment in the same way that it was interpreted in 1939, as protecting an individual right to keep and bear such weapons as would be appropriate to a militia. Kennedy, on the other hand, didn't seem very receptive to that interpretation; rather, he seemed to prefer an interpretation that read the second amendment as being related to hunting and self defense, an interpretation I don't think there's a lot of historical evidence for. However, to get Kennedy's vote for a clear five judge majority, Scalia ended up concentrating on Kennedy's self defense theory, rather than on a more historically justified theory based on ability to resist the government.

The actual ruling would have been the same in both cases; general purpose hand guns are appropriate for both self defense and for militia use. However, I'm concerned the way the ruling was written may result in drawing the lines in the wrong places for some types of weapons; it may protect plastic pistols suitable for smuggling onto airplanes but not rifles, for example, while I'd draw the line the opposite way.

Quick Reply: Supreme Court rules on Second Amendment