S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

sun tan lotion

Old 06-07-2024, 03:54 PM

Received 3,784 Likes on 2,667 Posts

Originally Posted by cosmomiller
You are forgetting the health benefits of a good diet of non processed foods as well as moderation outdoors. You build your exposure as the seasons change. Normal sleep patterns and no goofy chemicals. Good clean living.
Very good point Jim. I know you are very familiar with the lifestyle in that part of the world, they were living an agrarian lifestyle, back in the 1930's -1940's time frame . It was all manual labour farm work, they walked everywhere with no cars being driven or owned. They harvested their own olives and took them to the olive oil processors in exchange for free olive oil. They grew their own food, vegetables, wheat, and raised animals. That was the true mediterranean diet . If WW2 didn't come along and bomb the hell out of their region they never would have emigrated to Canada.

Last edited by zeroptzero; 06-08-2024 at 02:57 AM.
The following users liked this post:
dlq04 (06-07-2024)
Old 06-07-2024, 07:54 PM

Received 1,737 Likes on 1,036 Posts

It may seem odd in our present state of the world but I just have this sense people are going to go back to the basics in the future. Our progeny may be in for a real shake up in the world as we know it. Maybe we will see the beginning. Who knows?
Old 06-07-2024, 08:48 PM

Received 5,782 Likes on 3,405 Posts

If I could see (be) in the future . .. . dam it I live in the here and now ....
Old 06-08-2024, 02:59 AM

Originally Posted by dlq04
If I could see (be) in the future . .. . dam it I live in the here and now ....
I just heard Gene Simmons (KISS fame) say the exact same thing while listening to satellite radio yesterday, lol.
Old 06-08-2024, 09:05 AM
tof
Member (Premium)

Received 2,094 Likes on 1,409 Posts

I apply sun block on all my exposed skin. But not my neck. Letting it fet nice and red helps me fit in down here.

The following 5 users liked this post by tof:
jukngene (06-08-2024), Kyras (06-08-2024), sam_spider (06-11-2024), valentine (06-11-2024), zeroptzero (06-08-2024)
Old 06-08-2024, 12:56 PM

^ I've had farmer's tans most of my life.
Old 06-10-2024, 12:33 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 3,989 Likes on 2,661 Posts

Originally Posted by zeroptzero
Very good point Jim. I know you are very familiar with the lifestyle in that part of the world, they were living an agrarian lifestyle, back in the 1930's -1940's time frame . It was all manual labour farm work, they walked everywhere with no cars being driven or owned. They harvested their own olives and took them to the olive oil processors in exchange for free olive oil. They grew their own food, vegetables, wheat, and raised animals. That was the true mediterranean diet . If WW2 didn't come along and bomb the hell out of their region they never would have emigrated to Canada.
There is another way to look at it Joey.
put a population in one place with geographical limitations and give them a constrained diet, i.e. what's available.
after the first couple generations, the ones that are genetically suited, thrive, live long and prosper, the rest die off.
Old 06-10-2024, 01:25 PM

Received 1,453 Likes on 1,090 Posts

Originally Posted by zeroptzero
My mom should be studied by the scientific community. She has been a sun worshipper her entire life, when not suntanning outside she was working outdoors. In her teens she was working on farms in southern Italy where there was no such thing as sunscreen. In her Southern Italy town, everyone moved to the beach for two months during the hot summer months.

She never used sunscreen at any time in her adult life , she only used cheap sun tanning oil to make her more brown, the thought of screening the sun's rays was not her preference. We used to joke that she was using olive oil or motor oil whenever she was at the beach. She is now 88 years old and she has never had skin cancer, and not even had a mole removed. She is a freak of nature. No one in our family can understand it, and none of us ever condoned it but she did what she wanted.
Not an anomaly. You just described most of my family. Not saying sunscreen is not a good idea or anything but yeah.
zeroptzero (06-10-2024)
Old 06-10-2024, 01:27 PM

Received 1,453 Likes on 1,090 Posts

Originally Posted by cosmomiller
Even with a pretty good tan, the place that nails me is high attitude Sierras >8000'. My nose and cheeks get hit from sunglasses reflection and the top of my thighs below my shorts. I have become religious applying block to those areas and my ears with the back of my neck to boot. Lots of sun for a week at high intensity. My lab does not need anything! You can still get the sun underwater. Buddy of mine hauled his guitar and inflatable paddle board all the way up from Echo Lake to Lake Aloha. Don't know how he did it. Strong as an ox and also likes to go without sunscreen as much as possible.
Heading back up the end of July if the snowpack will allow.

Snowboarding at higher altitudes has certainly gotten me too. 8000 ft plus and it can sneak up on you FAST lol. Granted, more clothes on but I have seen and experienced some pretty hilarious looking sunburns around hilariously white goggle lines
Kyras (06-10-2024)
Old 06-10-2024, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by boltonblue
There is another way to look at it Joey.
put a population in one place with geographical limitations and give them a constrained diet, i.e. what's available.
after the first couple generations, the ones that are genetically suited, thrive, live long and prosper, the rest die off.
That makes sense Jerry, there were still plenty of our relatives who died early of heart attacks from that small town. The oilive oil and meditteranean diet didn't solve all of their issues.

Quick Reply: sun tan lotion