S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Stonehenge mystery solved?

Old 12-31-2008, 03:27 PM

Received 511 Likes on 304 Posts
Default Stonehenge mystery solved?

For hundreds, maybe thousands of years, people have been trying to figure out how primitive people could build huge structures such as Stonehenge and the pyramids out of stone blocks weighing thousands of pounds. Scientists have been stumped.

Then along comes a normal guy - a retired construction worker - and he says well, I would do it like this. And he does. This guy uses the simplest tools known to man and shows how simple and easy it would have been to create Stonehenge

This is a really great video clip. Amazing how this guy could figure out something that has confounded scholars for centuries. And not only figures it out, but demonstrates it!

This guy could build a replica of Stonehenge single-handedly, while a committee of 20 or 30 Civil Engineering professors from leading universities would be debating how it might be done.

Stonehenge Reloaded'. You have got to see this....

http://j-walkblog.com/index.php?/weblog/po...oving_big_rocks

I personally love stories like this when people with "native" intelligence succeed. That is one of the reasons that I loved the movie about Erin Brockovich.

Has Wally Wallington figured it out?

Your thoughts? ..................
Old 12-31-2008, 03:35 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Reserved
Old 12-31-2008, 03:53 PM
tof
Member (Premium)

Received 2,094 Likes on 1,409 Posts

Nothing is more rare than common sense.

personally love stories like this when people with "native" intelligence succeed. That is one of the reasons that I loved the movie about Erin Brockovich.
Oh, I can think of a couple more reasons, Matt.
Old 12-31-2008, 03:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quite amazing. Thanks for the link.
Old 12-31-2008, 04:06 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt_in_VA' date='Dec 31 2008, 04:27 PM
For hundreds, maybe thousands of years, people have been trying to figure out how primitive people could build huge structures such as Stonehenge and the pyramids out of stone blocks weighing thousands of pounds. Scientists have been stumped.
Not to sound too elitist, but "scientists" are not "stumped" by how Stonehenge could be raised. There are many ways it could have been done. People just love to think that "scientists" are mystified by things that anybody with a little practical experience can figure out, because it makes them feel more secure.

However, because there are many ways it could have been done, it is somewhat interesting to figure out exactly how it was done. Not a way it COULD have been done, but how it actually WAS done. An even more interesting question is WHY Stonehenge was raised.

The why question is especially significant because the blocks were actually quarried a long ways away, and so it was a lot of work getting them there. Why was that work considered to be so important? That's the real mystery.
Old 12-31-2008, 04:24 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 3,949 Likes on 2,647 Posts

never underestimate a patient clever guy who really, really wants to get something done.
Old 12-31-2008, 06:19 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

That was neat. Although I sure could use that concrete for my back patio instead of a pillar.
Old 12-31-2008, 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by mikegarrison' date='Dec 31 2008, 09:06 PM
Not a way it COULD have been done, but how it actually WAS done. An even more interesting question is WHY Stonehenge was raised.

The why question is especially significant because the blocks were actually quarried a long ways away, and so it was a lot of work getting them there. Why was that work considered to be so important? That's the real mystery.
That is not lost on me. that why is the real question.
Old 12-31-2008, 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by tof' date='Dec 31 2008, 08:53 PM
Nothing is more rare than common sense.

in more ways than you know. I recently had the (dis)pleasure of training a new co-worker in the technology that the company that I work for sells. My manager constantly mentioned that he had a Master's Degree. It became very obvious to me that it was not in "common sense".
Old 01-01-2009, 05:44 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

^^ Degrees are overrated!

Quick Reply: Stonehenge mystery solved?