S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Standard TIme

Old 11-16-2013, 07:33 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 1,491 Likes on 1,159 Posts
Default Standard TIme

I hate standard time. I really do. It gets dark far too early. I get up in the dark and I come home in the dark. By 4:30 pm it feels like the day is over. I wish we could keep Daylight Saving Time all year.

Daylight Saving Time was first thought up by a New Zealander near the end of the 1800s. Like happens with so many good ideas, nobody much paid attention to the concept, and for the most part, it was ignored. A few countries tried it, but it really didn’t get widespread usage until World War I. During the first World War Germany adopted it in an effort to save coal. Not too long after Germany started using it, all of the other countries involved started using it too. After World War I it was largely abandoned until World War Ii when both the Allies and Axis powers used it. After World War II some nations stuck with using it during the summer months, but the United States didn’t. Around 1965 the United States finally accepted Daylight Saving Time on a state by state basis.

Most people like it. Most people feel that it gives them some time after work to still enjoy part of the day. Some used to claim that it leads to energy savings as well, but that’s never been conclusively proven. The people who don’t like it are these whose business’ are based on evening entertainment such as movie theatres and fireworks displays. Farmers are split. Some like standard time so that they can start their day earlier but some like Daylight Saving Time because it means the sun stays up later. And then there’s the argument about school children. With Daylight Savings Time in the winter, they have to wait for the morning bus in the dark. But, now they come home in the dark. I think it would be better to give them some play time in the afternoon.

I like Daylight Savings Time. I like coming home in the light. Nothing is more depressing than to still be at work, look out the window and see that it’s dark already. Somehow, sunlight gives us energy, and make us happier. Darkness makes us sleepy, and depressed.

I really don’t like standard time. If it was up to me, I’d keep Daylight Saving Time all year round. How about you, do you agree? Should we keep Daylight Saving Time all year round?
Old 11-17-2013, 12:54 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 809 Likes on 484 Posts

Totally, totally agree. I haven't slept well since the time change. I fall asleep wayyyy to early, my digestive system has not adjusted and I get hungry too early. I wake up too early and feel like a zombie. I wish it would just stay one way or the other so I wouldn't have to readjust my internal clock. GRRRRRRRRRRR. Yes, DST all year would be just great.