S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Are sports cars going to die?

Old 03-04-2013, 05:27 AM

Received 5,739 Likes on 3,382 Posts
Default Are sports cars going to die?

Very interesting and in depth article about the decline of interest and the future of sports cars, including the 2014 NSX.

http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dl...#axzz2Ma3nXPIH
Old 03-04-2013, 05:30 AM

Received 330 Likes on 279 Posts

Reminds me of the mid 70's....all gloom and doom, yet the sports car is still around.
Levi
Old 03-04-2013, 05:38 AM

Received 5,739 Likes on 3,382 Posts

Originally Posted by NNY S2k
Reminds me of the mid 70's....all gloom and doom, yet the sports car is still around.
Levi
I hope you are right but the lack of interest in my own kids and grandkids (except for one) tells me different.
Old 03-04-2013, 06:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm 17, driving an S2000. I had a Miata before this. Don't worry, a lot of us still love sports car and wouldn't drive anything else.
Old 03-04-2013, 07:10 AM

I went to a cars and coffee thing this last Saturday. There were probably seven or more S2Ks in attendance. All but two of them were owned by and driven by people in the mid 20 to early 30 age group. I found this very encouraging. Also, all but 2 were top down, the two had hard tops.

Jon
Old 03-04-2013, 09:09 AM

Received 808 Likes on 483 Posts

Originally Posted by dlq04
Originally Posted by NNY S2k' timestamp='1362407459' post='22378420
Levi
I hope you are right but the lack of interest in my own kids and grandkids (except for one) tells me different.
same here, Dave.
Old 03-04-2013, 09:17 AM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

Interesting question. so many factors impact sports car sales, it is hard to understand any buying trend. Without having any real data, just going on the news reports I have heard for thepast 5 or 6 years, I think the economy has alot to do witht eh demographics of sports car buyers. I keep hearing how hard it is for young people to find a job in thier chosen field. Instead they take lower paying jobs that they are "over-qualified" for or simply live at home and do not work. That all means less (or no) disposable income and a lot less money to spend on a car.

Could it be that young people are simply not interested in sports cars? I guess it is possible. I do know young people care a lot about thier electronic gadgets. Maybe social networking takes the place of things like sports cars? I'm not sure how, but I guess it is possible.
Old 03-04-2013, 11:32 AM

Keep on driving you sports car. I remember in the 80's people would ask me about my Triumph TR-6, wanting to know if they could get something like it or anyother sports car, it is the same now. There is a certain group of us that will always want something more that a SUV or sedan. As for the new NSXand has a good track record, it is just priced to high for the average person. Long live the sports car.

Old 03-04-2013, 03:46 PM

Received 207 Likes on 108 Posts

I'm pretty sure sports cars are alive and well amongst the younger crowd. One trip outside of the Vintage forum is evidence of that. Also, the EOM Drive I organize... well, I'm in my 40s and most of the drivers who come out are younger than me by a significant amount. I feel downright next to some of them.

Current economy certainly makes it more difficult for the younger crowd to get into something beyond basic level transportation, but they are just as likely as we were when we were younger to sacrifice other niceties in their life to have the kind of car they want, or to add go-fast upgrades to the cars they have. S2000s have come down in price and are more in reach of the younger crowd so they are being snapped up by them finally. And those who are able to buy new are getting into the hot-hatch world (Civic, GTI/Golf R, WRX, etc) as well as the FR-S and BR-Z cars.
Old 03-04-2013, 03:58 PM

Received 207 Likes on 108 Posts

Wait a minute...

The article says: "The challenge for Chevrolet and Chrysler and all the other sports car manufacturers," Schuster says, "is to lower the age of that buyer while they still can."

Does Chrysler build a sports car? I had to go to their web site and look. I guess the 200 Convertible S is a sports car. Depends on your definition, I suppose. Don't know what its specs are, but it looks zoomy enough.

Quick Reply: Are sports cars going to die?