S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Sometimes I get so sick of the media

Old 11-10-2011, 04:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DrCloud
Somewhere else on S2KI? Where? Link? HPH
This page - under the avatar - dubious at best. Screen name asshat or something close to that.
Old 11-10-2011, 04:32 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The media has played a big part. A week ago, they all shouted the virtues of Joe Pa when he became the winningest coach. Then, without knowing all the facts they crucified him. Now, some are writing we need to let the law do its job and not race to judgement.

Joe Pa did NOT commit a crime and no charges have been filed, yet PSU terminated his contract.

I am not saying he did no wrong, but where was due process. None, thanks to media pressure to the Board to "do what is best for PSU"

It would be great to know how many of the Board members voted to give Sandusky the golden parachute to leave in 99 after the police investigated him in 98. These same Board members did less to stop this behavior then Paterno did, yet they ,made him pay the penalty.
Old 11-10-2011, 04:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If any of the board members had knowledge of this they should be next on the funeral pyre.

Old 11-10-2011, 05:28 PM
A 2
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Received 167 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by raymo19
No - for those who destroyed private property and rioted over the firing of a football coach pepper spray, police batons, and arrest would be the appropriate response.

If you don't want a "war of words" why the Louisville Slugger reference? I have to assume it was directed at me as I'm the only one to mention it in this thread.
It was directed at you but not in an attacking way. I'm sorry you took it that way and for the way it came across

Maybe you could now convince the site's "Editor in chief". He seems to be stuck in support mode for reasons I can't even contemplate.
My opinion is just that, my opinion. For that matter I also think the media was not out of its bounds (and said as much in earlier posts) in asking Paterno to quit. The title is not something I asked for. It was something forced upon me. I'm just a member no different than the rest.

Originally Posted by DrCloud' timestamp='1320971250' post='21146907
Somewhere else on S2KI? Where? Link? HPH
This page - under the avatar - dubious at best. Screen name asshat or something close to that.
Thank you. I know I don't hold a popular view and will humbly accept any term of 'endearment' you or the other vintage members wish to apply to me. I have been called worse and it has ceased to bother me
Old 11-10-2011, 06:22 PM

Received 3,193 Likes on 1,847 Posts

Originally Posted by SheDrivesIt
Originally Posted by Lainey' timestamp='1320946061' post='21145622

Football, it's only a game, but apparently it's more important than other things for some.
That is, unfortunately, grossly inaccurate. Football is far from only a game. It is a business. It is a very large and very lucrative business. It is the entertainment business.
OK, so it's a business, a lucrative business that some folks apparently thought was more important than a child being raped/abused.
Old 11-10-2011, 06:31 PM

Received 5,758 Likes on 3,393 Posts

Originally Posted by Laker
The media has played a big part. A week ago, they all shouted the virtues of Joe Pa when he became the winningest coach. Then, without knowing all the facts they crucified him. Now, some are writing we need to let the law do its job and not race to judgement.

Joe Pa did NOT commit a crime and no charges have been filed, yet PSU terminated his contract.

I am not saying he did no wrong, but where was due process. None, thanks to media pressure to the Board to "do what is best for PSU"
Thanks for coming out on my limb! I totally agree.
Old 11-10-2011, 06:43 PM

Received 3,193 Likes on 1,847 Posts

Originally Posted by Laker

It would be great to know how many of the Board members voted to give Sandusky the golden parachute to leave in 99 after the police investigated him in 98. These same Board members did less to stop this behavior then Paterno did, yet they ,made him pay the penalty.
Jo Pa was supposed to be all that was good and wholesome and loaded with integrity and all the BS that made him so great. You tell me how someone so good and with such integrity didn't bother to follow through after he reported the incident to the administrators. Was he not curious when no police officers came to question him after he reported the incident to the administrators?? He had to know the incident was being swept under the rug. I can't accept the "he didn't break the law or commit a crime" mantra. What happened to moral obligation??
Old 11-10-2011, 07:14 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Lainey
Originally Posted by Laker' timestamp='1320975165' post='21147040

Jo Pa was supposed to be all that was good and wholesome and loaded with integrity and all the BS that made him so great. You tell me how someone so good and with such integrity didn't bother to follow through after he reported the incident to the administrators. Was he not curious when no police officers came to question him after he reported the incident to the administrators?? He had to know the incident was being swept under the rug. I can't accept the "he didn't break the law or commit a crime" mantra. What happened to moral obligation??
1. We don't know everything and what all he was told by the coach who reported what he saw in the shower with Sandusky and the youth.

2. He reported it, no police came to him to follow up. Did that mean his superiors did not report it to the Police? Or we're others covering it up?

3. I don't disagree he failed on his moral obligation. Just like the Pope, hundreds of Bishops and Priests for their work I. Ruining the lives of hundreds of young men. BUT, the Church was able to throw money at that behavior and solve the problem.

4. Again, why does the Board of Trustees not accept their role of responsibility for this problem instead of doing " what is best for PSU". Had they done the "best for PSU" in 1998, Sandusky would have been gone

5. Don't you just love how the Board has "asked" the assistant coach to not be on the sidelines this Sat?

6. Just learned Paterno just lawyered up for a possible criminal defense. We probably will never know the whole true story, but I am sure the media will try and tell us all.
Old 11-10-2011, 07:16 PM

Received 5,758 Likes on 3,393 Posts

Was he not curious when no police officers came to question him after he reported the incident to the administrators??
OK, for the sake of discussion, lets say that went through his mind. And then, maybe, just maybe, he thought.... why would they ask me - they would go directly to the person who reported it. As I understand it, there was no secret about who saw it.

Should he have been curious about the outcome? Yes. Is it possible the people actually arrested after a three year investigation may have lied to him at that point?
Old 11-10-2011, 07:20 PM
A 2
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Received 167 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by Laker' timestamp='1320975165' post='21147040

he erred is what I think. which is why I said people are fallible. It could have been football or something else ($$) that caused him to err. Only he knows what it is. The rest is speculation and vilification, which is ok considering he is not saying anything to silence his critics.

As far as the support for him goes. I think there is a recognition among those that know him or are associated with Penn State that he is a symbol of everything that college stands for and the board it appears has done no favors by dismissing him without announcing the rationale for it. They see it as an affront to them just as it maybe for him. Just as people are upset about the abuse the group in state college also appear to be upset seeing how he is being made the fall guy for this issue.

Quick Reply: Sometimes I get so sick of the media