S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Sometimes I get so sick of the media

Old 11-10-2011, 02:51 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 2,954 Likes on 1,748 Posts

Originally Posted by aashish2
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/10/sp...-state.html?hp

STATE COLLEGE, Pa. — Graham B. Spanier, one of the longest-serving and highest-paid university presidents in the nation, who has helped raise the academic profile of Penn State during his tenure, stepped down Wednesday night in the wake of a sexual-abuse scandal involving a prominent former assistant football coach and the university’s failure to act to halt further harm.

Spanier’s departure came as the university’s Board of Trustees also ended the 84-year-old Joe Paterno’s career, denying him his wish to finish out the season, his 46th as the head football coach and his 62nd over all at the school.
Exactly what should have happened.

"The U.S. Department of Education said it has launched an investigation into whether Penn State failed to report incidents of sexual abuse on campus, as required by federal law." So this takes precedence over any university protocol. I'm guessing Sandusky will commit suicide if given the opportunity. No way he's going to testify to anything. Sleazy coward.
Old 11-10-2011, 03:40 AM

Received 3,193 Likes on 1,847 Posts

Sounds like "heads are rolling" Good.
Old 11-10-2011, 04:04 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 809 Likes on 484 Posts

Originally Posted by MsPerky
Originally Posted by aashish2' timestamp='1320896384' post='21144082
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/10/sp...-state.html?hp

STATE COLLEGE, Pa. — Graham B. Spanier, one of the longest-serving and highest-paid university presidents in the nation, who has helped raise the academic profile of Penn State during his tenure, stepped down Wednesday night in the wake of a sexual-abuse scandal involving a prominent former assistant football coach and the university’s failure to act to halt further harm.

Spanier’s departure came as the university’s Board of Trustees also ended the 84-year-old Joe Paterno’s career, denying him his wish to finish out the season, his 46th as the head football coach and his 62nd over all at the school.
Exactly what should have happened.

"The U.S. Department of Education said it has launched an investigation into whether Penn State failed to report incidents of sexual abuse on campus, as required by federal law." So this takes precedence over any university protocol. I'm guessing Sandusky will commit suicide if given the opportunity. No way he's going to testify to anything. Sleazy coward.
From previous experience, I'd say they felt themselves above Federal law.
Old 11-10-2011, 06:26 AM
A 2
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Received 167 Likes on 152 Posts

Slideshow of crowds reaction to Paterno stepping down.

http://www.nytimes.com/slideshow/201...ERNO_HTML.html

Quote from related article below. Appears his influence is still strong. Maybe a Louisville Slugger will make them change their mind

Scores of students poured into the streets downtown in the immediate aftermath of the news conference. Many held up cellphones to take pictures and others blew vuvuzelas and air horns. A few climbed lampposts, tried to topple street signs and knocked over trash cans. Others set off firecrackers from the roofs of buildings, and a television news truck was flipped on its side. A lamppost was torn down and police pepper-sprayed some in the crowd.

“I just don’t think it’s right that JoePa’s losing his job,” Corey Davis, a 23-year-old senior studying international politics, said. “All the facts aren’t out, we don’t even know he’s done anything wrong. Joe’s the fall guy.”

Kathryn Simpson, 20, a junior studying graphic design, was weeping as she walked away from the university’s administration building, Old Main, with a friend.

“This is devastating for us,” she said. “I never in a million years thought I’d see this.”

A number of students went to the coach’s house, where Mr. Paterno and his wife, Sue, spoke with them.

Dressed in a baggy gray pullover sweater, Mr. Paterno waved his hand and started to walk back inside. A student yelled, “We are Penn State,” the frequent rallying cry. Mr. Paterno stopped and turned around to say: “That’s right. We are Penn State, don’t ever forget it.”

Many students have shown their support for Mr. Paterno with large rallies outside his home and at Old Main. After he was fired, thousands of people gathered in front of the administration building, throwing objects and chanting “We want Joe!”
Old 11-10-2011, 07:08 AM

Received 5,758 Likes on 3,393 Posts

Sent a note to my cousin who attended PSU where he met his wife of near 50 years. Got this back:

WE ARE.....Grieving with the families and the victims.
We are… Broken hearted.
We are… Trying to make sense of things.
We are… Confused.
We are… Over 94,000 students strong
We are… Ranked among the top 15 public universities.
We are… The largest student-run philanthropy in the world
We are… Over 8,500 top ranked faculty.
We are… Hard working student athletes in many sporting events with NO connection to former events.
We are… More than 2 university officials and 2 athletic department members.
We are… More than this scandal.
We are... Penn State,and we have always been more than just a football team.
WE ARE..... GOING TO SUPPORT JOE FOR ALL THE GREAT THINGS HE HAS DONE FOR ALL OF US
WE ARE...........PENN STATE PROUD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-10-2011, 07:50 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 2,954 Likes on 1,748 Posts

Hmmmm...I think this reaction pretty well sums it up for me - from Tracee Hamilton (sports columnist) in today's WaPo:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports...g8M_story.html
Old 11-10-2011, 08:27 AM

Interesting read, and does sum things up for me as well.

I read another article this AM as to how the team members were rallying around Paterno, to the point of rioting. Are they not giving those victims a second thought? What if it had been their family member?

Football, it's only a game, but apparently it's more important than other things for some.
Old 11-10-2011, 08:29 AM
A 2
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Received 167 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by dlq04
Sent a note to my cousin who attended PSU where he met his wife of near 50 years. Got this back:

We are… Broken hearted.
We are… Confused.
We are… Hard working student athletes in many sporting events with NO connection to former events.
WE ARE..... GOING TO SUPPORT JOE FOR ALL THE GREAT THINGS HE HAS DONE FOR ALL OF US

Old 11-10-2011, 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by dlq04

We are… Broken hearted.
We are… Confused.
I don't understand the continued support for Joe for all the great things he has done. My support would fly out the window upon learning of what he didn't do.

This is one time I would throw the baby out with the bathwater. To each their own.
Old 11-10-2011, 11:43 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by aashish2
Slideshow of crowds reaction to Paterno stepping down.

http://www.nytimes.com/slideshow/201...ERNO_HTML.html

Quote from related article below. Appears his influence is still strong. Maybe a Louisville Slugger will make them change their mind

Sometimes I get so sick of the media-5ajpq.jpg

Quick Reply: Sometimes I get so sick of the media