S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Sometimes I get so sick of the media

Old 07-12-2012, 07:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yes i did call you out now that the facts are out because i wanted to see how you felt because you didn't seem to think Joe held any responsibly

Originally Posted by A 2
They failed to protect the children, that was never disputed. Whether that failure was due to Paterno's desire to save the college football program or because he lacked the will or training to recognize a serious abuse
Really?? lacked the will or training?? so place the blame on the fact that he wasn't trained and not his actions?? any decent Man or Woman knows it does not take "training" to protect a child.. statements like this only serve to perpetuate the sick behavior that took place

yup guess he was a victim because he wasn't trained jezzz man.. really.. the facts are out - it was nothing but a cover up from the top down to protect a sick phuck
Old 07-13-2012, 05:45 AM
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Received 148 Likes on 119 Posts

Consider this strike 2.

I'm getting multiple complaints (from people who aren't even posting in this thread asking for this to be either cleaned up or shut down)

Keep the conversation subjective and not personal attacks on fellow members.
Old 07-13-2012, 06:05 AM

Received 1,058 Likes on 540 Posts

Here's my comment... Where there's smoke there's fire. A lot of the same people knew and worked together for years.

It makes me wonder how many more pedophiles there are in the organization.

It wouldn't surprise me if more are found. I'm sure the investigators will look harder as more information becomes available.

There's enough interest in this that eventually it will be fully vetted.

fltsfshr

Old 07-14-2012, 08:11 AM
A 2
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Received 167 Likes on 152 Posts

The following story was published by the NYTimes.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/14/sp...y.html?_r=1&hp

In light of this story, I was wrong and it just does not seem right to me that a contract was renegotiated and enforced by Joe Paterno and his family with the veiled threat of disruption by his supporters. Not sure what the fallout from this story will be but personal greed in a situation as catastrophic just does not sound right to me. I know I said I am staying away and I will, but I had to share this. Thank you.

Below is an excerpt:
In January 2011, Joe Paterno learned prosecutors were investigating his longtime assistant coach Jerry Sandusky for sexually assaulting young boys. Soon, Mr. Paterno had testified before a grand jury, and the rough outlines of what would become a giant scandal had been published in a local newspaper.

That same month, Mr. Paterno, the football coach at Penn State, began negotiating with his superiors to amend his contract, with the timing something of a surprise because the contract was not set to expire until the end of 2012, according to university documents and people with knowledge of the discussions. By August, Mr. Paterno and the university’s president, both of whom were by then embroiled in the Sandusky investigation, had reached an agreement.

Mr. Paterno was to be paid $3 million at the end of the 2011 season if he agreed it would be his last. Interest-free loans totaling $350,000 that the university had made to Mr. Paterno over the years would be forgiven as part of the retirement package. He would also have the use of the university’s private plane and a luxury box at Beaver Stadium for him and his family to use over the next 25 years.

The university’s full board of trustees was kept in the dark about the arrangement until November, when Mr. Sandusky was arrested and the contract arrangements, along with so much else at Penn State, were upended. Mr. Paterno was fired, two of the university’s top officials were indicted in connection with the scandal, and the trustees, who held Mr. Paterno’s financial fate in their hands, came under verbal assault from the coach’s angry supporters.

Board members who raised questions about whether the university ought to go forward with the payments were quickly shut down, according to two people with direct knowledge of the negotiations.

In the end, the board of trustees — bombarded with hate mail and threatened with a defamation lawsuit by Mr. Paterno’s family — gave the family virtually everything it wanted, with a package worth roughly $5.5 million. Documents show that the board even tossed in some extras that the family demanded, like the use of specialized hydrotherapy massage equipment for Mr. Paterno’s wife at the university’s Lasch Building, where Mr. Sandusky had molested a number of his victims.
Old 07-14-2012, 08:22 AM

Received 143 Likes on 92 Posts

It appears as though JoPa was a very not good person . All of that crap that he handed out about his high morality were perhaps simple fabrications of an outsized ego. I have way too many accounts of this over the past few days, and from what I can tell JoPa was a teensy tiny bit of a megalomaniac that controlled way too much of the policy at a state university, but that's just me thinking.
Old 07-14-2012, 08:51 AM

Received 775 Likes on 528 Posts

Initially I sat on the side lines until all of the facts were in. Now that they are in I am disgusted with the behavior of all of these officials including Joe Paterno. I held him in high esteem but not anymore. His legacy will forever be tarnished and he and the others have shamed a great University beyond anyone's comprehension. It will take a long time to heal these wounds. Joe will now have to explain his actions to the ultimate judge.
Old 07-14-2012, 10:23 AM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by A 2
The following story was published by the NYTimes.

In the end, the board of trustees .....threatened with a defamation lawsuit by Mr. Paterno’s family — gave the family virtually everything it wanted, with a package worth roughly $5.5 million. Documents show that the board even tossed in some extras that the family demanded, like the use of specialized hydrotherapy massage equipment for Mr. Paterno’s wife at the university’s Lasch Building.....

Greed is a fat demon with a small mouth and whatever you feed it is never enough.

-Janwillem van de Wetering
Old 07-14-2012, 02:03 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 3,949 Likes on 2,647 Posts

This is a problem when you have a hero culture and college sports is rife with it.
First we saw it in the "student athletes" who start getting special treatment in middle school if they are overly large or particularly talented.
It gets bumped up in high school and by college they are catered to by boosters.
A rape gets "handled " by the campus police and the victim quickly goes away with a gag agreement and a wad of cash from a booster and the player still starts on Saturday.

Why should we be surprised when the people who run the programs are just as corrupt?
Coaches and managers enjoy the thrill of power and control.
What is the dollar impact of a football program on a school? On the endowment contribution by the rabid alumni?
The TV revenues alone can approach a half mil a game. But ....
If the reputation of the school gets damaged, they can't draw top players.
If they can't draw good players, the money slows and stops.
When the money stops, the coaches lose control.
The two go hand in glove.
Old 07-14-2012, 06:08 PM

Received 5,758 Likes on 3,393 Posts

Originally Posted by Bass
i'd like to see those who suppoted Paterno in this thread come back and state their thoughts now that the truth is out.. ie aashish (A2)
Bass, you know what, if you dropped the "B" in your handle you would be admitting what you are. I have never met you..... but I have read enough of your posts over the years to know I don't want to. I started this thread because I felt the media jumps into any story that makes a headline and sells papers. As it turns out they were right on this one and as things developed more came to light. OK, but don't take any credit for being someone who "knows all"; you just manage to piss others off - like me. A2's posts are thoughtful and intelligent, so deal with it.

PS- As for my personal views at this time, I hope they remove Joe's bronze statue at the school before the sun rises tomorrow.
Old 07-15-2012, 08:16 AM

Received 775 Likes on 528 Posts

Originally Posted by dlq04
Originally Posted by Bass' timestamp='1342114721' post='21854463
i'd like to see those who suppoted Paterno in this thread come back and state their thoughts now that the truth is out.. ie aashish (A2)
Bass, you know what, if you dropped the "B" in your handle you would be admitting what you are. I have never met you..... but I have read enough of your posts over the years to know I don't want to. I started this thread because I felt the media jumps into any story that makes a headline and sells papers. As it turns out they were right on this one and as things developed more came to light. OK, but don't take any credit for being someone who "knows all"; you just manage to piss others off - like me. A2's posts are thoughtful and intelligent, so deal with it.

PS- As for my personal views at this time, I hope they remove Joe's bronze statue at the school before the sun rises tomorrow.

Quick Reply: Sometimes I get so sick of the media