S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Sometimes I get so sick of the media

Old 11-22-2011, 10:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dean
Originally Posted by SheDrivesIt' timestamp='1321983646' post='21177884
I am pretty sure that the incidence of child sexual abuse is no worse than it has been in the past. It is most likely even less than in the past as we are now more likely to talk about it rather than keep it quiet to avoid bringing shame on a community or organization. It is the same with child or spousal violence. Teen pregnancy -- same thing.
Child abuse in the US is actually on the increase. The rate of increase, in some cases, has outstripped the rate of population increase.
The actual rate? Or the reporting of it? HPH
Old 11-22-2011, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by Legal Bill
While you are correct, I still find it troubling that we all get up in arms when children are abused at well respected institutions but we don't even know about the hundreds of other cases that exist in every state. What is the message? Let's stamp out child abuse at nice places???
So, it's unseemly for one to hold and express an opinion on the matter, because there are so many other cases of which one is unaware occurring in - what I presume are - less respectable places? If so, that's certainly a unique stance.
Old 11-22-2011, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by DrCloud
I think it would be next to impossible to make that distinction. Incidences can't be entered into any statistical database without first being reported in some fashion. Reports are certainly on the increase. I believe it's fairly safe to state that the number of actual incidences of abuse is also on the increase as a result of population growth. And that's ignoring all other social, cultural, and behavioral factors, for examples, that may contribute to an increase.
Old 11-22-2011, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by dean
Originally Posted by DrCloud' timestamp='1321988489' post='21178117
I think it would be next to impossible to make that distinction. Incidences can't be entered into any statistical database without first being reported in some fashion. Reports are certainly on the increase. I believe it's fairly safe to state that the number of actual incidences of abuse is also on the increase as a result of population growth. And that's ignoring all other social, cultural, and behavioral factors, for examples, that may contribute to an increase.
You're probably right. We could hope that it's just more complete reporting (based on a more "enlighted" attitude of society in general), but there's no way to tell. And if the actual rate and the reported rate are constant, then known incidence will indeed increase with population growth. HPH
Old 11-22-2011, 05:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What I find mind-boggling is the statistic that about 20% of girls have been molested. Thinking back to high school, a typical class had about 30 students; 15 of those would be girls; statistically 3 would have been victims of molestation.
Old 11-23-2011, 07:53 AM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

You can obtain some mind numbing statisitcs from your department of social services, as well as any number of specific horror stories that never see the light of day because the media can't be bothered reporting about a child abused by a family member or some unknown deviant. Some of this has to do with privacy provisions that protect the victim. But the bottom line is that child abuse is a nasty little side of the human condition that most are just as happy not knowing about. When a case pops up involving a well respected institution, public figures and a cover-up, it gets all the press and outrage. More importantly, it gets the full weight of the law. But for every Sandusky who faces life in prison, there are a hundred who will not be prosecuted or will get to plea to some lesser crime and serve no time.
Old 11-23-2011, 08:07 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 2,954 Likes on 1,748 Posts

It is a sad state of affairs, I agree, LB. But I notice that this sordid episode has brought out victims in other situations, so maybe it will have an effect on those who are reluctant to come forward in any circumstance.
Old 11-23-2011, 01:14 PM

Received 5,758 Likes on 3,393 Posts

Bill, sad but true. Deb I noticed the same thing.
Old 11-23-2011, 01:21 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 3,949 Likes on 2,647 Posts

Well, additional victims have come forward including a family member.
Old 11-23-2011, 01:47 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 2,954 Likes on 1,748 Posts

Yep, he had adopted sons and took in foster kids. I've been waiting for the family members to come forward. I have no doubt that was another way for him to get to victims.

Quick Reply: Sometimes I get so sick of the media