S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Sometimes I get so sick of the media

Old 11-18-2011, 08:51 AM

Received 3,193 Likes on 1,847 Posts

Originally Posted by dlq04
It's starting to sound like a cranky old folks thread. Entertainment (tv, movies, sports, music) has replaced manufacturing. If it was for those industries along with financial manipulators, crooks in DC, and Facebook where would we be?
Old 11-18-2011, 12:12 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 809 Likes on 484 Posts

Originally Posted by dlq04
It's starting to sound like a cranky old folks thread. Entertainment (tv, movies, sports, music) has replaced manufacturing. If it was for those industries along with financial manipulators, crooks in DC, and Facebook where would we be?
I can't believe you said that! Don't make us come up there and give you a young man.
Old 11-21-2011, 08:21 AM

Boston's former Archbishop/Cardinal Bernard Law is retiring from his job at the Vatican. How this guy never went to jail, or even faced a jury is beyond me. He resigned in disgrace and was given a job at the Vatican. Yet another example of protecting the organization, and the hell with the victims.

Article
Ten months after he left office, Law's successor, now-Cardinal Sean P. O'Malley helped broker an $85 million settlement with more than 550 victims of pedophile priests.

While in Rome, Law has been a frequent presence at all major Vatican ceremonial and diplomatic events, a lifestyle that galled many abuse victims who have long insisted that the Vatican crack down on bishops who transfer abusive priests rather than report them to police.

There have been many folks who see parallels to the Church Scandal and the Penn State Scandal. How can you not?

Maybe that's why the talking heads talk so much. Look how deep the cover up was in the Church. I think we're going to find that Penn State's cover up went pretty deep as well.
Old 11-22-2011, 05:06 AM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by valentine
Originally Posted by Legal Bill' timestamp='1321538456' post='21163617
While I know this story is fascinating, it makes me wonder why we as a society do not pay this level of attention to the thousands of cases of child molestation that happen every year in this country. Perhaps the perps are not as well known as the crew at Penn State, but the victims are every bit as traumatized.
Probably because of the high profile nature of the perpetrators and the fact that a stately institution of higher learning would allow (or ignore) the goings on right under their educated noses. Children were entrusted to his tutelage and care and he violated that trust. We do not expect the lowest dregs of society (child molesters) to be in the employ of such a place. It is similar to the reason the catholic molestations were so horribly heinous. These men were trusted and high profile by virtue of their positions in life and their employer. AND the employer(s) in both instances covered up their crimes and appeared to care not a whit about the damage done to the children.
While you are correct, I still find it troubling that we all get up in arms when children are abused at well respected institutions but we don't even know about the hundreds of other cases that exist in every state. What is the message? Let's stamp out child abuse at nice places???
Old 11-22-2011, 05:26 AM

Originally Posted by Legal Bill
Originally Posted by valentine' timestamp='1321551999' post='21164442
[quote name='Legal Bill' timestamp='1321538456' post='21163617']
While I know this story is fascinating, it makes me wonder why we as a society do not pay this level of attention to the thousands of cases of child molestation that happen every year in this country. Perhaps the perps are not as well known as the crew at Penn State, but the victims are every bit as traumatized.
Probably because of the high profile nature of the perpetrators and the fact that a stately institution of higher learning would allow (or ignore) the goings on right under their educated noses. Children were entrusted to his tutelage and care and he violated that trust. We do not expect the lowest dregs of society (child molesters) to be in the employ of such a place. It is similar to the reason the catholic molestations were so horribly heinous. These men were trusted and high profile by virtue of their positions in life and their employer. AND the employer(s) in both instances covered up their crimes and appeared to care not a whit about the damage done to the children.
While you are correct, I still find it troubling that we all get up in arms when children are abused at well respected institutions but we don't even know about the hundreds of other cases that exist in every state. What is the message? Let's stamp out child abuse at nice places???
[/quote]
I don't think that is the message at all, Bill. Child abuse at any place is horrific. I'm sure there are many cases of abuse we don't know about. Most abused kids don't tell what is happening to them. However, the fact that these abuses happen by people associated with organizations that supposedly "care" about young people or have been known for "values and "integrity" adds another dimension to the whole ugly horrific story.
Old 11-22-2011, 07:08 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 3,949 Likes on 2,647 Posts

Unfortunately, I think some people may be more offended by the hypocrisy than the act Bill.

Allow me to play devils advocate for a second Bill.
How does one stop abuse?
First the victim, especially male victims, may hide the event.
"Tough guys don't let this happen to them, if they do, it means they are weak. " so they tend not to disclose.
In some cases, they psychologically bury it, denying it as though it never did happen.
Secondly privacy laws tend to obscure the event when it reported.
For all I know it happens next door.

so without trying to sound antagonistic, how do we fight child abuse?
Old 11-22-2011, 08:32 AM

Received 241 Likes on 180 Posts

You fight it by working hard to drag it out of the shadows and into the light of day. You fight it by continuing to work to ease or remove the stigma of being a victim.
Old 11-22-2011, 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by SheDrivesIt
You fight it by working hard to drag it out of the shadows and into the light of day. You fight it by continuing to work to ease or remove the stigma of being a victim.
And you enact strong laws to prosecute those who cover it up.
Old 11-22-2011, 08:40 AM

Received 241 Likes on 180 Posts

I am pretty sure that the incidence of child sexual abuse is no worse than it has been in the past. It is most likely even less than in the past as we are now more likely to talk about it rather than keep it quiet to avoid bringing shame on a community or organization. It is the same with child or spousal violence. Teen pregnancy -- same thing.
Old 11-22-2011, 09:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SheDrivesIt
I am pretty sure that the incidence of child sexual abuse is no worse than it has been in the past. It is most likely even less than in the past as we are now more likely to talk about it rather than keep it quiet to avoid bringing shame on a community or organization. It is the same with child or spousal violence. Teen pregnancy -- same thing.
Child abuse in the US is actually on the increase. The rate of increase, in some cases, has outstripped the rate of population increase.

Quick Reply: Sometimes I get so sick of the media