S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Sometimes I get so sick of the media

Old 11-12-2011, 08:02 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good read, HPH.

The more I think about it, the more I wonder whether the Penn State program "circled the wagons" around Sandusky when he was accused back in 1998. I have no evidence that they covered for him then, but in light of the subsequent coverup I have to wonder...
Old 11-12-2011, 01:00 PM

Received 3,193 Likes on 1,847 Posts

Originally Posted by RedY2KS2k
Good read, HPH.

The more I think about it, the more I wonder whether the Penn State program "circled the wagons" around Sandusky when he was accused back in 1998. I have no evidence that they covered for him then, but in light of the subsequent coverup I have to wonder...
I agree. His retirement at 55 in 1999 is now another point for speculation. There is a mention/comparison (in the linked article) of Cardinal Law of Boston. He managed to get an assignment to the Vatican, out of reach of being prosecuted (actually, not sure he could have been) for the mess in the Boston Diocese. He transferred many priests from parish to parish, and left others to clean up the mess. I heard on the news last week that he was celebrating his birthday. I have to wonder why anyone cares.
Old 11-12-2011, 01:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Lainey
Originally Posted by RedY2KS2k' timestamp='1321117340' post='21150741
Good read, HPH.

I agree. His retirement at 55 in 1999 is now another point for speculation...
Well, if it can be clearly shown that PSU Football (as an organization, meaning anyone in it with any authority) had knowledge of this [alleged] pederast's activities prior to his retirement and PSU Football allowed him continued, unsupervised access to its facilities, including his bringing in "guests" (who, of course, became victims) to the facility after his retirement, then things will get interesting.

PSU is a Commonwealth of PA institution, and it may have sovereign immunity. (Wouldn't that go over well in the court of public opinion?)

If not, PSU probably doesn't carry insurance for this sort of thing (if they're like the public universities I'm familiar with, they're "self insured"), and the lawsuits could well bankrupt the school. HPH
Old 11-13-2011, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by RedY2KS2k
Good read, HPH.

I have no doubt they circled the wagons. But I think the motivation wasn't Sandusky; it was more about their jobs and reputations and the reputation of the university. And it seems to have worked out as most cover up schemes do ultimately.

Thankfully.
Old 11-13-2011, 03:00 PM

Received 3,193 Likes on 1,847 Posts

Originally Posted by raymo19
Originally Posted by RedY2KS2k' timestamp='1321117340' post='21150741
Good read, HPH.

I have no doubt they circled the wagons. But I think the motivation wasn't Sandusky; it was more about their jobs and reputations and the reputation of the university. And it seems to have worked out as most cover up schemes do ultimately.

Thankfully.
They should have remembered "What a tangled web we weave.............."
Old 11-13-2011, 03:10 PM

Absolutely true, Lainey.

And, more than that, they really don't have the excuse of losing their jobs, because Federal whistle-blower legislation is specifically designed to protect people who sound the alarm.

So it's really all about the "family" business and circling the wagons. HPH
Old 11-13-2011, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by DrCloud
Absolutely true, Lainey.

And, more than that, they really don't have the excuse of losing their jobs, because Federal whistle-blower legislation is specifically designed to protect people who sound the alarm.

But make sure you cover your bases. Even in the county hospital environment I work in you need to be aware of who may be complicit in what you're reporting if they're up the chain of command. What you may be encouraged to do and the reality may be different.

Or hire a lawyer.
Old 11-13-2011, 04:27 PM

I find it interesting that our former Oklahoma coach Barry Switzer was called by the local newspaper and asked if he had an opinion on this as a former head coach. He replied that football coaches spend a lot of time together and it is hard to believe they all didn't know what was going on. He immediately started geting hate mail from Penn State people that he had no proof so why was he saying this. He called the lady and told her he wanted to change his statement to make it clear he had no proof. She reported this in the paper and added how much proof do you need that this was a typical cover up by Penn State to protect Joe.
Old 11-13-2011, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by raymo19
Originally Posted by DrCloud' timestamp='1321229443' post='21153033
Absolutely true, Lainey.

But make sure you cover your bases. Even in the county hospital environment I work in you need to be aware of who may be complicit in what you're reporting if they're up the chain of command. What you may be encouraged to do and the reality may be different.

Or hire a lawyer.
Yep. That's why I thought that op-ed piece using the Mafia for comparison was so interesting. You might need a bodyguard as well as a lawyer. HPH
Old 11-13-2011, 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by DrCloud
Yep. That's why I thought that op-ed piece using the Mafia for comparison was so interesting. You might need a bodyguard as well as a lawyer. HPH
Perhaps. But in this instance I'm sure I'd be the DIY type regardless of the fallout. I've never had a job I loved that much and I'm confident I never will.

Quick Reply: Sometimes I get so sick of the media