S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Sometimes I get so sick of the media

Old 11-11-2011, 08:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteS2k
Originally Posted by dean' timestamp='1321024400' post='21148287
Poor, poor, misunderstood Paterno. It truly is touching to see all this concern for the real victim in this travesty of justice.
Now we have come full circle for this thread. Once again, the blame goes to the "media". Mr. Paterno did not ask to be the center of attention, it was thrusted upon him by the media. And as someone else mentioned, the PSU Board just caved under the pressure from the media instead of doing "what is right" for the victims. I don't know if Mr. Paterno is guilty of any wrong doings (either sins of commission or sins of omission), and we may never know the full story.
You and my point appear to exist in different time zones.

The fact of the matter is that Paterno did next to nothing. A fact that should be self-evident, given the circumstances. As the father of a child who was sexually molested repeatedly for nearly two years, I take exception to this coward being lionized and having his behavior excused all because he happens to be good at some idiotic game.
Had someone behaved in the same manner as Paterno in my case, I would have absolutely no qualms about putting a bullet in such a waste of flesh. And I wouldn't care in the least if he/she had discovered the cure for cancer.
Old 11-11-2011, 09:16 AM

Received 143 Likes on 92 Posts

A point of perspective here.
Fact 1: The governor of PA is Tom Corbett.
Fact 2: The states attorney for the Commonwealth of Pa at the time the grand jury, again Tom Corbett
Fact 3: As the prosecutor that impaneled the GJ, he was required to NOT discuss the case before an indictment was issued.
Fact 4: As governor Mr. Corbett is a trustee of PSU
Fact 5: The governor did not attend any trustee meetings UNTIL the discussions of how to handle this situation.
Fact 6: Immediately after his first trustee meeting as the governor, and former Attorney General for the state, JoPa was relieved of his job.
Fact 7: JoPa has hired a high powered DC lawyer
Fact 8: After the trustees meeting with the governor and former prosecutor where the decks were cleared and people charged, Mike McQuarie is still a member of the coaching staff.

These are all facts, you can draw whatever conclusions that you will from them. This is not hype but the facts. Is it overhyped, maybe, but is there a real story with REAL victims? I think that we would all agree, we have seen a lot of bad stuff from a lot of powerful people.

If you want to read an article regarding his remarks on Spanier and Paterno, here
Old 11-11-2011, 11:07 AM

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

Time to a new topic

I feel sorry for the victims but agree with Dean's comment about "an idiotic game"

Old 11-11-2011, 11:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A 28-year old Mike McQuery saw, with his own two eyes, Jerry Sandusky raping a boy of "about 10 years old" in the shower. He turned and walked away. I'm to believe that he didn't know that he was witnessing a felony in progress? That he somehow thought there was some set of circumstances that make it all right for Sandusky to do that? That the Penn State football program was more important than helping a 10-year old rape victim?

This man is the receiver coach, held up as a role model to other young men?
Old 11-11-2011, 12:47 PM
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Received 148 Likes on 119 Posts

fyi:

http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2011/11/11...e-allegations/
Old 11-11-2011, 02:36 PM

Received 3,193 Likes on 1,847 Posts

Originally Posted by RedY2KS2k
A 28-year old Mike McQuery saw, with his own two eyes, Jerry Sandusky raping a boy of "about 10 years old) in the shower. He turned and walked away. I'm to believe that he didn't know that he was witnessing a felony in progress? That he somehow thought there was some set of circumstances that make it all right for Sandusky to do that? That the Penn State football program was more important than helping a 10-year old rape victim?

I too wonder what was going on in his mind to not try to intervene, call the police or do something immediately.

My .02 is that the football program that is Penn State was led by some powerful people, perhaps he felt this had to be handled by someone above him. Perhaps I'm giving him too much credit.

A bad situation made worse by his inability to to the right thing.

Watching the news now and see that McQuery has been put on leave. Rightfully so.
Old 11-11-2011, 04:19 PM

Received 241 Likes on 180 Posts

AT the time, McCreary was not an authority figure in the organization although he is now as he is an assistant coach. With the threats, of course, he won't be coaching this week. I wouldn't be surprised if McCreary was fired as well.

There is no doubt, though, that this was Joe Paterno's football program. There may have been an AD at the school but I doubt he really had much sway over Joe P.

I agree with firing Paterno.
Old 11-12-2011, 03:23 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 3,949 Likes on 2,647 Posts

Originally Posted by hecash
Originally Posted by RedY2KS2k' timestamp='1321044999' post='21149219
A 28-year old Mike McQuery saw, with his own two eyes, Jerry Sandusky raping a boy of "about 10 years old" in the shower. He turned and walked away. I'm to believe that he didn't know that he was witnessing a felony in progress? That he somehow thought there was some set of circumstances that make it all right for Sandusky to do that? That the Penn State football program was more important than helping a 10-year old rape victim?

The ballless SOB should have run right in to break it up and then got on the phone and called the cops. No ifs, ands or buts!
I agree with minor modification, in that after he stopped sandusky, he then should have broken both his legs, to make sure he didn't run off and then called the cops.
Perhaps knocking him unconscious for good measure.

Mcquery has been put on administrative leave. He actually winds up getting some protection as a "whistleblower", which is why he just wasn't sacked outright along with the others.
as for the sharks, good.
I believe any victims after this reported event can hold paterno individually, as well as the school liable.

When it comes to personal ethics and doing the right thing, I guess I'm a black and white kind of guy.
I'll start by working within the organization but I have a very limited amount of patience.
sort of makes me a pain in the ass to work with. I'd like to be able to say it makes me sleep better at night.
but it doesn't, ethics crap still agitates me. I've never responded well to "let it go, you have to think of your career"

I wonder if JoePa ever uttered those words to Mcquery.

I'm thinking sandusky will be needing a private cell, rumor has it the inmate population doesn't take a shine to child molesters.
Old 11-12-2011, 03:46 AM

Originally Posted by boltonblue
I'm thinking sandusky will be needing a private cell, rumor has it the inmate population doesn't take a shine to child molesters.
It's no rumor. Child rapists are at the very bottom of the prison social hierarchy. They're usually kept segregated from GP. I know of one case in which the prison admin thought they could keep the nature of a conviction a secret from the other inmates and attempted to integrate a child rapist into GP. IIRC, it remained a secret for about a week. Once the secret was out, some inmates held the POS down and tattooed "molester" across his forehead in India ink. Admin had to put him in solitary and that's where he stayed for the entirety of his sentence.
Old 11-12-2011, 04:26 AM

Here is an interesting perspective on all this, one that I think adds valuable context. HPH

Quick Reply: Sometimes I get so sick of the media