S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Sometimes I get so sick of the media

Old 11-10-2011, 07:25 PM

Received 3,193 Likes on 1,847 Posts

Originally Posted by Laker
Originally Posted by Lainey' timestamp='1320982984' post='21147294
[quote name='Laker' timestamp='1320975165' post='21147040']
The media has played a big part. A week ago, they all shouted the virtues of Joe Pa when he became the winningest coach. Then, without knowing all the facts they crucified him. Now, some are writing we need to let the law do its job and not race to judgement.

Joe Pa did NOT commit a crime and no charges have been filed, yet PSU terminated his contract.

I am not saying he did no wrong, but where was due process. None, thanks to media pressure to the Board to "do what is best for PSU"

It would be great to know how many of the Board members voted to give Sandusky the golden parachute to leave in 99 after the police investigated him in 98. These same Board members did less to stop this behavior then Paterno did, yet they ,made him pay the penalty.
Jo Pa was supposed to be all that was good and wholesome and loaded with integrity and all the BS that made him so great. You tell me how someone so good and with such integrity didn't bother to follow through after he reported the incident to the administrators. Was he not curious when no police officers came to question him after he reported the incident to the administrators?? He had to know the incident was being swept under the rug. I can't accept the "he didn't break the law or commit a crime" mantra. What happened to moral obligation??
1. We don't know everything and what all he was told by the coach who reported what he saw in the shower with Sandusky and the youth. one would think being told of inappropriate behavior, sexual in nature would have set off red flags

2. He reported it, no police came to him to follow up. Did that mean his superiors did not report it to the Police? Or we're others covering it up? Whoever covered this up is scum, but why would a moral person, not question why nothing further came from this incident that he reported

3. I don't disagree he failed on his moral obligation. Just like the Pope, hundreds of Bishops and Priests for their work I. Ruining the lives of hundreds of young men. BUT, the Church was able to throw money at that behavior and solve the problem. One would have hoped people would have learned from the mess of the catholic church. Those that were abused have a lifetime of issues due to the church sweeping issues under the rug.

4. Again, why does the Board of Trustees not accept their role of responsibility for this problem instead of doing " what is best for PSU". Had they done the "best for PSU" in 1998, Sandusky would have been gone I agree, there is likely more to come out about what transpired in 1998.

5. Don't you just love how the Board has "asked" the assistant coach to not be on the sidelines this Sat? {color=red} heard there were threats against him [/color]

6. Just learned Paterno just lawyered up for a possible criminal defense. We probably will never know the whole true story, but I am sure the media will try and tell us all. I'm sure Mr. Paterno's attorneys will try to undo the damage he caused by stating he wished he had done more. I'd bet they will also advise him not to make any more public statements.
[/quote]

My .04 in red
Old 11-11-2011, 03:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by raymo19
Originally Posted by DrCloud' timestamp='1320971250' post='21146907
Somewhere else on S2KI? Where? Link? HPH
This page - under the avatar - dubious at best. Screen name asshat or something close to that.
Ah. Sorry. I've got avatars turned off, so I didn't see it. HPH
Old 11-11-2011, 04:18 AM
A 2
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Received 167 Likes on 152 Posts

Interesting article from the BBC titled Penn State: Would you do better than Joe Paterno?

The title may be misleading in that it may appear to be supporting Joe Pa. The article however is about the psyche and pattern of behaviour exhibited by people in such situations. Some of you may find this interesting.
Old 11-11-2011, 05:09 AM

Received 5,758 Likes on 3,393 Posts

Originally Posted by aashish2
Interesting article from the BBC titled Penn State: Would you do better than Joe Paterno?

The title may be misleading in that it may appear to be supporting Joe Pa. The article however is about the psyche and pattern of behaviour exhibited by people in such situations. Some of you may find this interesting.
Good post; worth reading!
Old 11-11-2011, 06:13 AM

Poor, poor, misunderstood Paterno. It truly is touching to see all this concern for the real victim in this travesty of justice.
Old 11-11-2011, 06:59 AM

Received 1,058 Likes on 540 Posts

It looks like multiple victims and a coverup that's been going on since the 90's. Who knows how long before that?

If as many people at the Penn knew about it as they seem to be indicating, there's going to be lots more heads rolling than just Paterno's.

I have no sympathy for child molesters, or those who protect them. This is going to cost the University and the citizens of Pennsylvania a lot of money. The lawyers are circling like sharks on blood chum.

This one is going to be a bad one.

fltsfshr
Old 11-11-2011, 07:27 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Due process regarding an employment contract for a football coach usually consists of the President or board asking him to step down. Period, end of story. That's the contract. Don't win enough games, you're fired. Bring disgrace to the institution, you're fired.

I suspect that Joe Pa's contract contains a "golden parachute" in case of dismissal. Most big-time coaches' contracts do. So he'll likely walk away with more money after being fired than if he had retired after the end of the season.
Old 11-11-2011, 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by dean
Poor, poor, misunderstood Paterno. It truly is touching to see all this concern for the real victim in this travesty of justice.
Now we have come full circle for this thread. Once again, the blame goes to the "media". Mr. Paterno did not ask to be the center of attention, it was thrusted upon him by the media. And as someone else mentioned, the PSU Board just caved under the pressure from the media instead of doing "what is right" for the victims. I don't know if Mr. Paterno is guilty of any wrong doings (either sins of commission or sins of omission), and we may never know the full story.
Old 11-11-2011, 08:08 AM

Received 2,885 Likes on 1,713 Posts

What about the guy who reported it to Joe Pa? Why wasn't he fired for not following up on his claim? I'm not defending or accusing anyone because none of us know the facts but it seems strange that if Joe Pa is getting crucified for not following up on his report that the other guy should be in the same boat.

Just wondering
Old 11-11-2011, 08:23 AM
A 2
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Received 167 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by Scooterboy
What about the guy who reported it to Joe Pa? Why wasn't he fired for not following up on his claim? I'm not defending or accusing anyone because none of us know the facts but it seems strange that if Joe Pa is getting crucified for not following up on his report that the other guy should be in the same boat.

Just wondering
That Graduate Assistant is now the Assistant Coach. He is being kept away from Penn State's game this weekend because he has received death threats. I think he too may be the target of an investigation in the future. He has received criticism as well for not calling 911 being a 28 year old or so when he witnessed the incident.

Quick Reply: Sometimes I get so sick of the media