S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Some compelling pictures of a dead 6 flags

Old 07-12-2011, 08:03 AM
tof
Member (Premium)

Received 2,095 Likes on 1,410 Posts

Originally Posted by FLA-Vyk
Another major corporation received millions in insurance moneys, but did not put then to use. I was there about 7-8 years ago with family and friends and had a great time. The place was beautiful and well cared for and now when so many people could be employed to rebuild this park, it sets there with nothing being done. I do not intend to go to another 6 Flags park again, and will be selling my stock in 6 Flags. It is not a cooperation that I want to deal with.
Blame the corporations, but save some blame for local government. Refurbishment plans by Six Flags owners and others have been derailed several times by local red tape.
Old 07-13-2011, 11:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

tof - I know what you mean about local zoning officials. Going though it now about my new house. I am demolishing a house that is over 60 years old, eaten up with every bug there is and covered over with vines and other growth to build a new one. The county permit office says the old house doesn't exist because there computer records. The county computer only go back 15 years. There to lazy to get out of there office, so I had to take pictures of it. Then the had the gall to say that they would have to verify I was correct and within the next 4-6 weeks someone would come out to the property to insure the pictures were correct. Don't you love government.
Old 07-13-2011, 12:32 PM
tof
Member (Premium)

tof - I know what you mean about local zoning officials. Going though it now about my new house. I am demolishing a house that is over 60 years old, eaten up with every bug there is and covered over with vines and other growth to build a new one. The county permit office says the old house doesn't exist because there computer records. The county computer only go back 15 years. There to lazy to get out of there office, so I had to take pictures of it. Then the had the gall to say that they would have to verify I was correct and within the next 4-6 weeks someone would come out to the property to insure the pictures were correct. Don't you love government.
Great story.

If it wasn't so sad it would be funny!

And they say local government is the best government. The scary thing is: "they" could be right.
Old 07-13-2011, 01:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am demolishing a house that is over 60 years old, eaten up with every bug there is and covered over with vines and other growth to build a new one. The county permit office says the old house doesn't exist because there computer records.
You should have agreed with them on the spot and demanded a refund of all the various property taxes you've paid over the years. I'm guessing the house would pop into existence again like magic.
Old 07-13-2011, 04:10 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 4,009 Likes on 2,672 Posts

a former coworker had to deal with local governments.
they had bought a house with full intention of raising it and building a new property.
it was a small lot but it was waterfront etc etc etc. they wanted to relocate the house further from the water.
The town determined the lot was not conforming to current standards and wouldn't allow them to build.
So they simply "renovated" the old house.
They retained a section of wall 3 feet high and 8 feet long in the middle of the basement.
everything else was new.
Old 07-14-2011, 11:21 AM
tof
Member (Premium)

Originally Posted by boltonblue
a former coworker had to deal with local governments.
they had bought a house with full intention of raising it and building a new property.
it was a small lot but it was waterfront etc etc etc. they wanted to relocate the house further from the water.
The town determined the lot was not conforming to current standards and wouldn't allow them to build.
So they simply "renovated" the old house.
They retained a section of wall 3 feet high and 8 feet long in the middle of the basement.
everything else was new.
It's not just local government that loves red tape. HOAs are notorious for silly rulemaking. I once owned a lot that fronted on a retention pond. I wanted to build a bulkhead on the pond because one corner of the house was very close to the pond with a steep grade from house to pond. The HOA would not approve my plans because bulkheads violated the covenants. However when I resubmitted the same plans but changed labeling to retaining wall (a landscaping feature), the project was approved. (I did this work myself and a recent visit to the property by Rob found that the bulkh...er...retaining wall was as good as the day I finished it. Biggest landscaping project I ever took on. But I was young then. )
Old 07-14-2011, 11:38 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 438 Likes on 308 Posts

That is a lot of scrap metal. If anyone has seen "The Wire" those photos make me picture Bubbles trying to put hunks of the roller coaster into a shopping cart.