S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

SoCal Fires -- pictures & comments

Old 10-25-2007, 05:31 PM

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

Being one of the evacuees Iam so grateful for the wonderful world that we live in. I was at Qualcomm stadium and could not get over how hospitable people were over there. They really wanted to be there for you and offered help constantly.
Old 10-25-2007, 06:29 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 3,534 Likes on 1,914 Posts

Carbon Blue, did you go home? Do you have a home still? Where do you live? Thank you for posting about your experience.
Old 10-25-2007, 06:52 PM

yes I was able to return home , It was really something else getting that reverse 911 call. Packing up all the cars with our most cherished belongings and leaving the house not knowing if it was going to be there the next day or not. Thank god our area was not touched by the fires, it was the del mar heights fire/rancho santa fe that was threatening us because it was just on the other side of the canyon from us. By the time we got the reverse 911 call and saw it on the news, I opened the garage and it was really like the scene from independence day when the UFO was entering. Peoples garages were all open running into the house and packing their cars etc. As we arrived to Qualcomm stadium we were greeted with nothing but support and concern. Those volunteers really made things much more calm. I cant thank everyone enough as to how much help they have been through this whole process, though I did not lose my home just knowing that there ARE people out there that really care for you even if you were a stranger. It was really a sight to witness so many people helping other people. Unfortunately one of my close friends homes burned down and the only thing that was left was the chimney. By the time they were notified they were awaken by someone banging on their door, by the time she opened the door her house was already on fire. I really do feel for the people that have lost so much during this time and again Iam thankful that Iam one of the more fortunate ones.

Everyone at the stadium was accomodated with TONS of food, brand new blankets, cots,chairs, and pillows. they even had a play center for the kids. It was pretty much a Vons supermarket and home depot put together, If you needed it they had it.
Old 10-26-2007, 12:48 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 3,534 Likes on 1,914 Posts

Where did they get all the stuff? Brand new, even? Amazing!
Old 10-26-2007, 02:57 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 2,971 Likes on 1,757 Posts

Whew...so glad you dodged the bullet. I looked up some of the communities on the map to see where they were in relation to SD. I went right by some of them when I was out there a few years ago, such as Rancho Bernardo, just off the I-5 on the way to Escondido. I guess some of the fires jumped the interstate? So strange how one house burned and the next didn't.
Old 10-26-2007, 03:02 AM

Received 5,800 Likes on 3,419 Posts

I simply can not imagine the sense of loss for the people who lost things that can not be replaced. I realize the most valuable thing is your life and the other stuff is just "stuff" but...... for example, I still feel a sense of loss over something as little as a piece of paper.

My uncle Bill was killed at St Lo in WWII when I was three. Naturally I never knew him but I heard reference to him my entire life. My mother had saved his Western Union type letters for almost 60 years from when he was overseas. Somehow they were lost or tossed out during her move from PA to MI a few years ago. It bugs me to this day.
Old 10-26-2007, 04:13 AM

Received 3,216 Likes on 1,863 Posts

with you Dave. Though it's just "stuff" and not the most important thing by any means, it's your "stuff" and if you didn't want it, you'd have tossed it long ago. Much of the "stuff" we keep has a lot of sentimental value, such as your uncle's letters. It's not the end of the world to lose stuff, but it still must be very difficult.

Carbon Blue, glad you and your family made out OK.
Old 10-26-2007, 04:50 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 825 Likes on 489 Posts

Old 10-26-2007, 08:36 AM

Received 1,103 Likes on 699 Posts

My niece, husband and dog had to flee their home in Escondido at 4 am. They called us last night, are back at home with no damage. They sent us a picture they took of Bush's helicopter landing in the park right by thier house.
The area my house is in burned in 1982, it took out 18,000 acres in 24 hours. Fire is our biggest concern, although since '82 there are now huge firebreaks (also called vineyards) that would slow down most fires without Santa Ana type winds.
I think all convicted arsonists should be burned at the stake. The ultimate thrill for them.
Old 10-26-2007, 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by Morris,Oct 26 2007, 08:36 AM
I think all convicted arsonists should be burned at the stake. The ultimate thrill for them.

Quick Reply: SoCal Fires -- pictures & comments