S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

SoCal Fires -- pictures & comments

Old 10-24-2007, 12:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SoCal Fires -- pictures & comments

I drove from San Clemente to Vista this morning and snapped a few photos of the fires at Camp Pendleton. There are several fires all over LA, Orange County and San Diego County. We wake up with ash all over our yards, and it's felt in the lungs and eyes.

San Clemente morning

passing the San Onofre Nuclear plant, going towards the fires

Some commentary: Camp Pendleton is charred, but nobody really minds too much--no loss of life or property. They are hearing the occasional "pop", as unspent ammunition goes off in the hills. Some of the brush has been there for 30 years.
--KOGO AM 600 in San Diego (Clear Channel) has been going commercial-free for the past few days, and is the best source for news, as listeners and aid organizations call in actual accounts.
--It is GRATIFYING to hear churches and aid stations calling to say that they have more volunteers and food than they do evacuees. This is not the exception in San Diego, but the rule.
--Pets and livestock are being taken in by nearly all boarding houses not affected (gratis). Those unaffected that have horse trailers are either dropping off food, or hauling out animals in jeapordy.

I have had two friends lose houses where they once lived, but luckily their present houses have escaped the flames. One of my friends in Scottsdale tells me that his entire extended family in San Diego (Fallbrook, Pauma Valley) have evacuated to friends houses in Orange County.

Bottom line, while there are more evacuees than Katrina, it ain't Katrina. The government, private companies and charitable organizations are working like a well-oiled machine. People here know that when the Santa Ana's blow, there will be fire.
Old 10-24-2007, 12:45 PM

Received 474 Likes on 337 Posts

That is truly encouraging to read. It is really unfortunate that people in San Diego is going thorugh this difficult challenge. We send our prayers and thoughts for those who must overcome their current crisis. Thank you for posting this news from the front.
Old 10-24-2007, 01:05 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 825 Likes on 489 Posts

I'm so sad that so many people are losing their homes and particularly saddened by the loss of life. These pictures really bring this home to me. Seeing news on tv, etc. isn't as personal as seeing pics from someone with whom we often converse on the forum. Best wishes.
Old 10-24-2007, 01:10 PM

Believe it or not, while the Cedar Fire of two years ago took out more homes, this is a bigger fire. Most of the people who are told to evacuate, actually listen. Fires move a lot quicker than you can imagine--all it takes is one little ember. There are still neighborhoods where the Cedar Fire hit that are still concrete slabs.

In two weeks San Diego will be back to normal, except for those who lost everything. They will be working through this tragedy for years to come.

Valentine--the loss of life is extremely low. Five casualties out of 1 million evacuaees is truly a miracle.
Old 10-24-2007, 01:30 PM

Received 5,800 Likes on 3,419 Posts

Our local weather guy super-imposed the distance of the CA fires on a MI map - it was a real eye opener. No wonder they can't control things. I certainly hope things improve soon.
Old 10-24-2007, 03:05 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 2,971 Likes on 1,757 Posts

I saw a post by traveler from day before yesterday saying the fire was nearing his house and he was prepared in case he had to leave. Anyone heard from him since??
Old 10-24-2007, 03:33 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 3,534 Likes on 1,914 Posts

Originally Posted by MsPerky,Oct 24 2007, 04:05 PM
I saw a post by traveler from day before yesterday saying the fire was nearing his house and he was prepared in case he had to leave. Anyone heard from him since??
Brian heard from Picturepro (Bill) that his home (Traveler's/Brian) was still there yesterday, but then last night things got worse in his area again. I haven't heard any word today. Picturepro has a thread in the So Cal forum with photos he's taken of the fire.

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=537194
^Picturepro's thread.
Old 10-24-2007, 04:12 PM

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

Some very dramatic photo's. As Valentine mentioned, it is one thing to see the video's on television, it is totally another when people you have met are involved . Hopefully, the firefiighers will get this under control soon.
Old 10-24-2007, 05:03 PM

Received 2,886 Likes on 1,713 Posts

When I drove down I-5 to San Diego in September I was amazed as to how dry everything looked. We that live in areas that get that dry just can't imagine what a fire storm is like.

My prayers go out to all involved.
Old 10-24-2007, 05:17 PM

As sad as I am for all the unfortunate people involved, I am proud of how the victims and the communities are dealing with this massive problem.

Quick Reply: SoCal Fires -- pictures & comments