S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

So you had a bad day

Old 03-05-2013, 09:53 AM

Received 57 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by valentine
Originally Posted by MsPerky' timestamp='1362486458' post='22381147
I hope you get things sorted out soon.
Thanks, MsP. It'll be okay if I can just deal for a while. I think the unseasonably cold temps have a lot to do with the increased pain. I'm trying to take care of it without resorting to prescription pain meds. I'm having some spasms in my back and drinking tonic water is helpful so I'm hoping it resolves itself soon. I'm still walking every day in the hopes that'll strengthen the back and loosen up the muscles. We'll see.
Val, your plumbing problems would be enough to give me back pain. Perhaps it is mostly stress and once the plumbing problem is all cleaned up you will find the back has eased as well. I do hope so.
Old 03-05-2013, 09:57 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by jukngene
Not really having a bad day, just need to bitch. I am the treasurer for our Homeowners' Association, and as such, am responsible for sending out the annual bills for dues. There are 127 property owners, and it takes quite a bit of time to do the billing, not to mention making sure the books are OK. I sent out the bills in mid-January, requesting immediate payment, but stating that Feb. 28th was the latest date to pay. Well, as of today, 23 property owners have not paid, so I have spent the better part of this morning printing and mailing Past Due notices to these folks. Now, you have to realize that our neighborhood, while not extremely upscale, is still composed of custom homes, no two are alike, so one would think that the owners could afford the measly $75 per year dues, and pay promptly.This is especially frustrating since most associations have dues of that much or more per month. Sheesh! I'll bet that I'll have to send out another letter to a few of these owners.

OK, thanks for letting me get that off my chest! Off to the PO to mail these letters.
Our little cul-de-sac is only 35 homes, but we have the equivalent of an HOA. We maintain the "common green", main loop roadway and service drives, trees, leaf-raking and snow plowing. Dues are $450/yr and we also have laggards in payment. The treasurer is a young lady who is net savvy and she deluges the late-payers with weekly emails. Most people pay up before the annual meeting in early February...lest their name be read out loud to their assembled fellow homeowners

Unless there is a reason in Bylaws to NOT do it, I suggest any group like this have a "late charge" for each month "past due". Some people just don't want to do that....meanwhile wasting the time of volunteer officers like you
Old 03-05-2013, 09:58 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 1,003 Likes on 519 Posts

Here's my bad day today... I was typing my whole travel ordeal from the weekend, and accidentally hit the back button.
Old 03-05-2013, 10:11 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 1,669 Likes on 860 Posts

Originally Posted by paS2K
Our little cul-de-sac is only 35 homes, but we have the equivalent of an HOA. We maintain the "common green", main loop roadway and service drives, trees, leaf-raking and snow plowing. Dues are $450/yr and we also have laggards in payment. The treasurer is a young lady who is net savvy and she deluges the late-payers with weekly emails. Most people pay up before the annual meeting in early February...lest their name be read out loud to their assembled fellow homeowners

Unless there is a reason in Bylaws to NOT do it, I suggest any group like this have a "late charge" for each month "past due". Some people just don't want to do that....meanwhile wasting the time of volunteer officers like you
Jerry, I would love to use e-mail to send late notices, but we have several owners who either don't have e-mail or refuse to give me their addresses. We also have in our by-laws the ability to assess a late charge, but I haven't done that in the past. Maybe time to start? I'll see how the response from this round of letters pans out.

Old 03-05-2013, 10:14 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 1,669 Likes on 860 Posts

Originally Posted by Scooterboy
:bitchfest=on:

Well today is day two of a teacher strike at the school system where my wife Patty teaches. I am having a hard time keeping my mouth shut but I know if I truly tell my wife how I feel she will slap me silly.

I support her in making her decision to strike but I think what they are doing is stupid. Some of the union members public actions have been thugish and should stop. Some of the BOE actions have been childish and hopefully will be remembered come election time.

:bitchfest=off:
David, I agree with you. Not saying any more lest this gets moved to the political forum.

Old 03-05-2013, 10:55 AM
Member (Premium)

Ok- Here’s my real rant from the last week…

Going out to Bozeman (BZN) on Tuesday… Arrive at Philly (PHL) early, drop my bag off and I’m told to go to Special Services. Now, I know I’m special (I just saved Jerry the need to tell me) so I go anyway. The inbound plane that is taking me to Chicago to transfer to BZN is late, so I won’t make my transfer. They book me on another airline (I think US Airways?) and have to get ticketed there now.

I get my bag back and walk from terminal D to C. I get the ticket but my bags won’t make it since there’s only 52 minutes (not the required 60) to move bags between planes. My bag would arrive on the noon flight Wednesday, but the rest of the group gets in at 10:30 and then we leave for West Yellowstone. The agent talks to his supervisor, no override, but he finds another flight that might work. Since United had my original ticket, they have to do the swap. Back to terminal D I go. I talk to the agent there again. Give them the flight info the US Air agent had and the United agent is able to switch it again, this time over to Delta, through Minneapolis (MPS) and not Chicago (I really don’t care at this point). So, grab my bag and backpack (with all my camera gear, about 20 more lbs easily) and head over to terminal C. Finally, I get on, we go, I transfer, I arrive in Bozeman.

Then, it’s Sunday and we’re coming home…

Scheduled 2:45 MT from BZN to MPS, and a 7:45 CT flight to PHL. Simple…

About 2 PM they announce that due to low clouds in BZN, the incoming flight from MPS couldn’t land, they circled and had to go to Billings to refuel. Unfortunately, the weather in BZN was heading to Billings and the plane couldn’t leave there. 3 PM, 4 PM, 5 PM… It’s apparent that the 7:45 flight to PHL wasn’t going to happen. The others in my group are also leaving between 7:45 and 8:30 to Cleveland and Richmond, so we all start to look for options. There’s a 7 AM flight from MPS to PHL. An option, but they are predicting the storm to hit MPS around 3 AM. That already puts the 7 AM flight at jeopardy. We decide that if we get to MPS on Sunday night, we’ll keep going to Detroit, which has more options on Monday morning. 6 PM, 7 PM… that’s not an option anymore either…

We finally land in MPS around midnight, get an overnight kit, our tickets for the morning and a hotel discount coupon. I had checked my bags all the way to PHL. I didn’t want to have to run or carry it anymore. Everything was dirty, and my only clean underwear was in my carry on anyway. Dirty pants and smelly shirt, one more day!

Monday morning, get to the airport, board the full flight. Weather hasn't hit yet, so it looks like we're going to actually take off. Have to gate check my backpack and camera gear. I wish they’d enforce the one overhead and one personal item under the seat rule. The things people bring on as carry-ons… ARGHHHH, different rant!

After half hour, the pilot gets on. A secondary alarm is going off. It’s the backup pitot tube sensor (air speed, temp, etc..) If it goes off mid-flight, no biggie, it’s a backup, but they won’t take off with it alarming. Wait 30 minutes for a tech and they reset it. Nothing. Please deplane while we find other options. Finally get another plane there (about 15 minutes before the 10 AM flight was set to leave). Finally land in PHL early afternoon and get my luggage and car and a snack and I’m home by 3.

I promised pictures in the Yellowstone thread (or was at least told I would provide them). Here's the online gallery. Only one quick pic so far from last night, I'll get more up in the coming days/weeks:

https://picasaweb.google.com/1126411...ellowstone2013

Old 03-05-2013, 11:17 AM

Received 57 Likes on 46 Posts

The eagle is wonderful. I bet you wish you were as free as him when it comes to flying. I think flying is getting to be more and more often a horror story.
Old 03-05-2013, 11:34 AM

Received 3,223 Likes on 1,865 Posts

Very cool eagle pic. I hope the time in AZ between the horror story of your flights was fun. When I read stories like yours, I'm glad our last vacation trips have been road trips.
Old 03-05-2013, 11:42 AM
Member (Premium)

Lainey, don't know how AZ was, I was in Montana and Wyoming
Old 03-05-2013, 11:58 AM

Received 3,223 Likes on 1,865 Posts

Originally Posted by Heyitsgary
Lainey, don't know how AZ was, I was in Montana and Wyoming
OOPS! Hope it wasn't too cold. Looking forward to more of your pics.

Quick Reply: So you had a bad day