S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

So you had a bad day

Old 01-22-2013, 04:25 AM
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Received 625 Likes on 377 Posts

Our sympathy and condolences, Barbara.
Old 01-22-2013, 07:52 AM

Received 5,801 Likes on 3,420 Posts

Originally Posted by plantpixie

My mom's memorial was on Saturday. She was very sick for a long time but still it is hard to let go. Her service was beautiful and I held up well. (Matt did not) I will miss her always.
Donna & I are very sorry for your loss.
Old 01-22-2013, 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by silvershadow
I consider myself enlightened but I have to say that getting my wife to carry the salt bag was a real hit to the ego, and sent me off on a bad day.
You can't take yourself too serious. Heck, I let my wife finish shoveling the snow yesterday because I had to meet the boys for lunch (and drinks). Didn't bother my ego a bit.

What's interesting about meeting these long time friends, once a month or so, is finding out how many 'bad' days we've each had since the last time. Honestly, I always feel like my life is great after hearing and sharing stories.
Old 01-22-2013, 08:28 AM

Received 3,223 Likes on 1,865 Posts

Originally Posted by MsPerky
The key is to make things manageable for you. My mother is not supposed to lift anything more than 10 pounds because of her back. So if she has groceries, for example, she breaks things up into more bags. It can be frustrating, I'm sure, but it makes doing things possible where they might not otherwise be.
This is true on the large scale (John's 40 pound bags of salt) and the small scale as well. While wearing a sling after shoulder surgeries, I could not pour milk from a gallon container. It was awkward at counter height and too heavy for even my "good arm" which wasn't that good. It needed surgery too. We put milk in a small container, one I could work with. I left the caps off things like a spray can of bathroom cleaner. Heck, I can clean a counter with one hand, but not if I could not yank the cap off the "Scrubbing Bubbles." I learned how to eat with my left hand, button my jeans and my shirts with one hand, and put on makeup with my left hand. I got so good at using my left hand/arm, when the sling came off my right, I continued to eat with my left at first. That was OK as the right arm couldn't even reach my mouth for a while...

John, I recall you had a long time shoulder recovery yourself and I'm sure you made modifications as to how you did things then. I recall an encouraging PM or two from you when I had my shoulder surgeries. Keep that in mind this time around and I'd bet you can get creative with tasks, so that you can do them yourself. Val's ideas for toting heavy items sounds like a good one.
Old 01-22-2013, 08:30 AM

Received 3,223 Likes on 1,865 Posts

Originally Posted by dlq04
Originally Posted by silvershadow' timestamp='1358836851' post='22282508
I consider myself enlightened but I have to say that getting my wife to carry the salt bag was a real hit to the ego, and sent me off on a bad day.
You can't take yourself too serious. Heck, I let my wife finish shoveling the snow yesterday because I had to meet the boys for lunch (and drinks). Didn't bother my ego a bit.

What's interesting about meeting these long time friends, once a month or so, is finding out how many 'bad' days we've each had since the last time. Honestly, I always feel like my life is great after hearing and sharing stories.
Dave, you are a gem.
Old 01-22-2013, 09:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dlq04
Originally Posted by silvershadow' timestamp='1358836851' post='22282508

^^ ...and Donna has a bad back! I'll bet you gave her a massage later.

I agree that having lunch/drinks, etc, with friends usually makes me feel much better as well. If I start to get too self-absorbed, I hook up with a friend, or ex co-worker, and before you know it I'm feeling pretty good about my life.

Physical limitations are very hard to deal with...especially for a guy. When you've been taken down to "ground zero" by an illness or surgery, it's a long, hard road back. Once you finally regain your health and fitness, you never take it for granted again. I recall, while lying in the hospital bed after my quadruple bypass surgery nearly nine years ago, the thing I wanted most was to take a hike or bike ride. The freedom...the sun on my back...the wind in my face...the smell of the dirt and leaves...the sound of the birds...the simple pleasures of life.
Old 01-22-2013, 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by Spokes Man
Physical limitations are very hard to deal with...especially for a guy. When you've been taken down to "ground zero" by an illness or surgery, it's a long, hard road back. Once you finally regain your health and fitness, you never take it for granted again. I recall, while lying in the hospital bed after my quadruple bypass surgery nearly nine years ago, the thing I wanted most was to take a hike or bike ride. The freedom...the sun on my back...the wind in my face...the smell of the dirt and leaves...the sound of the birds...the simple pleasures of life.
For sure. That's why you have to drive yourself to be the best you can be under the circumstances - one step at a time but forcing it all the way.

PS- Donna keeps in such good condition for horse back riding, she's in better shape than me. I would never let her do it if it were otherwise.
Old 01-22-2013, 05:35 PM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

My mom's memorial was on Saturday. She was very sick for a long time but still it is hard to let go. Her service was beautiful and I held up well. (Matt did not) I will miss her always.

Our condolences, Barbara. We are sorry for you loss. It is very hard to lose Mom.
Old 01-22-2013, 05:36 PM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by silvershadow
I try not to have bad days, but with the health issues last fall and my continuing recovery, I have a bad day every once in awhile. It is mainly centered around things I can't do. For example, we have a water softener that takes salt for regeneration. My wife buys 40 pound bags of salt. I used to carry two bags from the car to the softener. She bought one bag a few days ago. I went to take it out of the car and couldn't budge it.

I consider myself enlightened but I have to say that getting my wife to carry the salt bag was a real hit to the ego, and sent me off on a bad day. Everyone says that they are amazed at the progress I am making, but I get frustrated with things like the above example. Then I have crises of confidence - what if I don't get better, why is it taking so long for me to walk again, how long is it going to take before I have a semblance of my normal life before this happened and how much work is it going to take. These are the kinds of thoughts that send me off to having a bad day.

I try and keep a sense of humor and a positive attitude about my plight, but sometimes I just can't.

Yeah, that's hard stuff John. Is physical therapy a solution?
Old 01-22-2013, 06:36 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 3,547 Likes on 1,917 Posts

(((HUG))) It's so hard when we lose a loved one.

Quick Reply: So you had a bad day