S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

So you had a bad day

Old 01-21-2013, 09:45 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 3,547 Likes on 1,917 Posts

John, I feel for you. You'll get there. You keep improving, right? You'll continue to get stronger.
Old 01-22-2013, 02:01 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 2,972 Likes on 1,758 Posts

The key is to make things manageable for you. My mother is not supposed to lift anything more than 10 pounds because of her back. So if she has groceries, for example, she breaks things up into more bags. It can be frustrating, I'm sure, but it makes doing things possible where they might not otherwise be.
Old 01-22-2013, 02:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My mom's memorial was on Saturday. She was very sick for a long time but still it is hard to let go. Her service was beautiful and I held up well. (Matt did not) I will miss her always.
Old 01-22-2013, 02:16 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 825 Likes on 489 Posts

Originally Posted by silvershadow
I try not to have bad days, but with the health issues last fall and my continuing recovery, I have a bad day every once in awhile. It is mainly centered around things I can't do. For example, we have a water softener that takes salt for regeneration. My wife buys 40 pound bags of salt. I used to carry two bags from the car to the softener. She bought one bag a few days ago. I went to take it out of the car and couldn't budge it.

I consider myself enlightened but I have to say that getting my wife to carry the salt bag was a real hit to the ego, and sent me off on a bad day. Everyone says that they are amazed at the progress I am making, but I get frustrated with things like the above example. Then I have crises of confidence - what if I don't get better, why is it taking so long for me to walk again, how long is it going to take before I have a semblance of my normal life before this happened and how much work is it going to take. These are the kinds of thoughts that send me off to having a bad day.

I try and keep a sense of humor and a positive attitude about my plight, but sometimes I just can't.
You will be surprised at how much you CAN do after you get more back to normal. I've learned to use tools more (like putting big bags of mulch or birdseed or whatever in a wheelbarrow to get them out of the car). I've also learned to carry groceries, etc. differently. I've also learned that rest periods are vital. I still get frustrated with myself, but am quite grateful at how far I have come. I just always was so independent that needing help from others is difficult to swallow. I want things done NOW and having to wait makes me have a bad day.
Old 01-22-2013, 02:26 AM
Member (Premium)

Very sorry about your mother, Barbara. My dad's death was hard, but he lived a long and good life and I wasn't too overcome with grief for him. I'm going to have a lot more trouble when my mother dies. There is something about mothers.
Old 01-22-2013, 02:33 AM
Member (Premium)

Yesterday could have been bad - our whole building lost water early afternoon. Turns out there was a flood in the pumping room and it shorted out the pumps. I have to say the building engineers really stepped up and later in the day restored both cold, then hot water. Looking like a bad day for anyone traveling I-270 into DC. Serious accident has shut down the road and there are headlights for *miles*. I have a feeling commuters around here have bad days quite often.
Old 01-22-2013, 03:34 AM

Received 3,223 Likes on 1,865 Posts

Originally Posted by Kyras
John, I feel for you. You'll get there. You keep improving, right? You'll continue to get stronger.
Me too, John. Hang in there. Being dependent on others is a tough pill to swallow. You'll get there.
Old 01-22-2013, 03:35 AM

Received 3,223 Likes on 1,865 Posts

Originally Posted by plantpixie

My mom's memorial was on Saturday. She was very sick for a long time but still it is hard to let go. Her service was beautiful and I held up well. (Matt did not) I will miss her always.
Barbara, our sympathies to you and Matt on the loss of your Mom.
Old 01-22-2013, 03:51 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 825 Likes on 489 Posts

Looks like we posted at the same time and I missed your post earlier, Barb. So very sorry to hear of your loss.
Old 01-22-2013, 04:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Our condolences to you and Matt.

Quick Reply: So you had a bad day