S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

So you had a bad day

Old 01-21-2013, 09:31 AM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

Great comments and thanks everyone for sharing some of your own hard times. They say misery loves company, but I think it is just good to share the common experience of a bad day with others. It reminds me that I am just human.

Patty, no one can hurt you more than a friend or family member. I can sympathize with you on your bad experience and I'm glad you now feel better about yourself for it.

Val, thanks for sharing about your own home life and what is really important for you.

JayC07, I don't know you but it sounds like you needed a place to unload today. I hope the boss doesn't make your day worse.

Lainey, thanks for your thoughts. I did go on the treadmill yesterday and it really did help.
Old 01-21-2013, 09:37 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 2,972 Likes on 1,758 Posts

Glad you developed a good attitude, Patty. One of the major downsides of Facebook and social media. Some really nasty people out there who would never do/say those things in person, but on the Internet they get away with awful stuff. They are cowards.

Jay, I assume you don't have options as far as other employment in your area? How about a human resources department? It does help if you have work issues to get others who do, too and go as a group to the boss or HR to present the problem. It is also good to recommend one or more solutions (in a positive way). You don't want to come across as not a team player, so the group approach is best. Good luck.
Old 01-21-2013, 10:35 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 825 Likes on 489 Posts

Amen to the downside of social media! I was on FB regularly for a while and had some problems with nastiness as well because I stupidly didn't post happy birthday to someone! I didn't even realize it was the persons bd and about the same time became concerned about FB's security. Anyway, after a while I deleted my FB and then got emails from the grandkids complaining about that. So I reinstated the account, but I told the grandkids they can message me on FB and I'll check in from time to time but that's it. Otherwise, they can call me, text me or email me. I seldom bother to look at it, but on occasion take a look to see what the grandkids are up to. I love my life, love my gardens, love our beach walks or walks in the 'hood (we had a heavenly one today) and enjoy my time here. Thanks for the dump thread, LB. I hope I won't be having bad days any time soon.
Old 01-21-2013, 11:01 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There's absolutely nothing wrong with berating yourself for an oversight. (It's not so good to do it to a subordinate.) ;-) I regularly call myself names that would get a supervisor fired. But after a while, you have to recognize that you've learned all you are going to learn from reflecting on the oversight; then it's time to move on.

I forget the names involved, but there's an old story about a reporter asking a baseball player about the difference between two managers. The reply was, "About 6 innings." When pressed for an explanation, the player said, "Manager A was usually thinking about what he should have done 3 innings ago. Manager B was usually thinking about what he should do three innings from now."
Old 01-21-2013, 11:16 AM

Its really hard to find a decent job in my area that will pay my hrly rate and I don't want to " step backwards" in life. I have put in some applications tho to a railroad company and also an electric company... our job supplies electric to the electric company so i figured i would have a really good chance of getting in there... i guess i just have to wait and see what happens :/ in the meantime ill have to bite my tongue and continue to do my job.

That group idea sounds good but i know that no 1 would be willing to do it with me because half the people here just don't care about it as much as I do.

If everyone did what there supposed to then it wouldn't be as bad but everything at my job goes un noticed so people get away with anything. I've never had a job like this and the only reason I'm here is because of the money. It'd be nice if we had real mechanics to that knew how to fix equipment here to . This job really needs a make over pronto. Their contract is almost up and hopefully another company comes in and can fix this problem.
Old 01-21-2013, 12:35 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 2,972 Likes on 1,758 Posts

Yeah, that's understandable. Well, I hope things work out one way or another.
Old 01-21-2013, 01:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well let's see. In the last couple of weeks I realized I was two days late for car tag renewals even though we didn't receive the notices ($70 in penalties), had a tooth extraction and prep for another implant, and now the S is in the shop for what I hope is just a new starter. Pretty typical really.

I try to not worry about things I can't control and just roll with the punches on everything else. Barb and I have it better than I ever thought we would and I'm always thankful for and mindful of that.

Hope you get past whatever it is soon LB.
Old 01-21-2013, 06:25 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 4,040 Likes on 2,684 Posts

we all have a few bad days here and there but perhaps this will help keep it in perspective.

I was chatting with my boss ( whom I like a lot ) on Tuesday. I walked to my office 20 feet away and moments later heard him talking with another peer.
Then I hear the peer giving directions to my boss' office followed quickly with arrival of a security guard and EMT with stretcher.

My boss was in the middle of a stroke. Fortunately he's now OK and suffered minimal damage. Obviously it could have been worse, a lot worse.

But so how bad is your day, really?
Old 01-21-2013, 06:38 PM

Boltonblue,

That does put my problems in perspective.
Old 01-21-2013, 09:40 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I try not to have bad days, but with the health issues last fall and my continuing recovery, I have a bad day every once in awhile. It is mainly centered around things I can't do. For example, we have a water softener that takes salt for regeneration. My wife buys 40 pound bags of salt. I used to carry two bags from the car to the softener. She bought one bag a few days ago. I went to take it out of the car and couldn't budge it.

I consider myself enlightened but I have to say that getting my wife to carry the salt bag was a real hit to the ego, and sent me off on a bad day. Everyone says that they are amazed at the progress I am making, but I get frustrated with things like the above example. Then I have crises of confidence - what if I don't get better, why is it taking so long for me to walk again, how long is it going to take before I have a semblance of my normal life before this happened and how much work is it going to take. These are the kinds of thoughts that send me off to having a bad day.

I try and keep a sense of humor and a positive attitude about my plight, but sometimes I just can't.

Quick Reply: So you had a bad day