S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

So you had a bad day

Old 04-12-2013, 08:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dave,

This is probably the best possible outcome, given my dissatisfaction. For the last three or four years, I've just been waiting for one of us to end the relationship. I agonized over the decision when they severed anyone who requested it during the 2010 downsizing. However, I just wasn't financially secure enough at that time. Now I am.

I am actually glad they severed me; it spares me the hassle of learning a new role, in a radically new organizational structure where nobody else knows their role. With severance pay and accrued vacation, I'm paid through the end of the year. I can't imagine that I'd have continued to work in their new structure for longer than that, if I lasted that long.

And I haven't felt like it was a career for the last 4 or 5 years, so the manner in which it ends doesn't matter much to me. I hope I didn't give the wrong impression in my original post: I preferred to be severed rather than continue. But upper management was adament that there would be no volunteers, decisions would be based solely on what was best for the company. I guess I just got lucky. (Nod, nod; wink, wink). The company is treating those of us who lost our jobs quite well, all things considered. I have a meeting this afternoon with an outside company they hired to help us with our job searches or transition to retirement. Yesterday, I passed up a meeting with counselors to help us deal with the emotional trauma of job loss. Given where I am at in my life, I'm pretty sure I can handle that part on my own. They're carrying us on the health/vision/dental insurance plans at the employee rate for 18 months. So there's not much more the company could do.

I suppose that some of the severed employees were upset that they removed all access to the systems (we still have email) but they have strict requirements around immediately removing access to critical Transmission and Generation systems when someone is severed. The regulatory body wants to ensure that a disgruntled former employee doesn't black out the Eastern half of the US. I suspect it was just safer to remove all access for everyone than to chance missing one critical application and getting fined.

So all is well with me. I probably sounded a bit more negative than I should have in the original post.
Old 04-12-2013, 09:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Two times this week my s2k's been hit. 1st was a hit and run, 2nd (yesterday,) contacted me and admitted fault. I need a garage
Old 04-12-2013, 04:20 PM

Received 57 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by dodgrr
Two times this week my s2k's been hit. 1st was a hit and run, 2nd (yesterday,) contacted me and admitted fault. I need a garage
You appear to have taken this very calmly, I would be outraged.
Old 04-13-2013, 05:06 AM

Received 5,801 Likes on 3,420 Posts

Originally Posted by RedY2KS2k
So all is well with me.
Ed, it sounds like it wasn't such a bad day after all. After almost an entire career of working in downsizing and reorg's, I can appreciate how it really gets old. I know I never missed it at all after I left.
Old 04-14-2013, 08:55 PM

Received 5,801 Likes on 3,420 Posts

Originally Posted by dlq04
Yesterday was a good day - I installed a modern electronic distributor and competition plug wires in the MG. Fired it up. It worked!

Today I wanted to finish the job and set the timing. To do that you need to have the engine fully warmed up. Good, the weather was warm enough for a short top down drive - first of the year. I noticed the exhaust note was really different but hey that's why I need to set the timing - right.

Pull into the garage. Engine nice and warm. Set the timing. Time for a test drive. Backing down the driveway I notice a trail. Ops, that is not good. I quickly pull back up the drive and shut it off. Looking into the garage. Oh $hit, there's four quarts of oil on the floor. Spent the next couple hours trying to clean up the driveway since everyone walks across it (wife, dogs, grandkids, etc.) and then I tackle the garage floor. I get to test out how well a wet vac sucks up oil!

I have not located the cause as yet. It could be just the oil filter wasn't installed properly (I'm hoping); or something a lot worse like a cracked block. I did not hear anything go bang. And don't see any holes. But, if it's the filter, how come there's no tracks coming home after the 3 or 4 mile warm up drive. It all appears to have started during idling while I was setting the timing as I only see one track out and one track back. Bottom line, it was a bad day - that may get worse.
Update: An oil gallery plug blew out. I have never heard of that ever happening before. This particular plug was manufactured by a local machine shop for me when I did an engine rebuild a few years back. I order plugs from an aftermarket supplier but this was one that was not available. It worked fine for 9,000 miles and then for some reason let go. Very odd. I think I can replace it without completely pulling the engine but I will have to host the engine in the car and remove an engine mount to create enough space to hammer in a replacement plug.
Old 04-14-2013, 11:51 PM
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Received 625 Likes on 377 Posts

Good show!
Old 04-15-2013, 05:10 AM

Received 3,223 Likes on 1,865 Posts

Good news, Dave. Still sounds like a project!
Old 04-15-2013, 05:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quite a few of our attorneys are leaving the firm to start their own. The founders and top brass all retired last month and this place looks like a ghost town. Should I be worried? Should I start sending out resumes? Should I wait for the big shoe to drop? I need a few more years of paychecks under my belt. This is not a happy place to be right now. Morale is very low and people are scared, making for many bad days here lately.
Old 04-15-2013, 06:10 AM

Received 330 Likes on 279 Posts

Originally Posted by valentine
Originally Posted by S1997' timestamp='1365690233' post='22467014
Yeah, I'm glad it works out. Once you get used to the idea, retirement can be great!

Levi
Old 04-15-2013, 06:27 AM

Received 3,223 Likes on 1,865 Posts

Originally Posted by Grannyrod
Quite a few of our attorneys are leaving the firm to start their own. The founders and top brass all retired last month and this place looks like a ghost town. Should I be worried? Should I start sending out resumes? Should I wait for the big shoe to drop? I need a few more years of paychecks under my belt. This is not a happy place to be right now. Morale is very low and people are scared, making for many bad days here lately.
I'd hang on, unless something out there speaks to you. Maybe you'll get close enough like "red" that if you are let go, the timing will be OK. OR maybe you'll get an offer you can't refuse from one of those heading out of dodge.

My boss is at an age where he may decide to hang a "for sale" sign on the door before I can even think of quitting. However, as much as I may whine about my job, there are too many pluses here to go out and start over anywhere else, unless I have to. God, I might have to work until 5:00 PM at a different job. That would interfere with my "Y" time. Right now I'm staying on this train and waiting to see what comes next in life.

Quick Reply: So you had a bad day