S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

So you had a bad day

Old 01-21-2013, 06:04 AM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts
Default So you had a bad day

We've all had bad days. And sometimes it is nice to be able to talk about it. But sometimes we feel like we are being too needy or self centered if we start a thread about our problems, especially when we see friends and family suffering with real life changing problems. So I thought I'd start a generic "bad day" thread where we can just unload, get some support from our friends and who knows, maybe even some advice. Your problem doesn't have to be big or life changing. Just enough to get you mad, sad, depressed or concerned.

I had a bad week last week and then the Patriots lost in a miserable performance against the Ravens last night. I can't really talk about the first thing. I just ran into a problem and I can't help but feel I could have done more to address it in advance. Now I'm having lots of sleepless nights, haunted by the old demon Hindsight. I don't know about you, but i have a VERY hard time letting go of bad things that happen in my life. Even if they are not big life changing events, they can haunt me for months and even years.

The Patriots having the bad game on top of it all just has me feeling down. So yeah, I had a bad day. I hope yours was a lot better, but if it wasn't, feel free to unload.
Old 01-21-2013, 06:16 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 825 Likes on 489 Posts

I find myself feeling down at times but usually can snap out of it quickly. Life can seem quite unfair at times, but I suspect everyone has a lot of "down" days.
Old 01-21-2013, 06:39 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 2,972 Likes on 1,758 Posts

I don't have a lot of bad days, not having as many responsibilities as many of you (for example, kids, and since early Jan, work). I also am an optimist. I probably spend more time worrying about the +1 and HIS bad days than mine. I can't say too much about his, either, just that some are work related and some are personal. And he, like men in general, IMO, keeps stuff to himself. I don't think men really want advice. They like to go off into the cave and figure it out alone, like a math problem. Am I wrong?? As a result, I don't ask too many questions about certain subjects. I'm not overly happy about it, since I'm usually giving advice whether asked for or not. Some of you may know this. One thing I notice the +1 does when he's having a bad day is exercise - he runs or works out. His other outlet is painting. He finds it very relaxing and it takes his mind off of the bad stuff for awhile. At least one of his problems is not going away anytime soon, so he needs to keep up the diversions. So I would say have something to do that takes your mind elsewhere.

Any concerns I have these days revolve around my mother's health, which fortunately is not too bad right now. It is interesting that you have opened this topic, LB, since I think you come across as fairly problem free. You are one of the funniest people I know. Anyhoo, it's nice that you are posting about this, since I think Vintage members are like family (in a good way).
Old 01-21-2013, 06:54 AM
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Received 625 Likes on 377 Posts

Funny how the fav sports team can affect your day either positively or negatively. + 1 Chris and son Nick go to every Texans home game. When the Txns were looking to be first seed, they were looking forward to home field playoffs. And then the mighty crashed and burned, so I was dealing with some depressed fans for a lpng while. Their interest in the games yesterday was mediocre at best.

I'll avoid the usual cliches, Bill, but just fret and worry mostly about the things you can change, and hang in there!
Old 01-21-2013, 06:58 AM

Thankd Val and Deb. I know I'll get over it. For the most part, I already have. But I still dwell on the woulda, coulda, shoulda stuff.
Old 01-21-2013, 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by S1997
Funny how the fav sports team can affect your day either positively or negatively. + 1 Chris and son Nick go to every Texans home game. When the Txns were looking to be first seed, they were looking forward to home field playoffs. And then the mighty crashed and burned, so I was dealing with some depressed fans for a lpng while. Their interest in the games yesterday was mediocre at best.

I'll avoid the usual cliches, Bill, but just fret and worry mostly about the things you can change, and hang in there!

Right you are Jim. I have to look forward.
Old 01-21-2013, 07:07 AM

Received 3,223 Likes on 1,865 Posts

Sorry you have had a bad week, Bill. We have the usual family concerns, Mom issues, those aren't improving. I'm always thinking about my son, his family, the grandchildren and concerned, at times, about what is in store for them. There is only so much I can fix, though, like Bill, sometimes you dwell when the road of life has an unexpected curve. I try to keep this in mind "Worry is the thief of joy." Don't remember where I heard it, but it's true.

I second Vito's way of dealing with stress. Exercise is a good thing, IF you can find something you do enjoy. Since I took up Zumba, and joined the Y for more Zumba I really do find myself in a better overall mood, an unexpected benefit.

I'm having a good day today. I took the day off, got the stuff done around the house that I wanted to do. Now I'm going to shower up and head out for a bit. I'm sure I'll be back in this thread another day, when I'm having a day.
Old 01-21-2013, 07:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gosh where do I start...

First off I work in a garbage burning powerplant. 5 days on 2 days off 2 days on and 5 days off. When im off for the 2 and 5 DAYS im on call, after those 5 days off I repeat that schedule but then work nights.. when off on nights im not on call so thats the only good part...and oh ya I work 12 hr shifts from 7-7.

I just worked my 5 days and I was supposed to have off today and tomorrow but noooo someone had to bang into work and now I have to work with his supervisor who just loves to give out work whereas my crew is a bit more laid back, as long as your normal work gets done they dont care what I do.

Our plant " has no money" according to out plant manager but its crazy to me because we are located ALL over the world and its a multi billion dollar company...

Everything in this plant is all half assed work and no 1 cares about anything... as long as the plant is running then thats all that matters to these people. We get no credit for doing any extra work thats not assigned to you.

Our plant has a huge turbine in it that makes electricity from steam. That turbine has a backup power supply... and thats supply is plugged into a cheap ass $10 power strip.. this turbine is worth well over $1 mil.

Another problem here is that 1 crew is very favored by the main boss here, which is bullshit because they do the bare minimal and hangout all night and smoke their cigs ans drink coffee... no 1 says anything because nothing can be done about it and it pisses me the hell off everytime something isnt done in my area when im not there.. basically they dont so their job.

Besides my shit job , my grandma has had a cadaver bone put in her back 2 months ago and now her back is hurting again and the dr said theres nothing more they can do besides give her pain meds.... My grandparents are very religious and my grandfather owns a landscaping business and takes care of our local church helping with decorations... lawn care ...anything that my grandpa can do to make it a nice warming place, he does it. Very very nice people.

Now besides that I was told last night my best friend and his girl lost their baby . Im so stressed out over all this and it stresses me out so much.

Mind you, i get excellent pay at my job ( started here last year and I make enough to be able to afford my S.. Im done venting now and i feel a little better after saying all this but nothing is going to change for the best ... everyone at my job refers to my job as a shithole and its very very depressing to work with people who dgaf.

Edit: right after posting this our turbine came offline due to poor maintenance... big boss on his way now..here comes a shit storm.
Old 01-21-2013, 09:03 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 825 Likes on 489 Posts

^^ after reading this, my bad days aren't quite as bad. Seriously, the things that bother me and get me down are things over which I have no control, such as health issues and of course the kids' problems. My +1 is ever the optimist and keeps me more upbeat. I generally get down about the things I'd like to do but cannot due to the nasty back issue and I stress over +1's health situation. We are very very close and have never been socially outgoing and like very much the way we live. I'm not interested in joining clubs, etc. and prefer +1's company to that of anyone else. The friendships I've made here are probably some of the closest friendships I have (thank you, MsP!) and I am not particularly close to my siblings even though I care for them deeply. My mom was my sounding board and since her death I really miss our chats. Jim wakes up every morning with a smile no matter what so his happiness is something I treasure. Every day we have together is a gift and we try very hard to treat it as such.
Old 01-21-2013, 09:08 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 3,547 Likes on 1,917 Posts

Great thread, Bill.

I find myself having good days most of the time. A couple of weeks ago, I had a bad day, when someone who I thought was my good friend, did something that hurt me deeply. I decided the person is not the friend I thought I had and am moving on and away from the person.

A few months ago, I was very angry, sad and depressed by a personal attack from another person I don't even know, on facebook. It turned out to be a great help to me, in the end. I thought about the mean things the person said about me, and thought about who I thought I was. It really made me realize, the person was just a hater, and I was, and am, someone I strive to be. It made me realize my life is in a great place and I like it and I like me. The hater went away and I'm still here.

Like, Deb and Lainey said, exercise does wonders for a bad mood. I use it regularly.

Quick Reply: So you had a bad day