S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

SO I get this letter

Old 10-31-2008, 03:34 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 3,947 Likes on 2,647 Posts
Default SO I get this letter

It seems the State of Massachusetts has a difference of opinion in our tax filing 3 years ago.
Going back in it would appear that turbotax made a SUBSTANTIAL error ( like 25%) importing the state data from the federal form.

Haven't quite figured out how they did that yet but ouch.

Now we'll see how good they are at coughing up those penalties.
Old 10-31-2008, 03:59 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 1,490 Likes on 1,159 Posts

You can never trust the software. You should always develop an expectation of what your taxes, both federal and state, should be and compare that expectation to the outcome. You don't need to calculate the return by hand, but you should come up with a ballpark figure. If it is off by 25% you'd know it.

I do that with everyone of my clients. I use professional tax software, and even there I've found bugs and errors over the years, especially with state returns. Turbo is a very good program, but even it has problems sometimes.

Intuit (the makers of TurboTax) claim that they will stand behind the software, but don't be too surprised if they try to blame you. Keep us posted, I'm curious to hear how you resolve this.

Unfortunately, you signed the return and ultimately you are responsible for the correct filing. If push comes to shove, and Intuit refuses to pay, you will have to come up with the penalty.

If all else fails, you might want to write to the state asking for an exception to the penalty based on the fact that it was given rise to by the underpayment caused by an error in TurboTax which you were unaware of. Make the case that if Turbo had calculated properly you would have paid the correct amount of taxes. Sometimes this kind of appeal works.
Old 10-31-2008, 04:51 AM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by ralper,Oct 31 2008, 06:59 AM
You can never trust the software. You should always develop an expectation of what your taxes, both federal and state, should be and compare that expectation to the outcome. You don't need to calculate the return by hand, but you should come up with a ballpark figure. If it is off by 25% you'd know it.

I do that with everyone of my clients. I use professional tax software, and even there I've found bugs and errors over the years, especially with state returns. Turbo is a very good program, but even it has problems sometimes.

Intuit (the makers of TurboTax) claim that they will stand behind the software, but don't be too surprised if they try to blame you. Keep us posted, I'm curious to hear how you resolve this.

Unfortunately, you signed the return and ultimately you are responsible for the correct filing. If push comes to shove, and Intuit refuses to pay, you will have to come up with the penalty.

If all else fails, you might want to write to the state asking for an exception to the penalty based on the fact that it was given rise to by the underpayment caused by an error in TurboTax which you were unaware of. Make the case that if Turbo had calculated properly you would have paid the correct amount of taxes. Sometimes this kind of appeal works.
Professional tax preparers FTW!
Old 10-31-2008, 05:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used Turbo for two couple years. Wound up with a mjor error inthe fed taxes and had to pay more after filing. I went back to the guy I had been using for many years, even though it costs more and I have to drive back to the Worcester area. It took me almost as long to use Turbo as it did to drive to the accountant and come back home.
Old 10-31-2008, 05:49 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Legal Bill,Oct 31 2008, 08:51 AM
Old 10-31-2008, 07:29 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 3,947 Likes on 2,647 Posts

funny thing is we were using preparer up until 05.
the +1 decided it was costing too much....

rob
My income has been extremely erratic over the last few years both good and bad, so the expectation game got kinda hard to play.
Old 10-31-2008, 09:48 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Originally Posted by Legal Bill,Oct 31 2008, 07:51 AM
I hope you mean "For the Win" of something like that.

Us CPAs take tax matters very seriously.
Old 11-01-2008, 03:07 PM

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

I too use a CPA, he's worth every penny i pay him.
Old 11-01-2008, 03:13 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Originally Posted by Filthy Beast,Nov 1 2008, 06:07 PM
I too use a CPA, he's worth every penny i pay him.
Old 11-02-2008, 03:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love Texas. No income tax. Takes me about 15 minutes to complete the Federal return as I stay out of the market.

Quick Reply: SO I get this letter