S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners
View Poll Results: When a cashier gives me too much change I...
Immediately return the excess amount the very moment I notice it.
52.94%
Put the change in my pocket.
0%
I go through a momentary internal debate, but then return the change.
17.65%
I go through a momentary internal debate but keep the change.
0%
I go through a momentary internal debate and the results vary depending on the circumstances.
5.88%
It depends on when I notice I got too much change. If I'm heading to home, it's too late.
23.53%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

So how honest are you?

Old 10-13-2015, 03:32 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 187 Likes on 95 Posts

I don't use cash and when I do I don't ever verify the change given back. I would returned the overage if known. The poor guy/girl will probably have to pay back the shortage to the store.
Old 10-13-2015, 03:39 PM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I always count the change and would immediately return any excess. Got better things to do with my time than screw somebody out of a few bucks.
Old 10-13-2015, 03:48 PM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

I just give it back because it is the right thing to do. But I admit that I almost always have a brief, internal debate.
Old 10-13-2015, 06:52 PM

Received 517 Likes on 306 Posts

I guess it depends on how much you value your reputation? As for me, integrity is "Priceless".
Old 10-14-2015, 06:18 AM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

I know folks who would proudly keep the extra change and even brag about it. I once heard an elderly person tell me "it is my job to make sure I get back what I'm owed. It is their job to make sure they get what I owe. I'm not supposed to do their job."
Old 10-14-2015, 07:00 AM

Received 5,797 Likes on 3,416 Posts

Bill, I think we all rationalize our behavior to what suits us. Like others have said, 9 times out of 10 I would return it as I wouldn't want to have the cashier or waitress coming up short but there are a couple stores that have screwed over me big time. I'd have no problem screwing over them. Normally I would never use them but at times I have been forced to.
Old 10-14-2015, 09:53 AM

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

I found $60 blowing around in the street outside the bank near our place in Maine a few weeks ago. It had clearly dropped out of someone's posession after visiting the ATM (or possibly the inside of the bank) and driving off. Another person was walking by in front of us and had found $20. I called to her, told her what I was going to do, and she smiled and said she'd keep it. There was a slight language barrier, and maybe she didn't understand what I did, but she was one of the Quebecois who often visit our campground up there.

Anyway, I went into the bank and gave it to one of the tellers as lost and found.

Now, I know, this probably sounds ridiculously stupid to most of you, but to me I put the "onus of honesty" on the bank personnel now rather than myself. What the teller did with the cash I have no idea, but to me this was a clear "lost and found" scenario.
Old 10-14-2015, 10:23 AM
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Received 625 Likes on 377 Posts

I like this story. ^^

My young son left his billfold (containing family BD presents totalling $120) on the seat at a restaurant in Telluride, CO a couple of years ago. We returned after a couple of hours to ask about it - not knowing where he had left it. The waiter went back to the office and brought back the wallet - with the money intact. That made, I think, a permanent impression on my son about doing the right thing!
Old 10-14-2015, 01:51 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 824 Likes on 489 Posts

^^ Loved both of these stories. Chazmo, I feel the same way you do. Somehow I just believe in the whole scheme of things honesty pays off in the long run.
Old 10-14-2015, 05:05 PM

Received 3,214 Likes on 1,862 Posts

Nice story, Chaz. If I found money at that type of location, not sure I'd have thought to do what you did. Overall, I "think" I would hand back money handed to me in error immediately.

In the past when a local company hadn't processed a charge for a repair to our dryer, I called right away. Another time Rick was buying garden soil. He wanted four bags and grabbed four bags, not realizing they only charged him for two as he had also purchased other items. He went back the next day to correct the situation and I think the clerk at the store was shocked.

Recently after a trip to the grocery store, I noticed the charge I made with my debit card had not processed on the account. I thought some poor cashier might have had an issue and been fretting being off about $65.00. I called the store explained the situation and the employee checked and didn't find anything. Then she told me they had a system wide issue the night in question; she could not find my purchase. I mentioned this to my son who works for the company. It was a real mess he said, and he told me he doubted I'd end up charged. Over a month later and still no charge on the debit chard. I thought of calling the corporate office to give the the opportunity to charge me the $, but I haven't.....

Quick Reply: So how honest are you?