S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Snow

Old 09-18-2006, 07:26 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 1,494 Likes on 1,161 Posts
Default Snow

Last night I wrote about autumn and winter. Tonight I thought I'd really get everyone depressed by writing about snow.

I remember listening to the radio, as a kid, and hearing the weather forcast. There was always the hope that we'd get a tremendous snowstorm and the schools would have to close. But the schools in New York City almost never closed for snow days, and we cursed our bad luck as we'd hear the names of all the schools that were closed in New Jersey.

My mother, of course, would tell us about how spoiled we were to complain about the little storms we got. In her day, after all, she had to walk miles to school in snow up to her chin. It got to the point where we wondered if she ever went to school on nice days.

All kidding aside, winter is almost here, and with winter comes snow. Snow of course means that our S2000s stay in the garage. I know that there are a few brave souls who put Bilzzaks on their S2000s and drive all winter, but for most of us, snow means more miles on the daily driver.

Worse still, it means sitting in traffic. On snowy days my 45 minute drive home takes about 2 hours, and sometimes longer. And it means cold, wet feet. And it means shoveling the driveway and walk way. And it means being cold.

Aren't you glad winter is almost here?

Old 09-18-2006, 10:02 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ralper,Sep 18 2006, 08:26 PM
Tonight I thought I'd really get everyone depressed by writing about snow.
I love snow. It covers up the brush and loose rock and turns into a magic carpet that covers the mountains and lets you go anywhere just by kicking steps. And then it makes that tedious and painful "going back down" stuff fun, quick, and easy.

When I used to go hunting, it was always great to have a little bit of snow so you could really tell which tracks were fresh. And following a blood trail on the snow was a thrill.

If it weren't for snow, where I live (and in fact, most of the West) would be in perpetual drought 3-8 months of the year. The snow that falls in the mountains in the winter is what we drink in the summer.

And snowmobiles are a blast.
Old 09-18-2006, 10:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have wonderful memories of snow from my childhood. Growing up in Iowa, we would build snow forts that would last for months! We played in the snow all day! Children are fearless ... I still don't understand why none of us broke anything while hurtling down icy slopes in those metal flying saucers! Once someone built a small dip at the bottom of the fastest hill so you could flatten yourself in the saucer and do a complete flip in the air! And yes, I did land on my head more than a few times. (but what a rush!)
Old 09-19-2006, 03:17 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 469 Likes on 400 Posts

Rob,cheer up.!!!
Think of Santa.!!!
Old 09-19-2006, 03:41 AM

Received 3,215 Likes on 1,862 Posts

Snow is pretty...............for a while, and only from the inside looking out.
Old 09-19-2006, 03:41 AM

Received 1,058 Likes on 540 Posts

Snow?

What Snow Means To Me.

by fltsfshr

Somewhere the leaves are turning. Somewhere the snowbirds call.
Somewhere their souls are yearning, For warmth, white sands et all

Somewhere the sharks lie waiting on both the sea and lands
For Snowbirds driving Buicks, with wallets in their hands.

Somewhere it must be snowing. Somewhere it must be cold.
But not in sunny Florida, full of Snowbirds growing old.

Old 09-19-2006, 03:59 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 2,970 Likes on 1,756 Posts

^ I like snow in small doses. Once, when I was in high school in McLean, we had a really big snowstorm. The snow drifted like crazy and we could only get out one door of my parents house (of four). We missed nine days of school. Pretty amazing. Haven't seen anything like that since.
Old 09-19-2006, 04:31 AM

Received 3,215 Likes on 1,862 Posts

We had over 2 feet of snow with this storm. Snowplows piled up the snow on the side of the street.

This is not our house, it's one down the street from us. Took a while for folks to dig out.

This was a pretty day in the woods after our first snowfall last year. It was peaceful in the woods. I almost liked winter........for an hour or two that day.

Someone forgot to bring their bike home.
Old 09-19-2006, 05:17 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Snow is cold.

Snow is messy.

Snow breaks things like trees, power lines, etc.

Snow falls down the back of your neck.

Snow is only soft and fluffy for a very short time and then it ends up crusty like an old man.

Snow is hard to walk or drive in.

Snow is just ice, which is what you realize after it sits there a few days and packs down.

There oughta be a law!!!!!!!
Old 09-19-2006, 05:23 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love snow! Cool, crisp winter weather, yummy! Skiing, yay!

Shoveling, not so great. But hey, it's a workout

Here's our house after the snow:

Backyard:

Even the woodpile looks nice:

Quick Reply: Snow