S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Skiing 24-25

Old Yesterday | 06:20 PM
Member (Premium)
20 Year Member

Default Skiing 24-25

We have a ski area a little over 20 miles from the house. It is actually on of the busiest ski areas in the US.
How? Well they open at 9 AM and close at 9:30 PM.
so there is the morning skiers, the full day, the 12:-7:00 the school kids from 4-7 and the night skiers.
It's not great but it's not bad, They have a massive amount of snowmaking and they run the guns almost constantly when it is cold enough.
Weirdly the best conditions are when it has been cold and dry but the local area doesn't have snow in their yard.
The place can be all but empty with fantastic conditions. Just don't be going off piste into the bushes.

The bride and I decided to grab some BRONZE season passes,. I've done them before.
They are good on weekdays & weeknights.
They aren't any good on Sundays, Holidays, Christmas week & February school vacations.
Phrasing it differently, they aren't any good when it's too busy to ski anyway and you wouldn't want to be there.

I've done it before when I wasn't working but "out looking for a job" ( that's my story and I'm sticking to it)
Leave the house just before 8. show up at 8:30-ish, check in skis, go in the lodge and get changed while sipping a cappuccino.
Saunter out and get skis from check center, stretch a little on the way over to the lift 40 yards away.
On busier normal days you might have a half dozen groups in front of you, in two or three minutes you're on the lifts.
6 minutes to the top, cruise to the bottom, coast up to the lift, come to a stop just as the chair hits the back of your legs.
rinse wash repeat until mid day. depending on the crowds, continue or call it a day.
Go in, maybe grab some lunch if it isn't busy inside. get changed to street clothes, go home.
Maybe eating on the way, nothing is better than a dolsot bibimbap or a nice big bowl of pho when you're trying to warm up again.

Get home midafternoon. relax maybe shower or jacuzzi bath.
Get up the next day and do it again.
The following 2 users liked this post by boltonblue:
Kyras (Yesterday), Lainey (Today)
Old Yesterday | 08:04 PM
20 Year Member

OMG, I just realized you were talking about 8AM! I was with you up to that point. 8PM, that I could enjoy.
The following users liked this post:
Lainey (Today)
Old Today | 04:07 AM
Member (Premium)
20 Year Member

Last time I skied I was about 13 and got 14 stitches in my chin. That was enough for me. Enjoy it Jerry!

Old Today | 04:40 AM
20 Year Member

Back in the 70's, 80's did a lot of downhill skiing, mostly at Whiteface here in NY. Then there was a price increase so I took up cross country skiing and did a lot of that for about 20 years. I don't think I have put on any skiis in the last 20 years.
Levi
Old Today | 05:58 AM
20 Year Member

Have fun, Jerry. Just keep in mind we don't bounce, or bounce back like we used to!
Kyras (Today)
Old Today | 06:12 AM
Member (Premium)
20 Year Member

I was actually wondering what the over/under was going to be on an ER visit.
You guys let me down.
We haven't skied in probably 10 years maybe more.
I do have to dig through the old gear and make sure some of it will still stretch over a certain fat a$$.
The ski pants might be an issue getting around my waist.
Old Today | 07:50 AM
20 Year Member

Originally Posted by boltonblue
I was actually wondering what the over/under was going to be on an ER visit.
You guys let me down.
We haven't skied in probably 10 years maybe more.
I do have to dig through the old gear and make sure some of it will still stretch over a certain fat a$$.
The ski pants might be an issue getting around my waist.
We don't want to put a curse on you. A trip to the ER for you did cross my mind. Don't let that happen! Does Wachusett have a bunny slope for you to get back in skiing shape?
Old Today | 07:58 AM
10 Year Member

My ortho surgeon said give up skiing. Mobility as you age is more important than anything.
Old Today | 08:09 AM
Member (Premium)
20 Year Member

Originally Posted by Heyitsgary
Last time I skied I was about 13 and got 14 stitches in my chin. That was enough for me. Enjoy it Jerry!
The last time I skied I broke my leg with a spiral fracture. I had just turned 31 and my 1-1/2 year-old son was sad because I couldn't pick him up and walk with him. I thought about it once here in Colorado and then I remembered that I'm not in my twenties anymore. Sort of like roller-skating. I'd love to do it again but I'll save both for my dreams.
Old Today | 09:49 AM
Member (Premium)
20 Year Member

Waaah wa-wa Wachusett does indeed have a gentle slope.
and yes we will make a few runs down it to sort out how this sticks on my feet work again.

amusing story about that. Pre-kids etc. Barb and I skied. Work and kids created a 10 year hiatus.
We finally decided to pull out the old gear and go to Wachusett.
We took a few runs down the easier trails and then decided to take on a steeper trail.
It felt good but I had a hell of a time keeping my skis going where I wanted. It felt like my legs were rubber,
When we got to the bottom I told Barb that info and said let's take a break.
I clipped out of my binding and the sole of my boot stayed in the ski. I then clipped out of the other and the whole boot more or less fell apart.
I got to walk back to the car in only the liners of my boots. We later found out the boots had been recalled but had subsequently expired.
We just never knew. The plastic just didn't age well and would stress crack.
Thankfully I walked away without incurring a more interesting failure. I also hadn't spent a bunch of money on an expensive trip.

Kyras (Today)

Quick Reply: Skiing 24-25