S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

The Sixth Annual Tomcatt Run!

Old 06-24-2011, 07:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kgf3076
Originally Posted by doddg' timestamp='1308888907' post='20714470
4. By the way, why not spray?
If you get it on glass or paint, it's extremely difficult to remove.
1. First time, yes, but after that I was careful, and I'm not afraid to spray it on my rag to wipe around edges.
2. I find that after applying it, the back window will get some residue on it, after it has retracted into itself.
Old 06-24-2011, 09:52 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 3,541 Likes on 1,916 Posts

Most of the time I'll use a sponge to put the 303 on my top but a few times I've masked off the windshield and windows with newspaper and sprayed it on.
Old 06-24-2011, 10:13 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check out any quality marine dealer. We have used it to detail boat seats for years and it is a quality product.

Originally Posted by Looter
Hey Mark...No guessing to it !!! We had a wonderful time !!!!
..and yes I do buy local. I get it by the quart, @ LineX....just up the street from my house....
Originally Posted by SheDrivesIt' timestamp='1308919018' post='20715149
Denny, do you buy your 303 locally? They sell it at Holman Motors (the GMC/RV dealer) in Eastgate, you know.

Interesting. A week later and we are still posting in the Tomcatt thread. Guess we all had a good time and don't want it to end. A real tribute to Tom.
Old 06-24-2011, 03:25 PM

Received 521 Likes on 308 Posts

Originally Posted by kgf3076
If you get it on glass or paint, it's extremely difficult to remove.

I will second that! I have made THAT mistake! It is a (Rick's nick name(Lainey's +1) to get off of glass.
Old 06-24-2011, 03:52 PM

IMHO, RaggTopp Cleaner & Protectant is a much better product to use on S2000 tops than 303.

RaggTopp was recommended to me by an Auto Detail shop owner (who sold both products), and I've used it on both S2000's I've owned. The Cleaner keeps the top looking new and black, and the Protectant keeps it waterproof and easy to wipe off. Water beads up and runs off like a waxed surface, but it doesn't make the top shiny. The tops I've seen that use 303 get shiny spots where it compresses and fills in the texture of the vinyl when the top is down for extended periods of time.

The top on my '06 still looked new after 5 years and 44k miles. This included three trips from SoCal to Colorado thru desert sun and rain, and Colorado sleet and snow.

~Jerry
Old 06-24-2011, 07:45 PM

I just wanted to say thank you to Jonas and everyone who helped put this drive together. I had a good time, enjoyed seeing people from last year and meeting a few new people.

I cheated and went to the touch-less car wash near my house on the way home.

Cheers,
Ed
Old 06-24-2011, 08:49 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 3,541 Likes on 1,916 Posts

Originally Posted by LooseNut
I just wanted to say thank you to Jonas and everyone who helped put this drive together. I had a good time, enjoyed seeing people from last year and meeting a few new people.

I cheated and went to the touch-less car wash near my house on the way home.

Cheers,
Ed
Ed, I'm glad to have met you, if only briefly. Your kind soul is evident even in a short meeting.
Old 06-25-2011, 05:36 AM

Originally Posted by Spokes Man
IMHO, RaggTopp Cleaner & Protectant is a much better product to use on S2000 tops than 303.

RaggTopp was recommended to me by an Auto Detail shop owner (who sold both products), and I've used it on both S2000's I've owned. The Cleaner keeps the top looking new and black, and the Protectant keeps it waterproof and easy to wipe off. Water beads up and runs off like a waxed surface, but it doesn't make the top shiny. The tops I've seen that use 303 get shiny spots where it compresses and fills in the texture of the vinyl when the top is down for extended periods of time.

The top on my '06 still looked new after 5 years and 44k miles. This included three trips from SoCal to Colorado thru desert sun and rain, and Colorado sleet and snow.

~Jerry
1. I will use that next round, but I have 2 liters of the 303 (mistaken double order); I've heard good things about it.
2. Can you use the Raggtopp on everything else like the 303? Sometimes I spray it on my bald head just for a little extra allure!
3. Sorry for the dry humor, it's all I have left, ha!
Old 06-25-2011, 02:51 PM

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

I purchased the "kit" online. There is a cleaner and a sealer. They said it takes about 2 weeks to receive it.

Kit 2 for
Fabric Convertible Tops

http://www.303products.com/shop303/i...e-top-kits.cfm
Old 06-25-2011, 03:02 PM

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

Application Methodology:
 Use a soft horsehair brush to remove any loose surface dust, use a lint lifter to remove lint from the fabric surface. Be careful around the rear window to avoid scratching
 Mask the areas around the fabric top with masking tape (3M® Painters Easy Release Blue Tape) also cover the rear window to avoid over-spray
 Shake product for 30-60 seconds to ensure even mixing
 With all cleaning products, always test a small, indiscrete area first to ensure it won't discolour or stain the surface, and ensure that the pH of the product is suitable for the material.
 Apply fabric cleaner (303TM Fabric & Vinyl Convertible Top Cleaner) with a clean, damp applicator and leave to penetrate fabric for 15-60 minutes dependant upon stain.
 Appling two light coats are better than the application of one heavy coat: allow drying thoroughly between coats.
 Rinse off using a low-pressure water hose and a soft horsehair brush
 Dry with a waffle weave Microfiber towel using a blotting motion to dry excess moisture.
 Apply a fabric protector (303TM High Tech Fabric Guard) keeping about 6-8 inches above surface and using a back and forth movement spray lightly but do not soak.
 If time permits, two light coats are better than one medium coat. Allow to air dry thoroughly between coats. Allow fabric to dry thoroughly before using or storing.
 Remove all masking tape and any other materials
 Be sure to remove any accidental over-spray from paint or glass surfaces immediately with a damp Microfiber towel, or if necessary with a pre-wax cleaner.
 After treatment the top will bead water, when the beading diminishes, it's an indication that it's time for another treatment.

Maintenance- apply a UV protection (303TM Aerospace Protectant) by keeping about 6-8 inches above surface and using a back and forth movement spray lightly but do not soak fabric.

Do not use household cleaners, powered abrasives, steel wool or industrial cleaning products, dry-cleaning fluids, silicones (petroleum distillates) bleach or harsh detergents.

Quick Reply: The Sixth Annual Tomcatt Run!