S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

The Sixth Annual Tomcatt Run!

Old 06-11-2011, 05:41 PM

Received 135 Likes on 73 Posts

OK, here's the schedule of events for those who have never attended a Tomcatt:

Friday:
Arrive, hang out, swim in the pool (Anika loves this part), greet folks, etc..
The evening is on your own. Matt and Ken have taken it upon themselves to organize some dinner excursions (see the separate thread). These are not part of the meet per se - you are free to do whatever you like for dinner.

Saturday:
Breakfast is on your own. The hotel has a simple but decent breakfast buffet which will get you started for the day. Don't expect too much, but some scrambled eggs and sausage are likely, along with cereals, fruits, yogurt, breads & spreads.
We depart for the drive after breakfast, time TBD, but probably around 9:30-10:00am. The morning portion of the drive includes one stop at the Miner's Memorial (facilities available), and takes 1.5-2 hours.

We arrive around noon for lunch in Zanesville. This year we will be eating at Jack Havana's.

After lunch, we have about a 45 minute freeway run to the top of Rt 26. This tends to work out well to settle your food down a bit before we hit Rt. 26.

The first part of Rt. 26 takes about an hour, and we stop in Woodsfield for ice cream (if available and desired). From there, it's about 45 minutes back to Marietta, longer if we stop for photos at the covered bridge, which we generally do.

Dinner at the Marietta Brewing Company at 6pm sharp! If you're a beer fan, bring along a growler (if you don't know what that is, then you're not a beer fan) and fill it for the evening. We rarely stay there very long, just eat, have dessert, toast the wonderful weekend and each other, then head back to the hotel.

We've generally had a larger room set aside for us for the night where we can all hang out & party. We will have some munchies available, and everyone brings whatever they prefer to drink. We chat & tell stories until pretty late. This is the main socializing period for the event.

Sunday:
Breakfast, say Bye to friends, head home, and wait until Father's Day 2012.

A hose has been made available for us in the past for washing cars if desired - I will be calling Shelley on Monday to confirm this and also confirm our getting the conference room.

JonasM
Old 06-11-2011, 05:47 PM

Received 50 Likes on 47 Posts

Thanks Jonas.....See you and crew....Friday afternoon ,,,,,,
Old 06-11-2011, 05:49 PM

Cost information:

Each attendee is requested to contribute $5.00 towards the munchies that we will be providing on Saturday evening back at the hotel room. This price includes an event magnet, and covers your +1 also (if any).

The coolers that have been ordered are scheduled for production on Monday. I will have the final, exact price at that time.

Checks or cash are fine anytime on Friday.

JonasM
Old 06-11-2011, 05:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1. That's funny that we're going to Zanesville, that's one of my family stops as I'm coming into town Thursday evening.
2. Since I graduated from Zanesville HS, I would glad to take you on a tour to the gym to see if I still hold the records in the Marine test, especially in pull-ups, and set-ups, ha!
3. That will be funnier when you see me and see that was literally 100# ago!!! I didn't age well, ha!
Old 06-11-2011, 05:54 PM

1. Oh, I forgot, the comment about the hose, I don't remember exactly were the hotel is, it has been awile since I hung out in Marietta (since 85, with a few visits along the way), but I know that off the expessway I stopped at a car wash place coming into town that has a self-serve with the big brush I like to use to get off traveling grime so when your friends see your car, it looks great, I'll be stopping there so everyone will think I wash my car on a regular basis, ha!
Old 06-11-2011, 05:58 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by kgf3076
Originally Posted by s2kmiami69' timestamp='1307700793' post='20668480
[quote name='Ruined 2' timestamp='1307675484' post='20667867']
[quote name='s2kmiami69' timestamp='1307651609' post='20666793']
[quote name='SheDrivesIt' timestamp='1307560504' post='20662398']
No need to pay to be Vintage and there is no vote (good thing for me ). You only have to claim to be 40 or more years old to qualify. You can even become a "Pre-vint" if you are under 40 and promise not to be a punk. . If you are well over 40 then you are welcome to be a punk if that is your typical disposition .
pre-vint eh? i like the sound of that

I believe I have may had something to do with it when I requested attendance/acceptance at the '05 SF at the age of 35. May I have been the original "pre-vint"?
[/quote]
ill be 32 in 6 months...close enough?
[/quote]
Close enough to what?
[/quote]

Don't forget about the hazing process! I sure haven't! I'm still earning my pre-vint status. :-). It almost seems like I'll be earning it until I'm 40 if kgf and spt-s2k had their way! LOL
Old 06-11-2011, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by doddg
1. Oh, I forgot, the comment about the hose, I don't remember exactly were the hotel is, it has been awile since I hung out in Marietta (since 85, with a few visits along the way), but I know that off the expessway I stopped at a car wash place coming into town that has a self-serve with the big brush I like to use to get off traveling grime so when your friends see your car, it looks great, I'll be stopping there so everyone will think I wash my car on a regular basis, ha!
Hampton Inn, Marietta

JonasM
Old 06-11-2011, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by JonasM
The Sixth Annual Tomcatt Memorial Meet will take place the weekend of June 17-19, 2011. This event is open to all badged Vintage members, and known Pre-Vints. S2000 ownership is NOT a requirement.

This event is named in honor of our dear friend Tom Curda (AKA Tomcatt), who passed away May 24th, 2006. Rt. 26 was his all-time favorite driving roads. This year marks the 5th anniversary of his passing.

This meet is very special to many of us. It combines 2 of the best thing about S2000 ownership:

Friendship: Many of the friendships made on this forum have continued throughout life's twists and turns, and have transcended the actual ownership of the car. Everyone at the Tomcatt meet is a friend, whether old or new.

The Drive: The roads of southern Ohio are full of twisties and elevation changes; perfect for the S2000. You will enjoy driving through rural areas complete with rivers, forests, farms and covered bridges. Route 26, from Cambridge to Marietta, Ohio, previously one of Car & Driver's 10 best drives in the USA, comprises the main part of the run. For the past several years, we have also added Ohio Rt. 555 to our day’s drive. This is a spectacular rollercoaster of a road, much of it recently repaved. Our drive will take up most of the day on Saturday: 7 hours, 215 miles, 2 rest stops, a lunch break, and one stop for gas. If you like to challenge your car and yourself, and enjoy the sound of VTEC, then this is the drive for you! If you like to get your heart pumping when behind the wheel, then this drive will not disappoint. Expect to drive the way this car was meant to be driven!

For those who are looking for a more moderate drive, this year we will again have a Touring drive group.

Marietta, Ohio will be our home base. Arrive on Friday, drive on Saturday, party Saturday evening, head homeward on Sunday.

Hotel:

I have reserved a block of 20 rooms at the Hampton Inn in Marietta for Friday, June 17th & Saturday, June 18th. The phone number is 740-373-5353. When calling for your reservation, tell them you are with the TomCatt Honda Group). Room cost is $99 for standard doubles. The block of rooms will be held until May 17th, 2011. Contact: Shelley Atkins – Group Sales.

Please post your interest in this thread. A separate drive group thread will be started sometime in the next few weeks.

This post will be updated with additional information as the date approaches.

Participants:
==========================
JonasM +1 +1 (booked)
TomcattPlus1 + 1
kgf3076 + 1 (booked)
spt-s2k +1 (booked)
tomnsyl +1 (booked)
canberra (booked)
jukngene (booked)
poorshoesless + 1 (booked)
Tachus (booked)
Jumpy Guy (booked)
Jet sitter +1 (booked)
Driveaholic (booked)
Scooterboy +1 (booked)
FLA-Vyk +1 (booked)
HannibalACP82 +1 +1 (booked)
Kyras (booked)
s-cargo +1 (booked)
Looter +1 (booked)
SheDrivesIt +1 (booked)
Matt_in_VA +1 (booked)
tr6greg (booked)
goblues2k +1 (booked)
smohan123 (booked)
doddg (staying with friends)

Drive Groups
Touring
==================================================
canberra (leader) Virginija
poorshoesless Shelley
FLA-Vyk Sue
Jumpy Guy Fred
goblues2k Sue
Jet sitter Carol
tomnsyl Sylvia
HannibalACP82 Charlie
Tachus

Moderate
spt-s2k (leader) Carmen
jukngene
kgf3076
Scooterboy Patty
s-cargo Shari
Looter Sharon
SheDrivesIt Mary
Matt_in_VA Barb
tr6greg
Driveaholic
smohan123 Chandni
doddg
JonasM Anika
Old 06-11-2011, 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by doddg
Originally Posted by JonasM' timestamp='1303182765' post='20481268
The Sixth Annual Tomcatt Memorial Meet will take place the weekend of June 17-19, 2011. This event is open to all badged Vintage members, and known Pre-Vints. S2000 ownership is NOT a requirement.

This event is named in honor of our dear friend Tom Curda (AKA Tomcatt), who passed away May 24th, 2006. Rt. 26 was his all-time favorite driving roads. This year marks the 5th anniversary of his passing.

This meet is very special to many of us. It combines 2 of the best thing about S2000 ownership:

Friendship: Many of the friendships made on this forum have continued throughout life's twists and turns, and have transcended the actual ownership of the car. Everyone at the Tomcatt meet is a friend, whether old or new.

The Drive: The roads of southern Ohio are full of twisties and elevation changes; perfect for the S2000. You will enjoy driving through rural areas complete with rivers, forests, farms and covered bridges. Route 26, from Cambridge to Marietta, Ohio, previously one of Car & Driver's 10 best drives in the USA, comprises the main part of the run. For the past several years, we have also added Ohio Rt. 555 to our day’s drive. This is a spectacular rollercoaster of a road, much of it recently repaved. Our drive will take up most of the day on Saturday: 7 hours, 215 miles, 2 rest stops, a lunch break, and one stop for gas. If you like to challenge your car and yourself, and enjoy the sound of VTEC, then this is the drive for you! If you like to get your heart pumping when behind the wheel, then this drive will not disappoint. Expect to drive the way this car was meant to be driven!

For those who are looking for a more moderate drive, this year we will again have a Touring drive group.

Marietta, Ohio will be our home base. Arrive on Friday, drive on Saturday, party Saturday evening, head homeward on Sunday.

Hotel:

I have reserved a block of 20 rooms at the Hampton Inn in Marietta for Friday, June 17th & Saturday, June 18th. The phone number is 740-373-5353. When calling for your reservation, tell them you are with the TomCatt Honda Group). Room cost is $99 for standard doubles. The block of rooms will be held until May 17th, 2011. Contact: Shelley Atkins – Group Sales.

Please post your interest in this thread. A separate drive group thread will be started sometime in the next few weeks.

This post will be updated with additional information as the date approaches.

Participants:
==========================
JonasM +1 +1 (booked)
TomcattPlus1 + 1
kgf3076 + 1 (booked)
spt-s2k +1 (booked)
tomnsyl +1 (booked)
canberra (booked)
jukngene (booked)
poorshoesless + 1 (booked)
Tachus (booked)
Jumpy Guy (booked)
Jet sitter +1 (booked)
Driveaholic (booked)
Scooterboy +1 (booked)
FLA-Vyk +1 (booked)
HannibalACP82 +1 +1 (booked)
Kyras (booked)
s-cargo +1 (booked)
Looter +1 (booked)
SheDrivesIt +1 (booked)
Matt_in_VA +1 (booked)
tr6greg (booked)
goblues2k +1 (booked)
smohan123 (booked)
doddg (staying with friends)

Drive Groups
Touring
canberra (leader) Virginija
poorshoesless Shelley
FLA-Vyk Sue
Jumpy Guy Fred
goblues2k Sue
Jet sitter Carol
tomnsyl Sylvia
HannibalACP82 Charlie
Tachus

Moderate
spt-s2k (leader) Carmen
jukngene
kgf3076
Scooterboy Patty
s-cargo Shari
Looter Sharon
SheDrivesIt Mary
Matt_in_VA Barb
tr6greg
Driveaholic
smohan123 Chandni
doddg
JonasM Anika
1. I got a kick out of seeing "doddg staying with friends" b/c I'm staying with my "foster brother" (family that took me in when I was 17 and I wouldn't leave,ha!), and he was a student of mine when I started teaching from the 6th grade through graduation along with his wife.
2. Oh, guess I didn't tell you I was using trip driving as a side bar to a family reunion and get together with some old students and any parents that are still alive, ha!
Old 06-11-2011, 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by JonasM
Originally Posted by doddg' timestamp='1307843697' post='20673347
Hampton Inn, Marietta

JonasM
1. Man, that's is practically next door to where I'm talking about (which might be 1/2 mile actually), of course, it could be different since my memory of the place is suspect b/c of the improvement in the area in 36 years since I lived there, then there is the issue of my deteriorating brain synapsis, ha!

Quick Reply: The Sixth Annual Tomcatt Run!