S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Show us Your Pet II

Old 10-11-2020, 08:43 PM

Received 3,771 Likes on 2,661 Posts

Originally Posted by jukngene
This is what happens when Amazon delivers your Scottish Terrier’s dog food and leaves it on the porch for 15 minutes before you can bring it inside:

Was that done by your Terrier or a wild animal ?
Old 10-12-2020, 03:30 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 3,947 Likes on 2,647 Posts

Titan finally got to meet a cat.
Our neighbors lack cat wandered through the yard.
Dummy stood there barking at it from 40 ft away, of course cat froze and did teh traditional halloween black cat pose.
I wandered over to pick it up in order to make a better introduction. Titan followed me. When we were 3 or 4 feet away the cat unleashed all of it's 4 pond furry on Titan.
It then ran away. I don't think Titan was terribly traumatized, I think he liked that game.,
Old 10-12-2020, 05:09 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 1,666 Likes on 858 Posts

Originally Posted by zeroptzero
Was that done by your Terrier or a wild animal ?
In this case, a "wild" Scottish Terrier!
The following users liked this post:
buckeyesue (10-12-2020)
Old 10-12-2020, 05:21 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 1,006 Likes on 585 Posts

Originally Posted by Hertz Donut
I thought so too, but my wife asked the man who raised her and he told her it wasn't, but she can't remember what breed/cross it was. Now I'm too embarrassed to ask him what it is myself. What to dooooooo?
Matt, are yours black or more of a reddish brown color? On my computer screen, they look more reddish brown.

Could they be Braford, a cross between Hereford and Brahman?

Braford

Australian Braford

(From 1983 to 1995, I worked as a lab technician at the Cattle Blood Typing Laboratory of The Ohio State University. Our lab was one of the designated laboratories in the United States for testing beef breeds. Blood tests were run for the breed associations to check parentage and breed purity. This was necessary because of the widespread use of artificial insemination and embryo transfers.)
Old 10-12-2020, 07:57 AM

Received 1,103 Likes on 699 Posts

Did anyone else notice the long white lashes on that cow/heifer/calf? She's gonna have those bulls standing in line.
Old 10-12-2020, 08:43 AM
Site Moderator
Super Moderator

Received 2,865 Likes on 2,077 Posts

Originally Posted by Lainey
So if a cat claws furniture or carpet, one of the suggestions is to offer alternatives. Working on this with Morgan. She does not maliciously claw at the carpet, often she does this when she's excited It is normal behavior. She also stretches and slithers across the carpet, moves along with her claws extended. I read this is one way they do stretch and maintain their claws.

We purchased a nice tall cat scratching post, rubbed cat nip on it, sprayed cat nip liquid on it, nothing. I scratched my own fingernails on it, hoping the sound would attract her, nope. She appears to be a "horizontal scratcher."

We had a couple of those cardboard scratching things Thelma liked. I've placed her toys on/around it, sprinkled with catnip, but again, no interest.

While the nail trim has helped with potential damage, she is still making some pulls in the rug. I really think the rug is just not tightly woven or something. It wasn't overly expensive but not cheap either. Today we went to a local cheap stuff store and bought a 24 x 46 carpet. I put in on the area where she tends to claw. I've added toys and catnip on it. I played around with the laser light to get her to check out the surface which she did. She can claw that all she wants to.

Also ordered a sisal cat scratching mat....She's such a good kitty personality wise, and if we get this little "quirk" under control she'll be perfect, even if she likes me way more than she likes Rick.

I've no issue bringing her in for regular nail trims, just wish this wasn't an issue. De-clawing is not an option.

Any cat people have suggestions?
My wife got some nail caps for our kitten, they seem to work quite well and don't bother the cat. I believe they use a bit of glue to hold them on, but aren't meant to be permanent so they'll need to be replaced as they come off. Ours has had them on for about 3 weeks and a couple have only just fell off.
Old 10-12-2020, 09:15 AM

Received 3,185 Likes on 1,841 Posts

^
Thanks. I've heard of those. A friend used them without too much success. If you have a kitten, you may have good luck with trimming the claws if you start early on. Morgan is about three and her past "accommodations" weren't the best, so she's not fond of too much handling, or touching of her paws. It likely will be easier to just bring her to the vet every 3-4 weeks. She has been hanging around on the small carpet we bought for her yesterday. There is a fair amount of cat nip on it.
Old 10-12-2020, 09:18 AM

Received 3,771 Likes on 2,661 Posts

Originally Posted by jukngene
In this case, a "wild" Scottish Terrier!
Geez, he must have a good set of teeth on him. lol
Old 10-12-2020, 06:17 PM

Received 818 Likes on 423 Posts

Originally Posted by buckeyesue
Matt, are yours black or more of a reddish brown color? On my computer screen, they look more reddish brown.

Could they be Braford, a cross between Hereford and Brahman?

Braford

Australian Braford

(From 1983 to 1995, I worked as a lab technician at the Cattle Blood Typing Laboratory of The Ohio State University. Our lab was one of the designated laboratories in the United States for testing beef breeds. Blood tests were run for the breed associations to check parentage and breed purity. This was necessary because of the widespread use of artificial insemination and embryo transfers.)
They very well could be, Sweetcheeks is black but with a very slight red tinge, while Tiger is very much a ginger. Sweetcheeks has loose skin as mentioned in the Australian Braford page. Worst comes to worst I could ask the supplier when he's next round here, our sons are friends at high school and we're letting the boys use about 8,000sqft of our property for a Young Enterprise Scheme project so he'll be here every now and then.
Old 10-12-2020, 06:25 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 1,006 Likes on 585 Posts

Originally Posted by Hertz Donut
They very well could be, Sweetcheeks is black but with a very slight red tinge, while Tiger is very much a ginger. Sweetcheeks has loose skin as mentioned in the Australian Braford page. Worst comes to worst I could ask the supplier when he's next round here, our sons are friends at high school and we're letting the boys use about 8,000sqft of our property for a Young Enterprise Scheme project so he'll be here every now and then.
Matt, I think that you should just ask the supplier or maybe even have your son ask his son if you don't want to.

I think that the supplier might even be flattered if you ask.

Quick Reply: Show us Your Pet II