S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Show us Your Pet II

Old 10-11-2020, 03:40 PM

Received 57 Likes on 46 Posts

Great news Patty. Long may she remain healthy.
Old 10-11-2020, 04:19 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 3,482 Likes on 1,889 Posts

Originally Posted by Emil St-Hilaire
Good news,Patty,very happy about this.
Originally Posted by Tachus
Great news Patty. Long may she remain healthy.
Thank you, Emil and Catherine. I think she overdid it yesterday. She's spent most of the day back in her heated bed under my office desk but when she does get up she's getting around well, but at about 80% of normal. It's just been a bed kind of day. Super windy and it finally got coldish.

^10-11-2020.
Old 10-11-2020, 04:35 PM

Received 818 Likes on 423 Posts

Good to see Talia's up and about, Patty, it's always hard to watch animals in pain when they can't tell you what's wrong.

After grazing other people's calves for the past 9 months (up to 70 at one point) we now have two of our own. Meet Sweetcheeks, our one year old heifer. Somewhat camera-shy behind her is Tiger, who is 6 months old. These two will be our "learner" stock, where we get to know the ins and outs of day-to-day care. We got a start with the grazing stock but other than having to get them back on the right side of a fence every now and then we didn't have to do anything. Over time we'll breed them to build up a herd. They're lovely animals, very calm and happy to keep us company while we're working around the property. They arrived with some of the grazing stock and were given to us as a thank you gift when the last of the stock left last night.

And yes, I know I need to sort that fence out.
The following users liked this post:
jukngene (10-11-2020)
Old 10-11-2020, 04:37 PM

Received 3,185 Likes on 1,841 Posts

So if a cat claws furniture or carpet, one of the suggestions is to offer alternatives. Working on this with Morgan. She does not maliciously claw at the carpet, often she does this when she's excited It is normal behavior. She also stretches and slithers across the carpet, moves along with her claws extended. I read this is one way they do stretch and maintain their claws.

We purchased a nice tall cat scratching post, rubbed cat nip on it, sprayed cat nip liquid on it, nothing. I scratched my own fingernails on it, hoping the sound would attract her, nope. She appears to be a "horizontal scratcher."

We had a couple of those cardboard scratching things Thelma liked. I've placed her toys on/around it, sprinkled with catnip, but again, no interest.

While the nail trim has helped with potential damage, she is still making some pulls in the rug. I really think the rug is just not tightly woven or something. It wasn't overly expensive but not cheap either. Today we went to a local cheap stuff store and bought a 24 x 46 carpet. I put in on the area where she tends to claw. I've added toys and catnip on it. I played around with the laser light to get her to check out the surface which she did. She can claw that all she wants to.

Also ordered a sisal cat scratching mat....She's such a good kitty personality wise, and if we get this little "quirk" under control she'll be perfect, even if she likes me way more than she likes Rick.

I've no issue bringing her in for regular nail trims, just wish this wasn't an issue. De-clawing is not an option.

Any cat people have suggestions?
Old 10-11-2020, 05:01 PM
Member (Premium)

Originally Posted by Lainey
So if a cat claws furniture or carpet, one of the suggestions is to offer alternatives. Working on this with Morgan. She does not maliciously claw at the carpet, often she does this when she's excited It is normal behavior. She also stretches and slithers across the carpet, moves along with her claws extended. I read this is one way they do stretch and maintain their claws.

Any cat people have suggestions?
I don't, Lainey. I think you're doing everything you can. All of my carpets are shag type, not loops. Talia loves to "kill" the small rugs and there's always some strands around when she's done.

Old 10-11-2020, 05:03 PM
Member (Premium)

Originally Posted by Hertz Donut
Good to see Talia's up and about, Patty, it's always hard to watch animals in pain when they can't tell you what's wrong.

After grazing other people's calves for the past 9 months (up to 70 at one point) we now have two of our own. Meet Sweetcheeks, our one year old heifer. Somewhat camera-shy behind her is Tiger, who is 6 months old. These two will be our "learner" stock, where we get to know the ins and outs of day-to-day care. We got a start with the grazing stock but other than having to get them back on the right side of a fence every now and then we didn't have to do anything. Over time we'll breed them to build up a herd. They're lovely animals, very calm and happy to keep us company while we're working around the property. They arrived with some of the grazing stock and were given to us as a thank you gift when the last of the stock left last night.

I like to see cows or steer! There's plenty of them just north of me I go by on my rides. Llamas and alpacas, too.
Old 10-11-2020, 05:43 PM

Received 2,885 Likes on 1,713 Posts

That is dinner on the hoof!
Old 10-11-2020, 06:09 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 1,666 Likes on 858 Posts

Originally Posted by Hertz Donut

Whiteface Hereford, correct?
Old 10-11-2020, 06:36 PM
Member (Premium)

Originally Posted by jukngene
Whiteface Hereford, correct?
Now what we have here is a bona fide cowman, folks!
Old 10-11-2020, 06:41 PM
Member (Premium)

I'm sharing this from Facebook, just to prove that it isn't all bad as some people seem to believe. I shared this on my own page after seeing it on someone else's. I think it's worthy of S2ki Vintage.

January 19, 2019.

Our 14-year-old dog Abbey died last month. The day after she passed away my 4-year-old daughter Meredith was crying and talking about how much she missed Abbey. She asked if we could write a letter to God so that when Abbey got to heaven, God would recognize her. I told her that I thought we could so, and she dictated these words:
Dear God,
Will you please take care of my dog? She died yesterday and is with you in heaven. I miss her very much. I am happy that you let me have her as my dog even though she got sick.
I hope you will play with her. She likes to swim and play with balls. I am sending a picture of her so when you see her you will know that she is my dog. I really miss her.
Love, Meredith
We put the letter in an envelope with a picture of Abbey and Meredith and addressed it to God/Heaven. We put our return address on it. Then Meredith pasted several stamps on the front of the envelope because she said it would take lots of stamps to get the letter all the way to heaven. That afternoon she dropped it into the letter box at the post office. A few days later, she asked if God had gotten the letter yet. I told her that I thought He had.
Yesterday, there was a package wrapped in gold paper on our front porch addressed, 'To Meredith' in an unfamiliar hand. Meredith opened it. Inside was a book by Mr. Rogers called, 'When a Pet Dies.' Taped to the inside front cover was the letter we had written to God in its opened envelope. On the opposite page was the picture of Abbey & Meredith and this note:
Dear Meredith,
Abbey arrived safely in heaven. Having the picture was a big help and I recognized her right away.
Abbey isn't sick anymore. Her spirit is here with me just like it stays in your heart. Abbey loved being your dog. Since we don't need our bodies in heaven, I don't have any pockets to keep your picture in so I am sending it back to you in this little book for you to keep and have something to remember Abbey by.
Thank you for the beautiful letter and thank your mother for helping you write it and sending it to me. What a wonderful mother you have. I picked her especially for you. I send my blessings every day and remember that I love you very much. By the way, I'm easy to find. I am wherever there is love.
Love, God

Last edited by Kyras; 10-11-2020 at 06:48 PM.

Quick Reply: Show us Your Pet II