S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Show us Your Pet II

Old 09-15-2024, 12:47 PM

Received 3,766 Likes on 2,657 Posts

The only thing that is a slight irritation with cats is them scratching on my couches and furniture, sometimes door frames. We have scratch posts in the house, we trim our cat's nails too, but we still yell at her when she goes for the furniture. In the old days our cats had their front nails removed, then it became illegal to do it here. You can't get a cat's nails removed in our region anymore. They do get better with age when it comes to scratching but the first few years can be tricky.
Old 09-15-2024, 03:51 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 3,482 Likes on 1,889 Posts

Originally Posted by noodels
Eating shit out of butts from dogs.then licking face....
Huh?
Old 09-15-2024, 04:32 PM

Received 3,185 Likes on 1,841 Posts

Originally Posted by zeroptzero
The only thing that is a slight irritation with cats is them scratching on my couches and furniture, sometimes door frames. We have scratch posts in the house, we trim our cat's nails too, but we still yell at her when she goes for the furniture. In the old days our cats had their front nails removed, then it became illegal to do it here. You can't get a cat's nails removed in our region anymore. They do get better with age when it comes to scratching but the first few years can be tricky.
Morgan has done some minor damage on the arms of our furniture and to our rug. She had zero interest in a scratching post and is more of a " horizontal clawer" vs horizontal. I do have a sisal mat that she does use, but in the wee hours, I can hear her clawing where she should not. If we yell her name, she stops. We do try to keep her claws trimmed and that does help minimize the damage since the little hooks end of the claws are trimmed off.

De-clawing a cat isn't illegal here, yet you will be hard pressed to find a vet willing to do that. Research has shown it is more painful than believed as they remove an entire knuckle. Declawing is the amputation of the last bone of each toe on a cat's paw. It would be like cutting off your finger at the last knuckle. When adopting a cat, the shelters have you sign a paper stating you won't have the cat de-clawed.

BTW, I too find cats way less work that dogs. We can be gone for hours, overnight or for a couple nights with minimal concern about Morgan. It's not the same with dogs.
The following users liked this post:
Kyras (09-15-2024)
Old 09-16-2024, 04:24 PM

Received 3,185 Likes on 1,841 Posts

Morgan will never be a lap cat, she's a "sit by my side" cat. She will sleep on the bed with me, but generally leaves when Rick comes to bed. This AM around 5:00 I woke up and decided to use the bathroom. I got out of bed and Morgan was just sitting on the floor near our bed. Not sure what that was about. As I left our room to head to the bathroom, she was right in front of me heading into the TV room. I think she thought I was going to be up for a while and she saw and opportunity to sit with me. I headed the other way, she was really meowing at me. I picked her up, held her for a little bit and put her back down. I guess she was just looking for a little extra attention.
The following users liked this post:
Kyras (09-16-2024)