S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Show us Your Pet II

Old 09-15-2024, 08:49 AM

Received 3,185 Likes on 1,841 Posts

Agree with Patty's advice, Jerry. Small area for the cats for a little while. And no litter box in the bedroom. Ick! Bathroom maybe, basement is good too. They quickly figure out where the littler box is. Unless there is an issue with their health, or someone denies them access to their facility by closing a door () they know where to go. I've had cats for 35+ years and have never had an issue with accidents. Though one cat had frequent urinary issues and at times would seek other places to relieve herself, as she would associate the litter box with pain.

PS You may find out your dog likes cat food and have to keep the cat food out of the dog's area.
The following users liked this post:
Kyras (09-15-2024)
Old 09-15-2024, 09:04 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 3,482 Likes on 1,889 Posts

Originally Posted by Lainey
Agree with Patty's advice, Jerry. Small area for the cats for a little while. And no litter box in the bedroom. Ick! Bathroom maybe, basement is good too. They quickly figure out where the littler box is. Unless there is an issue with their health, or someone denies them access to their facility by closing a door () they know where to go. I've had cats for 35+ years and have never had an issue with accidents. Though one cat had frequent urinary issues and at times would seek other places to relieve herself, as she would associate the litter box with pain.

PS You may find out your dog likes cat food and have to keep the cat food out of the dog's area.
^Oh, yeah! Good reminder. Also, my German shepherds thought the cat poop in the litter was Almond Roca. Nasty! I don't remember now what I did about that but I made the cat litter inaccessible for sure.

^9-15-2024. This is my set-up. "They say" cats don't want their food and water near their cat boxes. Hasn't stopped my cats from eating and drinking.
Old 09-15-2024, 09:12 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 1,666 Likes on 858 Posts

Originally Posted by Lainey

Ah, yes. Our cat Daisy has her food dishes on our dining room table to keep Nessa away. And we do remove them when we use the table (infrequently) for its designed purpose!

Last edited by jukngene; 09-15-2024 at 09:14 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by jukngene:
Kyras (09-15-2024), noodels (09-17-2024)
Old 09-15-2024, 09:28 AM

Received 3,770 Likes on 2,660 Posts

My wife maintains that you need one litter box per cat, plus one extra. So we have 2 boxes for our one remaining cat, when we had two cats we had three boxes. Cats will find the litter box no matter where they are located as long as it is within reason, we have one in the basement on the lower level , and one in the laundry room on the main level. If they get cleaned once a day they have zero odours, if they get left for a few days then the amonia smell builds up. For some reason our current cat has stopped covering up her feces, she just lays the log and walks away now, we don't why all of a sudden. All of our cats have always covered their poop.
Old 09-15-2024, 09:34 AM
Member (Premium)

Originally Posted by zeroptzero
My wife maintains that you need one litter box per cat, plus one extra. So we have 2 boxes for our one remaining cat, when we had two cats we had three boxes. Cats will find the litter box no matter where they are located as long as it is within reason, we have one in the basement on the lower level , and one in the laundry room on the main level. If they get cleaned once a day they have zero odours, if they get left for a few days then the amonia smell builds up. For some reason our current cat has stopped covering up her feces, she just lays the log and walks away now, we don't why all of a sudden. All of our cats have always covered their poop.
She must be proud.
The following 2 users liked this post by Kyras:
noodels (09-15-2024), zeroptzero (09-15-2024)
Old 09-15-2024, 09:52 AM

Received 5,749 Likes on 3,386 Posts

Cats are high maintenance, I'll stick with dogs.
Old 09-15-2024, 10:59 AM

Received 3,770 Likes on 2,660 Posts

Originally Posted by dlq04
I had dogs my entire life , many German Shepherds over the years and they were all wonderful. I got introduced to cats when I bought my girlfriend (who is now my wife) a cat , when she lived in an apartment after moving to my home town. Then we got married and stuck with cats after that. Cats don't require a lot of work, just cleaning of the litter, feeding is pretty easy. We can go away for a few days and there is no issue with cats staying on their own for the most part. Dogs still require poop and scoop procedures in our neighbourhood , that is some work.
The following 2 users liked this post by zeroptzero:
Kyras (09-15-2024), noodels (09-15-2024)
Old 09-15-2024, 11:36 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 3,938 Likes on 2,644 Posts

When I was under 16 shall we say, we had cats. The cat distribution system had our address on speed dial.
So although it has been a while. I'm familiar with many of the less pleasant aspects of cats.

I know where I would like to put the litter box which is in my office but my office has a relatively new carpet.
It is one of he few rooms with a door on the first floor. The library floor is hardwood but it's where my wife paints so not a good fit.

Kyras (09-15-2024)
Old 09-15-2024, 12:16 PM
Member (Premium)

Originally Posted by dlq04
No they're not.
noodels (09-17-2024)
Old 09-15-2024, 12:41 PM

Received 419 Likes on 383 Posts

Last edited by noodels; Yesterday at 08:14 AM.

Quick Reply: Show us Your Pet II