S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Show us your pet!

Old 02-22-2014, 07:38 PM

Received 3,222 Likes on 1,865 Posts

Originally Posted by Kyras
Gary, Talia has already snuck out 4 times. The first time I saw a flash out of the corner of my eye. The next three times I found her in the garage. She's lightening fast.
IF she is in danger of getting outside, consider one of these near the door.

Recommended by my vet. Just a little static shock to scare them away from the exit area. Not sure if I've posted this elsewhere, probably have.

Thelma escaped a few times. Since we put this near the rear door, I think she stepped on this one, hasn't gone near the door since. Her ears still perk up if she hears the lock opening on the front door. We're very careful about opening that door. She wants out, but we aren't letting her out.

Scat mat

Edited to add link.
Old 02-22-2014, 08:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My female kitty has bolted many times out both back and front doors. She thinks it's fun until we ignore her then she begs to get in! Patty leave your kitty in the garage for a while. She'll miss all the activities of your house (and you) and want to come in soon.
Old 02-22-2014, 09:41 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 3,539 Likes on 1,915 Posts

Originally Posted by Lainey
Originally Posted by Kyras' timestamp='1393114366' post='23029082
Gary, Talia has already snuck out 4 times. The first time I saw a flash out of the corner of my eye. The next three times I found her in the garage. She's lightening fast.
IF she is in danger of getting outside, consider one of these near the door.

Recommended by my vet. Just a little static shock to scare them away from the exit area. Not sure if I've posted this elsewhere, probably have.

Thelma escaped a few times. Since we put this near the rear door, I think she stepped on this one, hasn't gone near the door since. Her ears still perk up if she hears the lock opening on the front door. We're very careful about opening that door. She wants out, but we aren't letting her out.

Scat mat

Edited to add link.
^Thank you, Lainey. I've never heard of those before.

Originally Posted by plantpixie

My female kitty has bolted many times out both back and front doors. She thinks it's fun until we ignore her then she begs to get in! Patty leave your kitty in the garage for a while. She'll miss all the activities of your house (and you) and want to come in soon.
^The first time Talia got out in the garage, I found her scared and hiding behind the water heater. The last two times she was under the S2000 and just outside the open garage door. I'm afraid she'd get on my S and NSX and scratch them, if I let her stay out there for long. I don't want to find out.
Old 02-23-2014, 09:42 AM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I cured my kittens from an interest in the garage that serves as a good escape route or the possibility of death by crawling into an engine compartment or being run over. I kept the garage entry door ajar by 6 inches, whenever one approached it I would press panic button on my remote key -- they tried to run so quickly that they couldn’t get any traction. Nine years later they will only cautiously peer into the garage.

I normally keep them inside but allow them into the back yard when I can accompany them. They seem to understand the rules and don’t wander.

The electric mat looks like a good deterrent, too.

gary

Old 02-23-2014, 09:07 PM
Member (Premium)

I bought a cat harness but haven't attempted to put it on Talia yet. I think she'd love going outside and I'd keep her leashed. It could be a treat like taking a dog for a walk. But then, if she really loves it could make it even harder to keep her inside. I've seen online that lots of people do leash Bengals.
Old 02-27-2014, 08:41 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

AAhhhh..The joys of taking in strays. They have already discovered the hazards of being out on their own and are happy to have a haven with regular food and water and a safe place to sleep. The last four that have lived with us have had their own door to come and go as they please. Angel stayed with us fourteen years and was free to leave whenever he wanted. He never did. Catsanova has been with us two years and roams about two acres - one and one half acres of that is our yard.
Old 02-27-2014, 09:08 AM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I bought a cat harness but haven't attempted to put it on Talia yet. I think she'd love going outside and I'd keep her leashed. It could be a treat like taking a dog for a walk. But then, if she really loves it could make it even harder to keep her inside. I've seen online that lots of people do leash Bengals.
I harnessed my tabby at one time. I felt sorry for him and thought he would enjoy an outing while living in transitional housing while awaiting our new house to finish construction. I want to tell you that once he was set down it was like hooking a trout. He shortly broke free and climbed the nearest tree. After two hours in the cold he finally left his lofty perch. The next time I synched the harness very tight, only to have him refuse to walk or move. and...be careful if they have their claws.

Good luck, Patty.

gary
Old 02-27-2014, 09:48 AM
Member (Premium)

Originally Posted by skunkworks
Originally Posted by Kyras' timestamp='1393222036' post='23030671
I harnessed my tabby at one time. I felt sorry for him and thought he would enjoy an outing while living in transitional housing while awaiting our new house to finish construction. I want to tell you that once he was set down it was like hooking a trout. He shortly broke free and climbed the nearest tree. After two hours in the cold he finally left his lofty perch. The next time I synched the harness very tight, only to have him refuse to walk or move. and...be careful if they have their claws.

Good luck, Patty.
gary
Talia doesn't sit still. Right now she's bringing me a belled whisker over and over, to fetch. I don't even know if I could get the harness on her in the first place. She's squirmy and has extremely sharp claws.

I did get one on my cat Zoro, and we took him outside at Kennedy Meadows (camping) when he was a kitten. Eventually, we trusted him to come back inside the 5th wheel and let him roam. He would use us each time, though. It would be getting dark and he would totally ignore us calling him. Just when I'd be almost in tears, thinking he'd be eaten, he'd show up.
Old 02-27-2014, 10:43 AM

Received 3,222 Likes on 1,865 Posts

Originally Posted by skunkworks' timestamp='1393524531' post='23037335
[quote name='Kyras' timestamp='1393222036' post='23030671']

Good luck, Patty.
gary
Talia doesn't sit still. Right now she's bringing me a belled whisker over and over, to fetch. I don't even know if I could get the harness on her in the first place. She's squirmy and has extremely sharp claws.

I did get one on my cat Zoro, and we took him outside at Kennedy Meadows (camping) when he was a kitten. Eventually, we trusted him to come back inside the 5th wheel and let him roam. He would use us each time, though. It would be getting dark and he would totally ignore us calling him. Just when I'd be almost in tears, thinking he'd be eaten, he'd show up.
[/quote]
Patty, I'm sure Talia has plenty of stimulation in the house. I too have thought Thelma would have more fun roaming a bit in the yard, but I have no interest in leash training a cat. Sometimes once they experience outside, they will drive you NUTS to go back outside. I'm not going there. I did have two inside/outside cats who always came home, but I had a few scares along the way if they took off for 24/48 hours. Both got in fights with other animal that cost me $$ at the vet. Inside she is staying, especially since I now feed the birds.

Do you trim Talia's claws regularly? We give Thelma a "peticure" about every third weeks. Takes the two of us to get it done.

Hope about cruising the neighborhood in this with Talia? No one will call you a crazy cat lady, I'm sure.
Old 02-27-2014, 05:56 PM
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

A picture of my twin terrors:

Quick Reply: Show us your pet!