S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Show us your pet!

Old 11-30-2013, 02:46 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 825 Likes on 489 Posts

I really hate my cat allergies. I'd love to have a house kitty. +1 is happy that I have the allergies as he is not fond of kitties. I'm fairly content at being a doggy person, but honestly think I'm bi-animal. I love dogs AND cats but have to settle for what I can tolerate. Some dogs with short-prickly hair cause me to get hives, but cats totally cause the extreme swollen eyes, nasal congestion and hives.

Oh, and I love elephants, lions, tigers and bears too. Guess I should have been a zoo keeper.
Old 11-30-2013, 05:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Kyras
I have some new photos of my Siamese and Bengal kittens. Wow, the Bengal is just like I've read. Crazy active. She learned how to remove the metal disk in my desk and as soon as I put it back, she takes it out again. She purrs instantly when I pet her. Zion, the male Siamese, is a love just like my Zoro was. He also purrs instantly but he's way more mellow than Talia, the Bengal.

I am taking lots of photos because they grow so quickly. I feel like I got gyped on Zion's early days because he spent 3 weeks hiding behind the dryer or under the stairs. He grew a lot out of sight.

^11-27-2013. Talia.
That is a very beautiful cat. I love the markings and from what I've read about the breed, it seems a Bengal has a personality and temperament that would suit me and my lifestyle very well. I wonder if Dexter (my Schnoodle) would approve?

I don't mean to be nosy, but how much do Bengals from a reputable breeder usually sell for? If you don't mind sharing. I'm not interested in a "show quality" cat, or one to use for breeding, just a good natured buddy to keep me company.
Old 11-30-2013, 07:02 AM

Received 393 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by Lainey
For those who don't hang around FB, a few more pics of Thelma. We bought her a new kitty toy/hang out today.

Lainey she is adorable!
Old 11-30-2013, 08:55 AM

Received 3,222 Likes on 1,865 Posts

^
Thanks, Dave.
Old 11-30-2013, 09:04 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 3,539 Likes on 1,915 Posts

Originally Posted by dean
That is a very beautiful cat. I love the markings and from what I've read about the breed, it seems a Bengal has a personality and temperament that would suit me and my lifestyle very well. I wonder if Dexter (my Schnoodle) would approve?

I don't mean to be nosy, but how much do Bengals from a reputable breeder usually sell for? If you don't mind sharing. I'm not interested in a "show quality" cat, or one to use for breeding, just a good natured buddy to keep me company.
Destiny Bengals available kittens

Destiny Bengals home page

^Are you any where near Palm Beach Gardens? I only checked out prices at two breeders here in California. They started at $800 and went up. The price where I bought Talia was based entirely on the coloring. The more distinct and colorful the rosettes were the higher the price was. One breeder I looked at online, BurkeBen Bengal kittens has some silver colored kittens and some with no rosettes.

Bengal breeders
^This is the website I looked at to find breeders. Pets4You.com.

BTW, Talia has been all over the desk and sitting in front of the screen while I was typing this, causing me to fix it everytime she walked on the keyboard.

Old 11-30-2013, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by Kyras
Destiny Bengals available kittens

Destiny Bengals home page

^Are you any where near Palm Beach Gardens? I only checked out prices at two breeders here in California. They started at $800 and went up. The price where I bought Talia was based entirely on the coloring. The more distinct and colorful the rosettes were the higher the price was. One breeder I looked at online, BurkeBen Bengal kittens has some silver colored kittens and some with no rosettes.

Bengal breeders
^This is the website I looked at to find breeders. Pets4You.com.
Thanks very much for all the helpful info. I knew they were expensive, but not quite that much. I think $800 would completely drain my retirement fund. That'll teach me not to listen to my mother. She wanted me to become a veterinarian.

As much as I love the Bengal, I guess I'd better stick with my second, and generally much lower priced choice, the Manx. They also tend to have wonderful personalities, and are not usually aloof like many other cat breeds.
Old 12-01-2013, 09:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm glad to see that I am not the only one that choked on pricing. At one time I thought I wanted a Savannah cat. One of the prettiest ones I have seen was a Serval/Bengal mix. Way out of my price range.

http://www.a1savannahs.com/savannahs.htm
Old 12-01-2013, 10:41 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 4,038 Likes on 2,683 Posts

I'm not a "cat person" although I had several while growing up.
At first blush that figure can seem high but compared to purebred dogs it positively mid-range.
Pet quality, i.e. non-breeding, purebreds are $800-1200, whereas a a pure-bred can easily run several thousand.
Offspring of a great champion can get north of 10 grand.
Old 12-01-2013, 11:05 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 825 Likes on 489 Posts

Pets can be EXTREMELY expensive. When I was searching for a French bulldog the puppy prices were in the $3000 range. I really wanted a dog that was a little older as I did not relish the thought of housetraining a puppy but even the retired breeders were going for nearly $1k and these are dogs with heavy duty maintenance costs and are fairly short-lived.
Old 12-01-2013, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by boltonblue
I'm not a "cat person" although I had several while growing up.
At first blush that figure can seem high but compared to purebred dogs it positively mid-range.
Pet quality, i.e. non-breeding, purebreds are $800-1200, whereas a a pure-bred can easily run several thousand.
Offspring of a great champion can get north of 10 grand.
I don't have an issue with the price at all. I have an issue with my being able to pay it. Now that I'm on a fixed income and have lots of medical bills, I just can't splurge like I used to do. If I could, a Bengal would be very high on my wish list.
I love cats, dogs, mammals in general, turtles, tortoises, terrapins, lizards, birds snakes, fish, etc.. I'd be happy living in a house-animal shelter.

Quick Reply: Show us your pet!