S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Show us your pet!

Old 01-28-2020, 12:45 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 3,539 Likes on 1,915 Posts

It's been six days since I brought Talia from CA to CO to live with Atticus and Maury. The introduction is going well.

First step with them separated and not to see each other, is to take a sock and rub each cat, especially on the face, so the three cat scents get mingled. After that, lay the sock next to their food so they smell it and associate the scent with a happy time, eating.
The first time Atticus (black cat) smelled it he hissed. I got more of their scents on it and tried it again and he was fine. They all sniffed it but had no other reactions.

^1-26-2020. Talia with "the sock".

^1-26-2020. Maury and Atticus with "the sock".

Talia has had run of the house, with the boys locked in my bedroom a few times. That places her scent all over the house. Yesterday (1-27), I let her out and then couldn't find her. She got to stay out until I got home around midnight, so all day. I still couldn't find her when I got home so I let the boys out and they found her in the basement. No hissing or growling but lots of arched back staring. I got Talia back in the guest bedroom and they boys had the house, once again.

So, today's conditioning involved a divider that they can see each other through, and simultaneous playing on both sides, followed by a treat. I bought this big dog kennel on Nextdoor for $25 and am using it as the barrier. I played with daBird cat teasers on each side of the gate. Maury and Atticus were all for it but Talia was watching them from under the bed. It went well, and they all played on each side of the barrier and then all ate their wet food, and watched each other. No hissing and no growling! Perfect.

^1-28-2020. The set-up for the first time.

^1-28-2020. The set-up for the first time. Boys outside the grate in the hallway and Talia inside the bedroom.

^1-28-2020. Talia under the bed in the guest room while Maury and Atticus are watching her. She didn't feel safe right away but did come out and eat while they watched her.

^1-28-2020. Talia is eating while the boys watch.

^1-28-2020. Talia eating while the watch.

Last edited by Kyras; 01-28-2020 at 12:48 PM.
Old 01-28-2020, 01:07 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 2,972 Likes on 1,758 Posts

Seems complicated! But appears to be working.
Old 01-28-2020, 01:21 PM

Received 3,222 Likes on 1,865 Posts

Looks like it's working well. Wonder what will happen when the Zion gets there......could get interesting!
Old 02-10-2020, 12:41 PM

A 10 year old cat is considered a senior. She has teeth/gum issues. Vet recommends cleaning and maybe extractions. I saw what the vet saw and our previous cats never had this issue. Anesthesia is required, lab work first. She is a good, healthy kitty. It's not inexpensive by any means. It's not about the $, there are risks and bad things can happen. What would you do? And no, we aren't going to spring for implants or dentures......
Old 02-10-2020, 01:42 PM

Received 330 Likes on 279 Posts

Because of the cats age I'd probably be looking at having some extra cash from not buying cat food and litter. Tough choice when it comes to pets as they become part of the family.
Levi
Old 02-10-2020, 03:09 PM

Received 5,800 Likes on 3,419 Posts

Originally Posted by Lainey
A 10 year old cat is considered a senior. She has teeth/gum issues. Vet recommends cleaning and maybe extractions. I saw what the vet saw and our previous cats never had this issue. Anesthesia is required, lab work first. She is a good, healthy kitty. It's not inexpensive by any means. It's not about the $, there are risks and bad things can happen. What would you do? And no, we aren't going to spring for implants or dentures......
Average Indoor Cat Lifespan - According to the ASPCA, the average lifespan of an indoor cat is 13 to 17 years, and cats who live up to 20 are not uncommon. We had one that lived to be 21.
Old 02-10-2020, 05:14 PM

^
Yes, you are correct. We had two other cats, both indoor/outdoor and both beat the odds by living 17 and 15 years. Indoor cats often live longer than indoor/outdoor cats for obvious reasons.Thelma could have many years left. I think we've decided to get her teeth tended to, hopefully preventing possible infections and hoping there are no complications. It still seems a bit crazy to spend money on dental work on a cat.........if she were older or not in good health, I think we'd make a different decision, though if that were the case, the decision would be made by her health.

We have said that this is the last cat we'll have. We don't travel all that often but it is a PIA to always have to make arrangements. Dave, any update on you and Donna adding a dog to the family again?
Old 02-10-2020, 06:59 PM

Received 1,103 Likes on 699 Posts

Patty what's the latest on your cat introductions? I'm not a cat person, but your narrative got me paying attention.
Old 02-10-2020, 08:42 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 3,539 Likes on 1,915 Posts

Originally Posted by Morris
Patty what's the latest on your cat introductions? I'm not a cat person, but your narrative got me paying attention.
It's been two and a half weeks since I brought home my Bengal, Talia. I'm very happy with the way it's going although we don't have harmony yet. All three cats are free to roam the house almost all of the time. Today, I went for an ElliptiGO ride, in 30 degrees mind you (cabin fever), and it looked like Maury was tense and that Talia might be going after him so I locked her up in "her" bedroom while I was gone. She really likes my black cat Atticus but Maury is 6 months old and he bugs the shit out of me sometimes so I'm not surprised she gets fed up with him too. I'll hear a scrape going on and I never know who started it between Maury and Talia but there's been no blood or fur flying.

I'm going back to California on Saturday with plans to bring Zion, my Siamese male, back on Thursday next week. He should be easier to deal with because he's always seemed friendly to cats even if he's scared to death of people. He might be very happy here with two other bros to play with and, of course, he already knows Talia.

^2-10-2020. Atticus and Maury on the new cat post I put together a couple of days ago.

^2-9-2020. Talia on top of the new cat post. I have two of those cat posts in California and I know how much Talia and Zion like them so I bought another one for the Colorado house.

^2-9-2020. All three cats eating together. It's supposed to make them more comfortable with each other when they do something they love,
like eating, and they're all together.

^2-8-2020. Talia used to love sitting on my lap in California and sucking on my satin nightgown. I tried it again here in Colorado and she went right back to it. I've lived away from her for 2 years and I think she's happy to have me back. I have to put a towel down underneath the nightgown because her nails are so sharp and they carve my thighs. I'm just happy to hear her purring again.

^2-8-2020. Maury is another biscuit maker. He prefers the fuzzy side of blankets. He really goes to town kneading and sucking on them. He's a teenager in cat years and very naughty but he's so affectionate. He'll lay on my neck purring. When you live alone that is very nice.

Last edited by Kyras; 02-10-2020 at 08:49 PM.
Old 02-11-2020, 02:19 AM

Received 330 Likes on 279 Posts

Originally Posted by Lainey
^
. I think we've decided to get her teeth tended to, hopefully preventing possible infections and hoping there are no complications.
Good choice, I didn't realize cats lived that long on a routine basis.
Levi

Quick Reply: Show us your pet!