S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Should I buy stolen goods from ebay?

Old 06-01-2004, 07:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I buy stolen goods from ebay?

Ok, I know the answer.

But the guy that sits next to me at work was telling me about his digital camera. Then he described how he got it so cheap from ebay.

I can't tell you the ins and outs of the scam, but basically the ebay seller was purchasing new cameras with stolen credit card numbers. He'd sell them in lots of around ten, then disappear only to reappear under a different ebay name selling another lot of cameras.

So someone at work, bought one of the cameras for a very low price, and figured out the scam the seller was using. The guy at work figures he gets a cheap camera, that's all that matters. But he tells others at work, along with info about the scam because he's rather proud that he figured it out. Guess what, a bunch of people jump on the bandwagon and buy more cameras.

None of the purchasers seems to have a problem with it. I don't get it.

Ironically, we were all just forced to sign a "Code of Ethics" at work, sign it or be fired. Some of our ex-execs were up to no good, more than just hot cameras.

I don't play on ebay but I've heard it's full of stolen goods. Well, I guess if no one bought the stuff there wouldn't be a market.
Old 06-01-2004, 08:06 PM

Originally posted by Smokee
Should I buy stolen goods from ebay?

Ok, I know the answer.
That's right, NO. Don't worry about the other guys. Keep your own nose clean and life will be easier.

My 2c.
Old 06-02-2004, 07:41 AM

Received 3,222 Likes on 1,865 Posts

The "bargain" camera is someone else's loss. It may be the credit card company's loss. Someone out there now has to deal with the fact that some scumbag out there may have some of their personal information, and now they have to close out accounts, open new ones and deal with the hassle of all that goes with it.

I'm always surprised at the people who can well afford to buy "toys" who are eager to purchase "hot merchandise" just to save a buck, or to simply have what the others have.
Old 06-02-2004, 07:43 AM

Originally posted by Lainey8484 I'm always surprised at the people who can well afford to buy "toys" who are eager to purchase "hot merchandise" just to save a buck, or to simply have what the others have.
And then they bitch and moan when something gets stolen from them.
Old 06-02-2004, 03:46 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 1,494 Likes on 1,161 Posts

This is one of those situations where you just can't win. If you don't you're called a fool because afterall "someone is going to buy it and you could have saved a lot of money". If you do you're called a fool because afterall, "you are nothing better than the crook who stole it. You are helping to make crime pay."

The proper thing to do is the right thing. Don't buy it.
Old 06-02-2004, 04:31 PM

Originally posted by Smokee
I don't play on ebay but I've heard it's full of stolen goods. Well, I guess if no one bought the stuff there wouldn't be a market.
Old 06-02-2004, 08:48 PM

Of course we have to keep Legal Bill employed.......

Gerry - Who wouldn't knowingly buy stolen goods

That didn't look right....

Gerry - I don't buy stolen goods
Old 06-02-2004, 08:51 PM
Former Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it's too good to be true it probably is. It is criminal.
Old 06-03-2004, 09:04 AM

If it is too good to be true, it's likely a scam.
Old 06-03-2004, 09:11 AM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

I buy from E-bay sellers who have a rating and a history. It seems like the sellers we are talking about here do not maintain a name long enough to develop a history. Maybe this is a good way to avoid the theives.

I learned long ago not to buy stolen goods. Even a good deal is often bad when something goes wrong. Remember, if they stole the goods in the first place, they will have no problems with stealing from you.

Quick Reply: Should I buy stolen goods from ebay?