S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Should the government save our auto industry?

Old 08-08-2008, 06:17 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Lainey8484,Aug 8 2008, 07:27 AM
^

Our new president WILL fix this for us, right?
Ha Ha Ha Lainey made a joke.
Old 08-08-2008, 07:18 PM

Received 513 Likes on 305 Posts

Originally Posted by louis s2000,Aug 7 2008, 02:05 PM
Unions are becoming the downfall of all manufacturing jobs nationwide. How can you expect to pay someone $60 an hour to work on an assembly line building cars nobody wants and expect to make money?

GM are saying they NOW need to refocus on the type of cars they build ie smaller, fuel efficient etc...HELLO!!!! Toyota, Nissan and Honda have been doing this since the 80's!! It's laughable!

If I open a restaurant and sell crappy food while paying my staff incredible amounts, will the government bail me out too? Hmmm
This about sums up my comments. Those that don't learn from their mistakes are doomed to repeat them.

On the other hand where does this mentality stop? There has been LOTS of discussion over the last twenty years about "bailing out" the waterman of the Chesapeake Bay that make (made) their living by over harvesting blue crabs. Now that they have reached the end of the line which is the result of over harvesting for decades, and the result of agricultural run off into the Chesapeake Bay that has created "dead zones" that will not support life.

I think that I know, why this is happening but if I post it here this post will have to be moved to the political discussion threads. :-(
Old 08-08-2008, 08:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the government is bailing out dimbulbs who purchased houses they can't afford, why not the Big Three?

At least the first bailout of Chrysler was structured so that the government owned enough stock to make a couple of bucks when Chrysler returned to health. But we, the dumbasses, are getting nothing except downside risk in the mortgage bailouts.
Old 08-08-2008, 10:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RedY2KS2k,Aug 8 2008, 08:07 PM
If the government is bailing out dimbulbs who purchased houses they can't afford, why not the Big Three?

At least the first bailout of Chrysler was structured so that the government owned enough stock to make a couple of bucks when Chrysler returned to health. But we, the dumbasses, are getting nothing except downside risk in the mortgage bailouts.
That's not correct. The mortgage bailout is structured as purchase of stock, so the government will get just as good or bad a deal as any other stockholder.

Note that I don't agree with that bailout either. However, just because one does one stupid thing, doesn't mean one has to do every stupid thing available.
Old 08-08-2008, 11:58 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Let me preface this by saying, I didn't read the whole thread...and it's 3:57AM and I'm drunk... but I gave up on the "Big 3" a long time ago. They make a terrible product, have horrible service ethics, and could give a shit less about what buyers think down the road after the sale.

Before any of you knew me, I was a hard-core Pontiac man. After several bad experiences with that brand (and other GM affiliates), and a catastrophic experience with Toyota, I refuse to deal with anyone but Honda.

You make your bed and then you MUST lie in it. We all have to deal with it in our personal and business lives...why shouldn't they? And don't tell me the employees are not at fault...how they handle themselves directly affects what's happening right now.
Old 08-09-2008, 04:55 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 3,949 Likes on 2,647 Posts

In Alan Greenspan's book, he discussed the Chrysler bailout.
paraphrasing since I'm to lazy to go find it.

he commented, he didn't know if he was more concerned that it wouldn't work or more concerned that it would, thereby setting the precedent for actions to follow. ...
You know that Greenspan is a pretty clever fellow.

Old 08-09-2008, 10:54 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by S1997,Aug 7 2008, 02:43 AM
Could be that with our extreme version of laissez faire capitalism we might need the government to step in periodically and promote long term planning that is not so sensitive to short term measurable profit motives. After all there should be room somewhere in the system for furthering such a thing as the general welfare and sustaining the overall health of the economy.
Or ... maybe we let a few dinosaurs die and see if any mammals step in to replace them. How's an innovative new American car company supposed to compete against subsidized giants? It can't. Subsidizing failing companies with failed business models is what kills innovation and growth.

By the way, I've never owned a car that was not a Honda. But I think one of my Hondas was built in the US.
Old 08-09-2008, 12:55 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This sounds suspiciously like the demise of the British car industry.
Old 08-09-2008, 01:12 PM
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Received 625 Likes on 377 Posts

My comments were not necessarily about direct subsidies.

Tucker couldn't even compete against them in a 'fair' fight.

But apparently some other American companies are only surviving with some public assistance -- or maybe it's just propaganda.
http://www.usatoday.com/travel/flights/200...ubsidy-ap_N.htm
Old 08-09-2008, 03:25 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by S1997,Aug 9 2008, 02:12 PM
But apparently some other American companies are only surviving with some public assistance -- or maybe it's just propaganda.
http://www.usatoday.com/travel/flights/200...ubsidy-ap_N.htm
That's counter-fire. The EU is directly subsidizing Airbus (and has been for as long as Airbus has existed). The US has been complaining about it to the WTO, so now Europe is accusing the US of indirectly subsidizing Boeing.

The argument has been going on for a decade, and isn't going to end soon. It has recently become stirred up again because of the tanker contract. Some people are wondering why the Air Force is considering buying an airplane that is a subsidized competitor to a US product. (As a taxpayer, however, that means that the EU would thus be subsidizing the USAF. I'm not sure I see the problem there.)

Quick Reply: Should the government save our auto industry?