S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Shooting the Breeze 17-19

Old 08-28-2023, 03:08 PM

Received 3,190 Likes on 1,844 Posts

Originally Posted by Kyras
I have a summer cold. Either that or covid. The symptoms are the same I guess, nowadays.

Light headache, dry scratchy throat, a bit of a runny nose and some coughing.
My nephew's wife is still very Covid concerned. Anyone with a sniffle gets a Covid test in their house. She just spent $75.00 for tests and all were negative. In my world, I'm not crazy about shoving the swab up my nose. I'll just wait it out and avoid people for a few/five days, I have that option...if symptoms seemed more definitive of Covid, I guess I would test, if I thought I'd want a prescription for the meds.....
I think many people are just tired of the whole Covid thing and are going to proceed with their lives even if they suspect Covid, the same as if they had a cold. I'm not saying that's the right thing to do, but I would not doubt it's becoming more common.
Old 08-28-2023, 03:24 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 3,484 Likes on 1,890 Posts

Originally Posted by Lainey
My nephew's wife is still very Covid concerned. Anyone with a sniffle gets a Covid test in their house. She just spent $75.00 for tests and all were negative. In my world, I'm not crazy about shoving the swab up my nose. I'll just wait it out and avoid people for a few/five days, I have that option...if symptoms seemed more definitive of Covid, I guess I would test, if I thought I'd want a prescription for the meds.....
I think many people are just tired of the whole Covid thing and are going to proceed with their lives even if they suspect Covid, the same as if they had a cold. I'm not saying that's the right thing to do, but I would not doubt it's becoming more common.
Yep, a virus with a label, is still a virus.
Old 08-28-2023, 04:32 PM

Most of us here have a fair amount of computer skills, some more than others, but most of us can get by. We may not realize how many other folks our age and even younger will struggle when thrown into a situation where more computer skills are necessary. With no/limited computer skills, you have a problem if you lost a job, need to collect unemployment, want a job and have to apply online. Just about everything is done online today!

My 75 year old friend with limited computer skills lost her part time job. She wants another. She got help with her resume and had it printed but needed to scan it and get it into her laptop, needed a cover letter, needed to know how to attach those documents to an application. We took care of that today.

She has been struggling with filing for unemployment online, searching for jobs, etc.

She applied for a job as a lunch lady at the local high school. Got a letter confirming her employment. Had many documents to print and fill out, had to watch some kind of ethics video using Chome which she didn't have. I downloaded it for her.

Meanwhile before I got there this afternoon, someone from the school called and told her they needed help at a different school, further from her house, an extra 45 minutes of work per day. She didn't really want it, but said OK. After she thought about it, she decided she preferred the original offer. We sent an email to the powers that be ( less than two hours had elapsed she since got the phone call) and she received an email that the position at the high school had been filled. They could put her on as a sub if the other school didn't work for her. I smell town politics here, someone else wanted the position at the HS.

She will decline their "offer" and keep looking for employment. I feel bad for her struggle with all this and I'm happy to help her. She's a fun person to hang out with. I want nothing for helping her, I'm sure she'll buy me lunch but that's not necessary.

Do you have friends/family that need help with what we consider the basics in using a computer?
The following users liked this post:
buckeyesue (08-28-2023)
Old 08-28-2023, 04:43 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 3,484 Likes on 1,890 Posts

Nice going, Lainey! I don't have friends that need help but could use some. I bought a new Dell PC tower last week before I flew to California since it was $200 off at Costco and had the basics that I need. I hope I can set it up easily after I get home tomorrow night.

Speaking of that, how are you liking your new PC?
Old 08-28-2023, 05:18 PM

Received 4,251 Likes on 3,308 Posts

At the retirement home I frequently help people with their t.v. or computers/ phones. I find a lot of times the older people have trouble with seeing the buttons and screens. It is usually basic stuff that I help with nothing too involved. I find the younger the person on our staff the more they know about computer stuff.
Lainey (08-29-2023)
Old 08-28-2023, 05:20 PM

^
Very happy with the PC. Bypassing the Microsoft log in was a PIA, but all is good. Works quickly, no bogging down, loaded Word and Excel (bought student version didn't want a subscription) and was able to transfer my bookmarks and passwords from a flash drive. That was a big time saver.

Here's a link if you don't want to have to set up the Microsoft account to log in. I used bypass #2
Microsoft Bypass
Old 08-28-2023, 05:23 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 1,006 Likes on 585 Posts

Lainey, you are very kind to be helping your friend so much. I am sure she appreciates it very much during what is probably a stressful time for her.

I can do most things that I need to do on the computer. However, there are probably some things that I could use help with.

When I need help, I can ask the soon-to-be 80 year old guy that I live with.

Or, perhaps someday in the future, I will need to ask my soon-to-be 20 year old granddaughter.

Last edited by buckeyesue; 08-28-2023 at 08:17 PM.
Lainey (08-28-2023)
Old 08-28-2023, 08:10 PM

Received 5,755 Likes on 3,391 Posts

Lainey, hope your story has a happy ending soon down the road. I am so thankful I pushed myself to learn all that I know. At work I forced myself to have people who understood programs like word perfect, excel, etc. in totally different departments to show me the basics. My job at the time did not require any of that but I soon turned my job into using every aspect of those programs and more. Since Uncle Sam taught me to type, that was a really big head start.
Old 08-29-2023, 04:55 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 3,949 Likes on 2,647 Posts

I have several older relatives who are computer illiterate, in fact one I'm thinking of ( she's 90+) has never had a computer in the house.
I guess you don't miss what you don't know.
Old 08-29-2023, 06:32 AM

Originally Posted by dlq04
Lainey, hope your story has a happy ending soon down the road. I am so thankful I pushed myself to learn all that I know. At work I forced myself to have people who understood programs like word perfect, excel, etc. in totally different departments to show me the basics. My job at the time did not require any of that but I soon turned my job into using every aspect of those programs and more. Since Uncle Sam taught me to type, that was a really big head start.
Dave my friend will find something. Lots of jobs around. She can be picky and I don't blame her if she no longer has an interest in working weekends. She's paid her dues!

I've probably shared this before, but....When I first started my job, the bookkeeping was done by hand, paper, not computer, typewriter for billing and letters, and carbon paper, OMG, carbon paper. What a PIA! A computer was brought in and we purchased a bookkeeping program. At the time, I think the typewriter was still used for letters, communication. Oh, and we were the first "kids on the block" to get one of the fancy fax machines with that "nice paper" that was a roll of very annoying paper...When we moved up to a Windows computer a newer bookkeeping program was purchased along with Microsoft Office. The job didn't initially require Excel. The bookkeeping program did what I needed to do. However, I knew my boss would sell out once his kids were grown and other jobs required more skills. Took a very helpful course on Excel at the local vocational school in the adult night classes and down the line used the Excel for a few different spread sheets. I know I barely scratched the surface of what that program can do. When the business was sold and a new manager came in, he LOVED spread sheets.....Thankfully, my limited knowledge of the program came in handy. I still use Excel to keep track of our income/expenses and a few other things. Nothing too involved, but keeps my mind working anyway.

Rick is not a fan of computers and phones. He gets by, uses the PC daily, just don't text or email him. If I weren't around, a grandchild would have to be called in to assist.

Quick Reply: Shooting the Breeze 17-19