S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Shooting the Breeze 17-19

Old 02-09-2022, 04:19 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 3,949 Likes on 2,647 Posts

Lainey do you mean like these?

I got these at LL Bean in the early 90's.
The most comfortable footwear I have ever owned.
Actually produced by an Oregon company called Danner. I've been tempted to send them west for refurbishing.
I think I have at least 5 others pairs of their shoes/boots.
The following 2 users liked this post by boltonblue:
Kyras (02-09-2022), Lainey (02-09-2022)
Old 02-09-2022, 05:06 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 3,484 Likes on 1,890 Posts

Originally Posted by Lainey
So do you have have a pair of boots/shoes that you think are just not ready to ditch even though you had them since 1997? I had a pair of Reebok (not fancy) hiking boots. I purchased them to hike a small mountain in ME. I'd wear them now and again, but not often. In the last few years they got a little more use since we've been out in the woods more often, and with the right socks, they were warm for winter walks.

I knew they were close to being ditched and recently found a pair of hiking shoes/sneakers that I like. I kept the Reboks as they came up over the ankle, and sometimes I like that. Also I didn't care if they got really muddy. I could see a little worn/cracked area on the bottom which had, in the past, let some dampness in, but still I kept them.. Today a wave washed over the top of the shoe, so I already had a damp foot. Didn't notice much else until I headed back to the car. I heard an odd sound. Part of the sole/heel split from the shoe.

Decision made. They are in the trash.

Now i know Patricia would have supplied you with a photo, but I didn't bother.

The big question is do you have footwear is in your closet that really should be in the trash?
Why yes, I do. Let me go find the photo on my external memory. It's the boot I was wearing when I broke a few bones in my right foot in October 2017, on my motorcycle. Oh, shall I post up a photo of my foot, too?

Oh, I glued the sole back on. I just was looking at the boots in my California garage last month. Couldn't part with them, yet.

Last edited by Kyras; 02-10-2022 at 09:14 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Lainey (02-09-2022)
Old 02-10-2022, 05:43 AM

Received 468 Likes on 334 Posts

I found out our beloved post office gentleman passed away while at work with about 3 weeks to go till retirement. He had put in his paperwork. He was only 67. He was looking forward to his upcoming retirement and just like that, he is gone. He was very much loved by all who visited this post office. He was friendly, kind, patient and always had a smile on his face no matter what. What a terrible loss for the community and his family. We always bantered about sports and his son in college. Though I moved away from my old neighborhood where he worked, I would simply drop by just to say hello when I had opportunity. It was a sad news for the entire community. This news just makes me think about my own mortality.
Old 02-10-2022, 06:34 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 809 Likes on 484 Posts

Originally Posted by Honda 367
I found out our beloved post office gentleman passed away while at work with about 3 weeks to go till retirement. He had put in his paperwork. He was only 67. He was looking forward to his upcoming retirement and just like that, he is gone. He was very much loved by all who visited this post office. He was friendly, kind, patient and always had a smile on his face no matter what. What a terrible loss for the community and his family. We always bantered about sports and his son in college. Though I moved away from my old neighborhood where he worked, I would simply drop by just to say hello when I had opportunity. It was a sad news for the entire community. This news just makes me think about my own mortality.
I grow weary of loss. In the past couple or so years the hits just keep coming. It not only makes me think of my own mortality but makes me feel so lonely even if I'm surrounded by people.
Old 02-10-2022, 07:04 AM

Received 5,757 Likes on 3,392 Posts

None of us can turn back the clock but whenever and where ever possible we try to hang out with much younger people. I would much rather hear stories about the difficulty they are having with raising a teenager than hearing stories how their health is failing.
The following 2 users liked this post by dlq04:
Lainey (02-10-2022), valentine (02-13-2022)
Old 02-10-2022, 10:15 AM

Received 4,251 Likes on 3,308 Posts

Originally Posted by Honda 367
I always hate to hear that when somebody worked hard their whole life and just before retirement they pass away BUT I always like to think that they are in a great place after passing and are happy.
Old 02-10-2022, 10:25 AM

Received 2,885 Likes on 1,713 Posts

We had a local deputy collapse and die on his last day of work yesterday. So sad that you work all of those years and bam!
Kyras (02-10-2022)
Old 02-10-2022, 10:35 AM

Received 5,757 Likes on 3,392 Posts

I wasn't taking any chances. One week after turning 60 I retired and bought myself a retirement present - a new S2000. That was 20 years ago. Looking back I wouldn't have changed a thing.
Kyras (02-10-2022)
Old 02-10-2022, 11:58 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 3,949 Likes on 2,647 Posts

Scoots and Honda, it's sad to hear that news.
Being in a big company with an aging demographic I hear it a lot.
" You know so and so who retired enter short time ago)"? yeah he died last month.

You need to enjoy the journey as much as you can.
It's not a guaranteed reservation at the end.
valentine (02-13-2022)
Old 02-10-2022, 02:28 PM

Received 468 Likes on 334 Posts

^ I agree with you, David and Dave. It's far wiser to call it quits earlier than later on my term. Numbers are arbitrary. If you are able, I think it is much better to retire sooner than later. We don't have a guaranteed time allotted to us. We can't make plans based on that. While I am still alive, it is time to derive as much happiness as I can.

Surrounding yourself with younger folks is a great idea. I have a much younger cousin who lives right around corner. We have dinner together with his family with two young boys on a regular basis. Sometimes we eat at their place and they come over to our place. My wife and I are happy that they enjoy spending time with us.

Quick Reply: Shooting the Breeze 17-19