S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Shooting the Breeze 17-19

Old 11-28-2021, 11:30 AM

Received 818 Likes on 423 Posts

Should be hearing about that over the next couple of days. It was pushed up the tree to the CIO (can't remember how to translate that to American with 2 hours' sleep, it's the company head of technology role) to approve.
Old 11-28-2021, 11:43 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 2,954 Likes on 1,748 Posts

Chief Information Officer…no translation needed.
Old 11-28-2021, 03:33 PM

Ha, shows how tired I am...
Old 12-01-2021, 05:27 AM

Received 3,191 Likes on 1,845 Posts

Relatively warm day today with temps in 40's. Off to the Newport, RI area with a friend in search of the snowy owl. The area to which we are headed reportedly has two in residence. I've seen some great photos of them in a birding forum. Lunch in our travels. Will be a fun day.
Old 12-01-2021, 10:20 AM

Received 390 Likes on 234 Posts

Lainey, how long a drive is Newport from you?
Old 12-01-2021, 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by Headchef
Lainey, how long a drive is Newport from you?
Around 45 minutes, Dave. We were actually in Middletown. Gorgeous day for a walk near the water. I did see a snowy owl, but he was too far away to photograph.
Hope you are well, Dave.
Old 12-02-2021, 08:21 PM

Received 5,757 Likes on 3,392 Posts

We had a nice break in the weather so I got to spend the day in the yard (50°). Blew leaves (hell yah), set up the extension cords and timers for two outside trees for lights, put out our Old Fashion wood Sanata & two others, installed two solar lights along the walkway to my garage (what was I thinking - - we don't get any sun in MI - - the lights were dark within 4 hours, so of no use when I am out there at 11/12 at night.), tried to fix a couple bird feeder issues (an 86 year old, one eyed, neighbor offered to put on a new top on the one we really like - - what could wrong - - actually he did a great job but he made the roof too big so now it will not stay open when trying to fill it.) I couldn't come up with a fix for that one except to saw off some of the overhang but my son has my saw and it was getting much cooler (cold in my book) to be sawing 8 foot off the ground. That will have to wait till spring.
Old 12-05-2021, 01:18 PM

I spent the weekend running out permanent electric wires on the boundary fences, one at the top and one half-way down. Their primary purpose is to keep stock in but they handily also keep unwanted animals (two- and four-legged) out. It's really a bit late in the year to be doing this as we're into Summer now and nudging over 90 degrees some days, and when there's no breeze in the paddock the heat can get oppressive. By the end of it I could barely move, and I'd re-broken my toe stumbling over some uneven ground.

Fortunately I'd spent the weekend before last putting up a pool we bought for $300 from the local big box retailer. It was on sale for half its clearance price over Winter so I didn't look a gift horse in the mouth and snapped it up, then stored it in the garage. It's only 12ft in diameter but at the end of a hot day it's a welcome relief, and I sat in it until I was wrinkled up like a prune (doesn't seem to take so long these days...). If we get 5 years' use out of it I'll be happy. I'd like to think we'll have a permanent pool in by then, but with so much to get done it's more likely 15 years away.
Old 12-07-2021, 05:47 PM

Decided to buy a Kindle Fire tablet. I'm trying to spend more down time reading, downloading books from the library and the Kindle Fire appears to make that an easy task. I have the kindle paperwhite, but that's a reader only.

Generally I spend a lot of time with my laptop on my lap. I think, in many cases, the tablet will suffice. We will see.
Old 12-07-2021, 06:27 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 3,484 Likes on 1,890 Posts

Originally Posted by Lainey
Decided to buy a Kindle Fire tablet. I'm trying to spend more down time reading, downloading books from the library and the Kindle Fire appears to make that an easy task. I have the kindle paperwhite, but that's a reader only.

Generally I spend a lot of time with my laptop on my lap. I think, in many cases, the tablet will suffice. We will see.

I like real books. I drop in at the local Goodwill every few weeks to browse their books. I currently have three that cost me $2 each. I had a Kindle or whatever, in my 24Hour Fitness days, before I bought my first ElliptiGO. I stopped using it in 2011 and it's useless now. I read to fall asleep if I'm not already sleepy enough. Often times I'll start with a book but one of my cats will come up on my bed and their purr makes me put down the book and that makes us both happy. Last night my book got put down because I had Atticus on my left hip and Maury on my right hip.

Hey, Lainey, I'm very curious what you like to read. Tonight I started on a paperback that is an old very basic geology book. I really enjoy it. It's mostly a refresher so far but geology is one of my favorite subjects. The other two are novels I'm going to love, I think. One is written from an autistic boy's point of view and the other, I started, seems to be a romantic.

Last edited by Kyras; 12-07-2021 at 06:37 PM.

Quick Reply: Shooting the Breeze 17-19