S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Shooting the Breeze 17-19

Old 12-19-2017, 06:15 AM

Received 2,885 Likes on 1,713 Posts

When we had this house built floor drains and hot water were a must. I will add heat in the near future.
Old 12-19-2017, 10:19 AM

Received 330 Likes on 279 Posts

Enjoy your white Christmas Patty.
Levi
Old 12-19-2017, 10:25 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 3,484 Likes on 1,890 Posts

Originally Posted by NNY S2k
Enjoy your white Christmas Patty.
Levi
Thank you, Levi. I've contacted a snow removal guy in case I need my driveway cleared to get to my son's in Niwot on Christmas.
Old 12-19-2017, 10:49 AM

Received 3,190 Likes on 1,844 Posts

Originally Posted by Kyras
I have come to understand your fantasy house garage. Now that I'm back in Loveland I've "learned" what cold can be. Wednesday is the day I'll be washing my Crosstour because the high is predicted to be 57°. Thursday is predicted to have snow with a high of 26°F. Saturday it is predicted the high will be 10°F with a low of -7°F! (68°F/55°F are the high/low predicted for Lake Forest, CA that day.) Christmas is predicted to have 22°F for a high and -2°F for a low in Loveland, CO.
I'm happy you are happy with this weather you are experiencing. Now picture going out oh say around 6:30 or 7:00 AM in said cold, and clearing off your car, (no garage) of snow, and/or ice, not because you want to, but because you have to go to work, or take the kids to school, or tend to whatever. One becomes weary of winter so quickly....that's why so many folks around here grumble. I grumble and Rick is the one dealing with the snow, not me) and why many move to "God's waiting room" Also known as Florida.

PS : We had a little break in the weather today. 53 degrees! He ran the S through the "no touch" car wash to remove remnants of last week's snow, mud, salt....
Old 12-19-2017, 12:41 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 3,484 Likes on 1,890 Posts

Originally Posted by Lainey
I'm happy you are happy with this weather you are experiencing. Now picture going out oh say around 6:30 or 7:00 AM in said cold, and clearing off your car, (no garage) of snow, and/or ice, not because you want to, but because you have to go to work, or take the kids to school, or tend to whatever. One becomes weary of winter so quickly....that's why so many folks around here grumble. I grumble and Rick is the one dealing with the snow, not me) and why many move to "God's waiting room" Also known as Florida.

PS : We had a little break in the weather today. 53 degrees! He ran the S through the "no touch" car wash to remove remnants of last week's snow, mud, salt....
Come next week I may be booking a flight to California. It's going to stay under freezing for days.
Old 12-19-2017, 03:02 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 3,949 Likes on 2,647 Posts

Patty it's not that it can get cold for a day or two.
It's when it has been freezing for 6 weeks and subzero for 4 of those.
Throw in a few snow storms with all of the sand and sand and general crud on the roads and you have a car that is filthy.
The yuck is almost thick enough to be measured with a ruler. Dirty enough that you would be hard pressed to guess what color the car was under all of that stuff.
That's when you are late for a meeting or going to a funeral or wedding and you brush up against the car and your clothes are instantly filthy.
A great big smudge of crud. but you really can't do anything about it because you can't wash your car.
Sure you can go use a touchless car wash and wash it down with recycled water from everybody else car....

yup a drain in a heated garage with hot and cold water feed.

It was warm today so I took the opportunity to go wash the two daily drivers.
Here's looking forward to spring.
Old 12-19-2017, 03:35 PM

Received 5,757 Likes on 3,392 Posts

A garage heater and floor drains IMHO are not enough... I can atest that the ground outside the garage where the 'car washing water' must go can and will sooner or later freeze up in the winter and back up, and freeze some more and back up, ....... been there; done that. My point is give a lot of thought about where the runoff is going and how quickly it can get out of the drain system. Mine drained underground down a long gradual downhill stretch to the street. It did not work out as planned.

Last edited by dlq04; 12-19-2017 at 03:38 PM.
Old 12-19-2017, 03:37 PM

Received 3,190 Likes on 1,844 Posts

Originally Posted by Kyras
Come next week I may be booking a flight to California. It's going to stay under freezing for days.
Your son has been in CO for a while hasn't he? How does he like the winters?
Old 12-19-2017, 03:55 PM

Received 2,885 Likes on 1,713 Posts

Originally Posted by dlq04
A garage heater and floor drains IMHO are not enough... I can atest that the ground outside the garage where the 'car washing water' must go can and will sooner or later freeze up in the winter and back up, and freeze some more and back up, ....... been there; done that. My point is give a lot of thought about where the runoff is going and how quickly it can get out of the drain system. Mine drained underground down a long gradual downhill stretch to the street. It did not work out as planned.
Ours goes below the frost line to the storm sewer under the street. I checked during construction because I had the same problem at our old house. Would routinely dump some (but not much) rock salt down the drain to keep it thawed out.
Old 12-19-2017, 04:10 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 1,666 Likes on 858 Posts

9 Famous Classic Hollywood Feuds

I never knew about some of them.

Quick Reply: Shooting the Breeze 17-19