S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Sharing experience with Mozilla's Firefox 1.0

Old 12-18-2004, 07:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mozilla/Firefox is king! The websites I run have statcounters on them and I would say 75% or more of the visitors use some version of it. Only way to go

Kevin
Old 12-19-2004, 04:26 AM

Originally Posted by ralper,Dec 18 2004, 11:59 PM
Coincidentally from today's New York Times

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/12/19/business...ney/19digi.html
Interesting article. I've never liked Microsoft and that Gary Schare sounds like a real asshat as the kids say.

Dean
Old 12-19-2004, 05:36 AM

Originally Posted by Barry in Wyoming,Dec 18 2004, 08:18 PM
I use Outlook 2002 and sync it with my hp ipaq 5555. This doesn't really matter to me for email but it does for contacts. Should I still try Thunderbird?
I use Outlook for my work email as I have features integrated into Outlook (click a contact to call, etc)...

I use Thunderbird for my home email but only use it to manage emails and maintain a very basic contact list. I do like it's filtering ablilities as I always seem to get more junk mail for my home email address.

Given that, if I had to choose between Outlook and Thunderbird for work, I would stick with Outlook (unless it's outlook express).
Old 12-19-2004, 06:11 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 1,491 Likes on 1,159 Posts

Originally Posted by matrix,Dec 19 2004, 09:36 AM
I use Outlook for my work email as I have features integrated into Outlook (click a contact to call, etc)...

I use Thunderbird for my home email but only use it to manage emails and maintain a very basic contact list. I do like it's filtering ablilities as I always seem to get more junk mail for my home email address.

Given that, if I had to choose between Outlook and Thunderbird for work, I would stick with Outlook (unless it's outlook express).
Me too. As a matter of fact I use the entire Microsoft Office Suite. It makes my work much easier. I can get a new hire or anyone in my organization up to speed in a few hours because most everyone knows how to use Microsoft software, more or less. Whatever you may think of Microsoft, that they have set a defacto standard has made things much easier.
Old 12-19-2004, 06:41 AM

Received 143 Likes on 92 Posts

I use Netcaptor. It has the look and feel of IE, and is based on that code. But it is a tab based browser (which I love) and hasn't suffered the security issues of IE.

www.netcaptor.com They also have a free download. I would stay away from Opera, as it has a number of contentions with certain websites. The ones I found to be most annoying were secure/banking websites.
Old 12-19-2004, 06:44 AM

Firefox works great!!! No annoying popups, but the feature i like the best is the "tabbed" windows.

IE SUCKS!!
Old 12-20-2004, 10:03 AM

Another Firefox user here. The pop-up ad supression is a wonderful feature.

I only use IE to access my online banking since the bank's site doesn't support Firefox/Mozilla.
Old 12-20-2004, 10:39 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Blocking pop-ups. Tabbed browsing. More secure. More standards-compliant. Available for linux. What's not to like? I've been using it for several years now. -- Opera, that is.

I haven't yet seen a single feature on Firefox that hasn't been available and in service for several years on Opera. Firefox does have the advantage of being open source, but it's not a big enough advantage to tempt me away from Opera.
Old 12-20-2004, 03:22 PM

I've been using Opera for a couple of years now. The only sites I have not been able to use Opera at are Windows Update and Gmail; Gmail uses ActiveX controls, but they are supposed to be adding Mozilla/Opera support soon. My online banking works, every secure website I've visited works, and while I have Firefox on my wife's computers, I prefer Opera.

Great stuff!
Old 12-20-2004, 03:43 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by tomcatt,Dec 20 2004, 04:22 PM
The only sites I have not been able to use Opera at are Windows Update and Gmail
At home, I don't switch browsers just to use a website. If the website can't write to open standards, they lose my business.

At work I use IE because my company's intranet requires it. I don't have the flexibility to use what I like.

I recently installed Opera on my mom and dad's new XP machine, and we discovered that McAffee's anti-virus update process requires IE. If it were me, they would lose my business for that, but we used IE to do the update.

(Of course, I don't need their anti-virus software at all on my linux boxes anyway.)

Quick Reply: Sharing experience with Mozilla's Firefox 1.0