S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Sharing experience with Mozilla's Firefox 1.0

Old 12-18-2004, 05:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Sharing experience with Mozilla's Firefox 1.0

I've been reading about Firefox for several months. It is a free download from mozilla.org and is supported by anti-Bill-Gates evangelists.

This week I downloaded Firefox to one computer at the office because I couldn't get a key medical site to work with Internet Explorer. The site is rxonline.epocrates.com where doctors can look up prescirbing information, formulary information and drug prices. It is a very cool, subscription supported site for the doctor and can be run either on PalmOS, Pocket PC, or through a browser. Anyway, rxonline.com kept telling me the site couldn't work because I had cookie management turned on even though I had all my IE cookie management turned off!

Firefox worked, no problems.

Since then, I've put Firefox on two more computers. Here's my early impressions. Everything seems faster. Saving pages is not quite as good since the default page names are less descriptive. I've had every site work as well on Firefox as on IE. Pop-ups are controlled with no add-ons.

Any other experiences? I still haven't set Firefox as my default browser on any machine yet.

Barry in Sheridan, Wyoming
Old 12-18-2004, 06:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't use IE and never have. I use Netscape, but it has some bugs and quirks that I don't like. How does Firefox compare to Netscape? I may give it a try.

Dean
Old 12-18-2004, 07:09 AM

Received 1,103 Likes on 699 Posts

Dean, I have used Netscape on my work and home computer since day one. I stay away from IE because of all the security issues. A week ago I put Firefox and Thunderbird on my home computer. It brought over all my bookmarks, my addresses, and even my old emails. It looks very much like Netscape, since they are both Mozilla products. And to be honest, I haven't noticed much difference in either product from what I was using. I had hoped the internet would be faster, but my dialup is sooooo slow, it doesn't seem to have made a difference.
In summary, I've had no problems at all, but also no real improvements either, which may be due to slow connection.
Old 12-18-2004, 07:15 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 809 Likes on 484 Posts

Haven't used Firefox, but use Mozilla -- never use i.e. any more -- Mozilla has been great for me -- looks similar to the netscape browser that +1 uses at work, so he loves it. I've never had any probs with Mozilla.
Old 12-18-2004, 07:36 AM

Firefox, or any of the other Mozilla browsers, are great. I've been using Opera, as I prefer the features it has, but I've put Firefox on my wife's computers and the only time we use IE is when visiting Microsoft's site, like Windows Update, or a few others that require Active X. Google's Gmail is another...

Great stuff!!!
Old 12-18-2004, 08:59 AM

I use Firefox - I much prefer it to IE.

Sometimes I do demos that have an HTML component to them and hands down Firefox is faster than IE. With IE there is always a flash between page loads (even locally loaded to my HD!) - Firefox, none - smooth page transitions everytime.

I do find that Firefox is not 100% though . Some sights I have to use IE to get it to run properly and I have had a problem loading Quicktime plugin into Firefox (have not gone back to look why)...

If you liked Firefox, give Thunderbird (email) a try. I use that also.
Old 12-18-2004, 12:44 PM

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

I've started using Mozilla, as it comes with the Linux release (SuSE) that I've got at work. I really love the tabbed browsing feature. I'm sure IE will steal that at some point.

Haven't tried the latest (Firefox). Sounds like I should.
Old 12-18-2004, 01:58 PM
Muz
Former Sponsor

I've been trialling Maxthon (was MyIE2) for the last 6 months or so. It is a free tabbed browser with some very nifty stuff built-in and well worth a look.

Maxthon Web Site
http://www.maxthon.com/en/index.htm

Maxthon Security Forums...
http://forum.maxthon.com/forum/index.php?showforum=30

Migrating to Mozilla FireFox: the Pros, Cons & Installation
http://www.techsupportalert.com/firefox.htm
Old 12-18-2004, 04:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by matrix,Dec 18 2004, 10:59 AM
If you liked Firefox, give Thunderbird (email) a try. I use that also.
I use Outlook 2002 and sync it with my hp ipaq 5555. This doesn't really matter to me for email but it does for contacts. Should I still try Thunderbird?
Old 12-18-2004, 06:59 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 1,491 Likes on 1,159 Posts

Coincidentally from today's New York Times

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/12/19/business...ney/19digi.html

Quick Reply: Sharing experience with Mozilla's Firefox 1.0