S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Service or lack thereof

Old 02-07-2004, 03:07 AM

Received 2,934 Likes on 1,737 Posts

Has anyone but me noticed that some companies have forgotten what good service is? I know we've discussed this in relation to servicing our cars but I have a story about my latest purchase - kitchen appliances.

I bought new appliances from a dealer that has been in business 75 years - range, refrigerator, dishwasher, and washer/dryer (which is in the kitchen - condo). There were several glitches in getting and installing everything and it took three trips (so far) to install. The dishwasher had not shown up in time for the first and they forgot the icemaker twice. The washer/dryer and dishwasher were installed on the second trip out. The installer tested both but neither one worked fully because, as he said, they had been sitting on the truck overnight and were frozen. I accepted that...he told me to wait awhile then run them. Well, the dishwasher was fine, but the washing machine did not agitate. This was two weeks ago.

I called my salesman and told him I wanted a new one since it did not work. He said that service would have to come out and verify that it did not work in order for him to order a new one. It took forever to get the service people on the phone and they were bad about returning calls. Anyway, finally last Mon the guy showed up to verify what I already knew - it didn't work. Needed a new motor. And this is where the real aggravation started. The service people contacted GE who told them that their warranty covered repair but not replacement. I said, more or less, "You've got to be kidding me! If you buy a new TV and it doesn't work, you don't get it repaired, you get a new one!" I called GE customer service myself and told them that was not acceptable. They then told me that I would have to return to the point of sale and get THEM to replace it. So it's more calls to service which aren't getting returned. By now I'm getting really ticked off. Everyone is passing the buck around and refusing to take responsibility for the problem.

Well, to make a long story short (finally), I called the store and the service department yesterday and told them if this was not resolved by the end of the day, I was going to take it to the next level and it wasn't going to be pretty. That must have finally gotten their attention because they got in touch with the district manager and are sending a new one out next week, with apologies for the hassle. Yay!!

My point is that it should not have taken this long to get a resolution to my problem or require threats from me to get action that should have been taken immediately.

So, do you think service is really worse these days, or was this just an isolated incident?
Old 02-07-2004, 03:17 AM

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,155 Posts

If you've paid for these appliances via credit card call the credit card company immediately (phone number on back of card or bill) and put the entire bill in dispute. Tell them you are not paying for any of the appliances until all of them are made right. Explain the story to them and tell them that you will not pay until you get the new, working machines that you bought. Tell them to contact the merchant. This will bring results.

Document the problems in a letter and send the letter, return receipt requested, to the merchant and a copy (also return receipt requested) to the appliance manufacturer and the Virginia Department of Consumer Affairs (or Attorney General if there is no Dept of Consumer Affairs). This will get action.

Unfortunately, you are absolutely right, there is no service and it is very difficult to get proper treatment today. Unfortunately you have to throw your weight around to get treated fairly.
Old 02-07-2004, 03:21 AM

Well, you are right...those are all possible things to do. In this case, the credit card bill had already been paid, so I couldn't use that tactic.

I didn't want to have to write letters or get my attorney involved although I was prepared to do that if necessary. This should have been a simple transaction.
Old 02-07-2004, 04:02 AM

Originally posted by MsPerky
Well, you are right...those are all possible things to do. In this case, the credit card bill had already been paid, so I couldn't use that tactic.

I didn't want to have to write letters or get my attorney involved although I was prepared to do that if necessary. This should have been a simple transaction.
You are absolutely right. This should have been a simple, pleasurable transaction, but they take your heart out.

I meant to say that when you send the letters, make sure you put in the letter (as a c.c. notation that you are sending a copy to the Dept of Consumer Affairs.)

You might still call the credit card company. I believe they will stand behind you even after the bill is paid. Unfortunately, you don't have as much leverage, buy you can try.
Old 02-07-2004, 06:33 AM

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by ralper
Old 02-07-2004, 03:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like typical service for these days and times...

But seriously -- AMEX has been great ... we almost got screwed when National Airlines went out of business .. we had bought tixs to Vegas about 6 months before they went under and after they went bust AMEX gave us a credit even though we were past the 60 days one usually has to protest a charged item.
Old 02-07-2004, 03:32 PM

One of the things that you have to be especially careful of is to sign the delivery receipt "in bad condition" or "damaged". Put as much detail on the receipt as possible. If the delivery person won't allow for that don't accept the delivery.
Old 02-07-2004, 03:33 PM

Originally posted by Defender
Sounds like typical service for these days and times...

But seriously -- AMEX has been great ... we almost got screwed when National Airlines went out of business .. we had bought tixs to Vegas about 6 months before they went under and after they went bust AMEX gave us a credit even though we were past the 60 days one usually has to protest a charged item.
I've found Discover to be very customer friendly. Much better than Master Card or Visa. I don't have much experience with Amex.
Old 02-14-2004, 03:12 PM

Received 510 Likes on 303 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by ralper
Old 02-14-2004, 03:14 PM

An update...replacement washer/dryer delivered today. So I'm finally a happy customer. Took long enough.

Quick Reply: Service or lack thereof