S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Senseless Tragedy - Local teacher killed last night at the mall

Old 05-14-2016, 06:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by boltonblue
All:

Think for a moment back to your last bizarre dream or nightmare.
Remember how weird everything was?
but finally you woke up or maybe even during the dream you snapped to consciousness because it got so scary.
once awake you thought back and thought wow that was weird and got on with your life?

In the world of the schizophrenic, the two are intermingled.
There is no weird dream. The boundary between dreams, imagination, fantasy and nightmare has breached over into the world of reality.
There is no waking up and thinking that was weird because it all seems real.

ponder that as you go through your normal day.
Interesting take, boltonblue.

Thank you.
Old 05-14-2016, 06:42 PM

Received 1,125 Likes on 1,003 Posts

Originally Posted by Lainey
I agree Dave too many times this subject is swept under the rug. Mental illness has nothing to do with poor parenting or lack of values. Other acts of violence may have something to do with upbringing but not the actions committed by the mentally ill. We need to stop blaming parents for everything. You can have 4,5,10 kids all raised the same way and still have a wayward child or one with mental illness.

I don't have kids so bear with me. Is it really possible to raise ALL your kids the same way? My younger sister and I were raised very differently, she was/is my parents favorite. I think my parents learned from mistakes they made and did the opposite when raising her.
Old 05-15-2016, 04:11 AM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

Kids are all different. You try to "raise them the same" in terms of standards and values that you teach them and time you spend with them but they aren't like chickens. They have different needs, different abilities and different problems. So no, you don't "raise them all the same".
Old 05-15-2016, 05:16 AM

Received 2,965 Likes on 1,711 Posts

Originally Posted by Legal Bill
Kids are all different. You try to "raise them the same" in terms of standards and values that you teach them and time you spend with them but they aren't like chickens. They have different needs, different abilities and different problems. So no, you don't "raise them all the same".
Yes that's what I meant.
Old 05-15-2016, 08:30 AM

Received 3,720 Likes on 2,506 Posts

Too Lainey's point.
The parental genetics are similar, but obviously a different mix.
In most cases the housing and upbringing are very similar.
The oldest is the gets the benefit and burden of undiluted parental attention.
Parents learn and change, in fact their are some pretty funny ads out there about the first child versus 3rd child buying habits.
As a result no two kids are the same, even twins.
With that said, the parents are the same people, doing their best with all of their children, but many times it just doesn't matter.
Mental diseases don't discriminate by age, race, religion or wealth.

Wealth does play a significant role in treatment.
Having access to treatment, especially full-time inpatient beds can be the difference between recovery and living under a bridge, jail or even death.
It is not atypical for stays to be a month long with costs well north of a $100K.
Multiple stays may be necessary before the corner is turned.
The long and arduous process of gaining legal control to aid the inflicted individual requires expensive legal fees and psychiatric professionals.

One upside is communication is now cheap and plentiful.
30 years ago a cross country call for help was a more costly deal.
Now it is basically free. A stranger will let you use a cell phone for nothing or email on the library PC.
Old 05-15-2016, 09:29 AM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

Some of the people reading this thread might want to hear a mention of the victims. After all, the subject is the senseless killing, not mental health care.

Patricia Slavin was murdered by this killer in her home. According a family member on TV this morning, she heard a crash outside and went to the door where she actually let the killer in to her house in an effort to help him. Once in the house, he started looking through her cabinets and demanding to know where she kept her gun. She said she had no gun, so he took a knife and killed her. After he killed her and seriously wounded her daughter, Kathleen Slavin, he got into his stolen car and headed over to the Mall. There he attacked women shopping at Macy's including Laura Miola, Wendy Oliveira and Jucelia Gleason. He then went to a Bertuccis restaurant and attacked waitress Sheehah Savoy, stabbing her with a knife repeatedly. George Heath was a teacher out on a date with his wife. He tried to stop the murderer from killing Savoy and ended up giving his life as the killer stabbed him to death as well. At the hospital, Savoy was found to be pregnant. She and the baby are expected to survive.

The killer attacked many women on this rampage. In fact, the only man attacked was Heath who tried to stop him.
Old 05-15-2016, 09:39 AM

Received 2,965 Likes on 1,711 Posts

The senseless killing is a byproduct of the lack of mental health care, in my opinion.

However, the victims certainly need to be remembered.

The teacher taught at my granddaughter's high school. He was well liked. The kids at the school have had some rough days.