S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Senseless Tragedy - Local teacher killed last night at the mall

Old 05-12-2016, 03:40 AM

Received 2,965 Likes on 1,711 Posts

Originally Posted by boltonblue
Originally Posted by boltonblue' timestamp='1463004433' post='23964067
[quote name='dlq04' timestamp='1462980575' post='23963532']
So very sad. I saw it on the news but no mention of the mental issues, although that seemed apparent.
Tough to diagnose the mental state of a corpse....
Just saw on the evening news that the suspect was released from a mental institution hours before going on the rampage.

ugh even worse they are now reporting that he went to the hospital "because the devil was inside of him"
instead of treatment they kicked him loose after 11 hours....

as many of you know this is a hot button issue for me.
We need to fix the treatment capability.
One flew over the Cuckoo's nest was a long time ago and while it served a purpose but instead we know have hundreds of thousands walking the streets with no help.
[/quote]
It's (mental health care) is tough stuff. A family member has serious depression issues and has been treated at the hospital that released the "alleged" suspect. We found out the doctor that released this man also had some say in the care of the family member. We'll just say we were not happy with his input. Mental health care is a mess.
Old 05-12-2016, 03:57 AM

Received 5,329 Likes on 3,169 Posts

Originally Posted by Legal Bill
I'll take the gun. You take your chances.
When someone you love has a mental breakdown I seriously doubt your first thought will be “Where’s my gun!”
Old 05-12-2016, 04:28 AM

Received 3,720 Likes on 2,506 Posts

I will reiterate, please do not make this discussion about guns and get it moved to politics.

there is a mental health care crisis in this country and the discussion needs to brought out into the open.
Old 05-12-2016, 04:45 AM

^ Well, stop screaming and say what you want to say.
Old 05-12-2016, 04:48 AM

Received 737 Likes on 499 Posts

I will reiterate, please do not make this discussion about guns and get it moved to politics.

there is a mental health care crisis in this country and the discussion needs to brought out into the open.
Yes it does. My daughter is a Licensed Clinical Social Worker and she encounters this problem every day. And she agrees that more help is needed in treating this illness and it is not happening. I am very proud of her because she has helped people with mental disorders but the task is daunting and she wishes she could do more. We need to do more, start with writing letters or contacting people who can help these people.
Old 05-12-2016, 05:00 AM

Received 139 Likes on 90 Posts

I applaud your concern and volume.
Old 05-12-2016, 05:05 AM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

Ok. I'll stop talking about guns.

How is the mental health care crisis and any proposed solution not political?
Old 05-12-2016, 05:11 AM

Received 2,965 Likes on 1,711 Posts

There is a lack of facilities for people with mental illness, beds are scarce, providers are scarce. You may get an appointment with a social worker or a counselor, however if you need meds other than a typical dose of anti depressants that your primary may prescribe, there is a wait of WEEKS for an appointment with a shrink who will provide the meds. Unless you are in the hospital, it's a cluster ___ to get the proper meds, and if you leave the hospital, you will be given a limited supply/script as the patient is told "we can't change/adjust your meds since we aren't monitoring you. My family member was in and out of hospitals, the last time he was at the local hospital, the shrink was ready to send him home. This man was not eating properly, (he was a large man) has lost over 100 pounds, not showering, not compliant with meds at home, would not accept visits from home nurses, and would stay in bed just about all day. SEVERELY depressed. A social worker stepped in and got him into a geriatric psych bed in another hospital. This man and others continue to fall through the cracks. Legal guardianship has been obtained and still the nightmare continues as treatments the guardian can approve are still limited. A judge denied the last request for specific treatments in February. A year has passed. He has been in and out of medical facilities, and is now in a nursing home wasting away.

He is not violent, not suicidal, but in reality has been committing passive suicide. It has been a nightmare for his wife to get him the proper treatment, to get hospitals/facilities to keep him. She has battled with insurance companies, Medicare, doctors, shrinks, the whole bit. It's a mess and just a small sample of how bad the treatment is for the mentally ill.

Bill, I agree, any changes in mental health care are likely part of a political solution, but it would be nice to keep the discussion here....that may not happen. I am thankful that the off duty officer had a gun and used it. I don't know if things would have worked out the same if "Joe civilian" had been the one with a weapon. I'd much rather have an off duty officer diffuse this situation than a gun owner who has just practiced with his gun at the shooting range. Just my opinion, not a political statement in any way.

Jim/mods can edit my comment if too political.
Old 05-12-2016, 06:15 AM

Lainey, your story is being repeated everywhere across the country. Jails across the country having been begging for a solution since half their population probably needs help. Add to that the Vet hospitals, nursing homes, and those walking the streets and we have a crises without a plan to address it.
Old 05-12-2016, 01:31 PM

Received 737 Likes on 499 Posts

Maybe we should stop sending money to countries who hate us and start using it here on these very issues. Just saying, no politics.

Quick Reply: Senseless Tragedy - Local teacher killed last night at the mall